Time for VC-9? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Ford Excursion Discussion This forum is for topics relating to the excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2014, 12:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Time for VC-9?

Just got a new to me 04 Excursion with 6.0PSD. Deltas are hovering around 14 degrees. My ECT is 186-188 with EOT at 200. Outside air was about 60 degrees. I did put a sinister coolant filter on it and blue spring but thats it. Should I flush with restore then VC-9 or restore only? Looking for a little guidance...

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2014, 01:07 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Try a very thorough back flush following this.

http://home.comcast.net/~lyon.family...ush%20v1-0.pdf

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 01-09-2014, 01:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Do you think I can salvage the cooler or am I just cleaning things out before I need to go get a new oil cooler put in? Has anyone had any luck doing this that actually lowered deltas for more than a couple of weeks?
Old 01-09-2014, 01:20 PM

You do a chemical flush and in mu opinion your gonna finish off the cooler. Your gonna break loose all the little pieces of krud and yes your coolant filter will catch some but the cooler will catch 99.999%.
Id say run your coolant filter and if you just gotta flush Id say a distilled water flush gently and refill.
Your oil cooler is on the way out. Leave it alone and monitor your temps and figure your time is limited. But in this time you can be getting your equipment ready for a new cooler. And it is very DIY friendly. And if you wanna knock it out of the ball park Id say look at something like Bullet Proof diesels set up. And yes it too is very DIY .
Old 01-09-2014, 01:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinnisoj View Post
You do a chemical flush and in mu opinion your gonna finish off the cooler. Your gonna break loose all the little pieces of krud and yes your coolant filter will catch some but the cooler will catch 99.999%.
Id say run your coolant filter and if you just gotta flush Id say a distilled water flush gently and refill.
Your oil cooler is on the way out. Leave it alone and monitor your temps and figure your time is limited. But in this time you can be getting your equipment ready for a new cooler. And it is very DIY friendly. And if you wanna knock it out of the ball park Id say look at something like Bullet Proof diesels set up. And yes it too is very DIY .
I think its a goner as well. I really don't like having to spend $1500 to get it fixed....My limited tool box and limited aptitude prevent me from DIY... This really irks me because I've owned it for only a month and during the test drive (20 minutes on the interstate) the delta was 7-9 degrees with outside temp of 70.
Old 01-09-2014, 01:42 PM

Find a sticky here titled "Paramedic Saves 6.0." That will boost your confidence.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 01-09-2014, 02:02 PM

You'd be very surprised at what little tools you will need. A basic hand tool set is pretty much all you need. ( I cant remember if you need torque wrench or not...) but check out some videos. I was very surprised at how easy it is. And you can save a BOAT load of cash....
Old 01-09-2014, 03:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the help guys...If the flush doesn't work, I just may try to do it myself...saving over a grand would be really nice.
Old 01-09-2014, 03:45 PM
information regurgitator

Yes, you will need a torque wrench.
It looks alot more complicated than it really is. Taking it one step at a time, and labeling where stuff goes will make it real easy.
There is an step-by-step link in my signature that can help you...and if you get stuck anywhere along the line, you can always turn to the Org.
Old 01-09-2014, 03:47 PM

The site is here if you decide to do the change yourself. A lot of truck crazy guys that love to help! Good luck,keep us posted how it goes for ya!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.