Excursion Suspension Suggestions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Ford Excursion Discussion This forum is for topics relating to the excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2014, 08:06 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Excursion Suspension Suggestions

Hello geniuses;

Thank you to everyone for the advice and help you've been providing over the past few months. Even to those who don't know it; I've been doing a lot of reading and I've learned a lot from your comments.

I have a question relating to the suspension on the '05 Excursion 4X4 6.0L diesel.

I think I would be well served to add to or upgrade my suspension. Our old truck is an '09 Expedition with the air suspension on it. Rides like a dream. When my wife gets into the new/older Excursion, she's not going to be happy. Happy wife, Happy life.

So I'm hoping there's a solution out there that will smoothen the ride, give me load levelling when pulling my trailer, and be reliable for a long distance trip.

Suggestions?
rowekmr likes this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2014, 08:06 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Try Cary at CT Performance he seems to be the highly regarded expert on suspension mods and do a search on the V/B spring swap which seems to be the most popular one. There are others IiRC X or W for front and C and another for rears incl the springs on the 05 and up SD's.
Old 04-12-2014, 10:15 PM

Some useful threads:

Comprehensive "Steering Wander" Thread Compilation - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

V/Modified B codes, step-by-step - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums
Old 05-08-2014, 03:46 AM

I did the V's up front and the Modified B's in the rear with the stock Ex rear spacer. I did not want the additional lift that came with the 2" front hangers (or the expense for that matter). I also got the Hellwig bar for the rear and Bilstein yellows for the rear. HUGE improvement. I'm not hitting the bump stops up front, the truck sits slightly higher in the rear (pretty level with a trailer), and the ride and steering are more precise.
rowekmr likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to 60xcur For This Useful Post:
rowekmr (07-12-2014)
Old 05-08-2014, 07:00 AM

"I did not want the additional lift that came with the 2" front hangers (or the expense for that matter)."

Did you get much lift? I'm trying hard to avoid much lift, so that my kids can easily get in/out of the back. I know that's very different from most people here.

The stock Excursion suspension has enough payload and towing for me. Does the V/B swap have much effect or ride? Or does that all come from the shocks and sway bars?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
rowekmr likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnInCanada For This Useful Post:
rowekmr (07-12-2014)
Old 05-08-2014, 07:14 AM

I didn't measure before and after, but I would say I got 1-2 inches in the front and 2-3 inches in the rear. The rear bumper was noticeably higher after the rear swap. I can't really say how much of the improved ride was from the new spring rates vs the new shocks and sway bar. What necessitated the change for me was bottoming the front end. I had less than an inch between the spring and the bump stop up front. The truck was hitting the bump stops on speed bumps. Once the front was done, the rear sat lower than the front, so I did the rears too.
rowekmr likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to 60xcur For This Useful Post:
rowekmr (07-12-2014)
Old 05-08-2014, 07:22 AM

That makes total sense to me. I guess the springs aren't so expensive, so why not just do them right?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 07-07-2014, 02:42 PM

If you want a 'smooth' ride for the wife, then swapping the springs to V's and B's will not make her happy. V's and B's have more load carrying capacity and therefore are stiffer. Less comfortable overall but cornering and load carrying ability will be improved.

I went through all this with my '05 last year. I went with V's in the front and RAS over the stock rear springs. Lift was about 1" front and rear. It rides stiffer; like a truck should. But I tow a 10k tow hauler and feel this upgrade was mandatory for safety. I recently added Air Lift airbags to the stock rear springs to give me the last bit of leveling I needed that the RAS did not provide. RAS and Air Lift airbags can work/mount together.

Bilstein shocks! Big difference after swapping out old stock shocks.

If I wasn't towing as heavy as I am, I may have gone a different route which may work for you and your wife (don't know how much you are towing)...

For the smoothest/softest ride, leave the stock springs. Add 1-2" longer shackles to get the springs off of the bump stops. Airbags in the back for when you need to level the rear. And don't foget the Bilstein's. If cornering is tipsy, look at replacing all the sway bar bushings.

Edit: one more very important thing...tires. I run stock size E load range Toyo H/Ts'. Load Range E being the important part.
rowekmr likes this.

Last edited by mmuthart; 07-07-2014 at 02:53 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to mmuthart For This Useful Post:
rowekmr (07-07-2014)
Old 07-07-2014, 05:41 PM

I have been reconsidering the swap myself after driving a 07 F250 around. The suspension is definitely tighter and almost bouncy when going over RR tracks, it is definitely much stiffer. I am thinking that my Ex's suspension at 240k might just be worn out and might replace the bushings, shocks possible adding the 2" shackles and contemplating new stock springs or V/mod B or find if there are some with more spring rate than the Ex's spec but less than the V/B.

How do you like the RAS? How difficult to install?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmuthart View Post
If you want a 'smooth' ride for the wife, then swapping the springs to V's and B's will not make her happy. V's and B's have more load carrying capacity and therefore are stiffer. Less comfortable overall but cornering and load carrying ability will be improved.

I went through all this with my '05 last year. I went with V's in the front and RAS over the stock rear springs. Lift was about 1" front and rear. It rides stiffer; like a truck should. But I tow a 10k tow hauler and feel this upgrade was mandatory for safety. I recently added Air Lift airbags to the stock rear springs to give me the last bit of leveling I needed that the RAS did not provide. RAS and Air Lift airbags can work/mount together.

Bilstein shocks! Big difference after swapping out old stock shocks.

If I wasn't towing as heavy as I am, I may have gone a different route which may work for you and your wife (don't know how much you are towing)...

For the smoothest/softest ride, leave the stock springs. Add 1-2" longer shackles to get the springs off of the bump stops. Airbags in the back for when you need to level the rear. And don't foget the Bilstein's. If cornering is tipsy, look at replacing all the sway bar bushings.

Edit: one more very important thing...tires. I run stock size E load range Toyo H/Ts'. Load Range E being the important part.
Old 07-08-2014, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowekmr View Post
I have been reconsidering the swap myself after driving a 07 F250 around. The suspension is definitely tighter and almost bouncy when going over RR tracks, it is definitely much stiffer. I am thinking that my Ex's suspension at 240k might just be worn out and might replace the bushings, shocks possible adding the 2" shackles and contemplating new stock springs or V/mod B or find if there are some with more spring rate than the Ex's spec but less than the V/B.

How do you like the RAS? How difficult to install?
The RAS is 10 times easier to install then new rear leafs would be. 2 banana job; just takes a little patience to figure out how it all goes together.

As far as how it works....I only noticed that it stiffened up the rear end and gave me about an 1" of lift. It is adjustable to some degree. It's probably equivelant to adding the Code B's without the additional cost and complexity of install. The RAS is also supposed to prevent axle wrap, an added bonus, although I never experienced axle wrap with the stock soft spring all by itself.

I'm very happy with stock rear springs + RAS + airbags. If I ever need more lift, I'll swap out the shackles for 2" longer ones.
rowekmr likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to mmuthart For This Useful Post:
rowekmr (07-12-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.