Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Is a 2" shackle/hanger kit required with v/b swap?

13K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  60xcur 
#1 ·
I am getting read to do a V/Modded B code spring swap on my excursion. I have looked at countless pics but still not sure if this is required. I read that the modded b in the back gives a little bit of a lift and most see about 1-1.5" with the v in front. I have a 2" hanger and shackled kit thinking that i needed it to get the level look with the truck unloaded. I don't mind a bit of back to front rake as it will help the truck sit level when loaded.

I guess my question is, is the lift required with the swap or do most just put the v code in and be done with it? I will be using the stock excursion blocks. Thanks!

Anthony

#3 ·
Pics when you get done. Just did a leveling kit on mine pretty much a nightmare. Had I of known I would have tried something different.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Attachments

#5 ·
You used unmodded B springs? I could swear someone told me that stock B springs wouldn't work. So you just swapped out the springs and kept the stock hangers and blocks? Did this raise your truck? How does it ride now?

#7 ·
Yes they are new stock springs. It has been several years since I put them on. They are fine although I would probably add the traction leaf from the original rear springs if I was to do it again.

Attachments

#8 ·

Sorry for not getting back guys, I have been pretty busy. A local mechanic wound up doing the swap for me for cash on the side so it worked out with me not having the time. Anyhow here are the pics after the install. The rear springs are the modded B codes and fronts are V's. The truck sits with a slight rake which i actually like and will get it to sit well after the trailer is hooked up. We did not use the 2" spring or shackle kit and we did not use an aftermarket track bar. The wheel and tire combo are nitto dura grappler 275/65-20 on a fuel "full blown" wheel with 5" backspacing an -12mm offset. There is no rubbing that I have noticed and the truck rides and handles much better. The shocks are the bilstein 4600, stock excursion in the back and stock F-250's in the front. I would highly recommend that anyone considering this do it, it makes it a completely different truck, it tracks straight down the road and rides smooth. Also, i did not install an aftermarket rear sway bar as mine had one stock, but will eventually change it.

#9 ·
First you have a really nice looking Excursion. I like the colors and the rim/tire choices. I would hate to have to post a pic of my Ole' Betsy now lol

So you used V up front with modded B's with no shackle changes or adj track bar? Which blocks did you use in the rear? If you could approx. how much lift did you gain from this? I have a completely stock suspension with stock rims/tires and wondered how much higher mines would sit with the same spring combo.

When I spoke with someone before they said I needed the adj track bar for the spring swap, what does it accomplish and do you have any problems with not using one?

How difficult was it for a shop to set alignment and did you use stock specs or asked for more castor which some say cures the "wandering" problem.

#10 ·
Rowekmr, yes stock v's up front with all stock hangers that were put back in, out with the old in with the new, other than new u-bolts that was it. We used stock excursion blocks in the back with the modded b codes. I haven't taken measurements yet but I would say without factoring the rim/tire lift gain it was about 3/4" in the back and about 1.5 in the front. It sits about level with an f-250 now, I think the rake looks good, it is barely noticeable. As for the front there was no mention from the mechanic about not getting the front aligned back under the truck. It has not had an alignment done on it yet as he wanted me to drive for a few miles to let everything settle in before we did that. I am extremely happy with the difference it made, it took a ton of play out of the wheel from stock and you don't have to constantly make adjustment to keep it going straight, as well as the overall ride of the truck is greatly improved and not harsh in any way. I highly recommend you do this swap as it makes these things feel like a much smaller car than they are! Any other questions just ask.

#15 · (Edited)
I did the same spring mod a while back. When I first got it back (I had the fronts done by a shop, I ended up doing the rears), the steering wheel was straight, but it had noticeably less steering travel on one side. So the swap does shift the axle slightly. I took it back and they were able to fix it without the adjustable trac bar. I'm guessing that the track bars are the same part for the trucks and the Excursions, so the axle could have ended up more centered (since I'm guessing the trac bar length is selected for the truck - pure speculation on my part though).

Also, I finally got around to upgrading to the Hellwig rear bar and replacing the rear shocks. What a difference! I had the stock rear bar, but the Hellwig is noticeably better. I also went with the yellow Bilsteins in the back.

Now all that's left is to replace all of the bushings up front. It's pretty clunky up there.

As far as where to buy, I bought the V codes from Ford and found the B's at a junkyard. I could never find a 30 mm bar. They were eternally backordered at Ford, and none of the junkyards had any. that's why I got the Hellwig. The Hellwig is bigger, adjustable, and has adjustable links so I think it is a better choice anyway.

Edit: I should add that the stock excursion ubolts are barely long enough to accommodate the B's with the stock spacer. I had about one thread protruding (yes, I temporarily used the old ubolts until I could get a set made up at my local spring shop).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.