Real world Ex suggestions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Ford Excursion Discussion This forum is for topics relating to the excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2014, 08:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Real world Ex suggestions

I'm looking for advice from some Ex experts.

I have owned my early 04 Ex 4x4 Limited for 2 months.
It has the blue spring, EGR delete, 4inch cat back exhaust, and 89,243 miles.
I have been checking the coolant/oil and the head gaskets seem fine. I know I need to put in studs, but at this time the stock bolts seem ok. I also plan on getting rid of the lift, 36s, and moving down to 33s.

1. I plan on buying an Edge CTS next month so I can start monitoring the 6.0, what other gauges do you guys recommend?

2. I plan on towing about 8,000 lbs of travel trailer this summer, but I will also be buying a SCT tuner. What tune do you guys recommend without studs?

3. I'm retiring from the Army so cash is a little tight so I plan on babying the thing until I can confirm my FCIM, batteries, fuel system, and bullet proofing are completed. Is there anything that I'm missing?

Thanks,
Mark
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2014, 12:54 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

The CTS will have everything you need. You can buy the probes for EGT and fuel pressure if you want, for towing that's a good idea.

If money is tight and you're worried about making the truck last I'd personally buy the SCT following the bulletproof stuff.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
The Following User Says Thank You to SargentoPistola For This Useful Post:
Rangervall (01-09-2014)
Old 01-09-2014, 05:42 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks Sargentopistola, I think your right about waiting on the SCT. I need to focus on dependability before I start playing around with tuning. That's not as fun, but it's the right call for a non studded truck.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:54 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

You're driving a diesel Excursion, that's really fun by itself.

I'm in the same boat as you mostly. Have a stock 04 Ex with an MBRP exhaust. Had the EGR and Oil Cooler replaced 50k ago with the head gaskets. Just getting to know the truck still. I don't need to race it, it can tow great as it is, and it's just a fun truck to own and the family is really comfortable in it. Just want it reliable but am on a "fixed income" like you as well.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 01-09-2014, 06:50 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I wanted a diesel Excursion back in 99 while I was stationed in Alaska, I just didn't want to pay the sticker price back then. I plan on driving this one until it's dead, then bring it back to life again.

I hope to finish rewiring, painting, and then sell the 78 Bronco in the background in the next two months in order to free up cash to finish bullet proofing the Ex.

Good luck with yours!
Old 01-10-2014, 04:24 PM
Serving Our Country!

I have an 05 that we bought brand new, best vehicle I have ever owned. I am at 190k now, still on the stock head bolts and still have EGR. I have had several different Edge products on it since it was new and it's still going strong. The key to a 6.0 is maintenance, keep your fluids changed regularly, rev x oil additive is a great thing to add as well. To answer your question above in my opinion here we go:

1. Do not buy an Edge. I have owned several and once I went with SCT I will never go back. I currently run the SCT Livewire TS with custom tunes from Innovative Diesel. Any SCT dealer will ask if your truck is studded or not when they build your tune. They will also ask about all of your modifications you have down to the tire size you are running.

2. Eric at Innovative Diesel did my tunes, I got the extreme street, 20K tow and street. If you want to really bring your excursion to life, SCT and Innovative diesel is a great place to start.

3. One thing I would check is your coolant pressure. Youtube videos on how to make a hero kit or how to tell if a 6.0 has a blown head gasket. You can make this kit for around $35, thats what mine cost me. I thought I had a head gasket/stud problem because coolant was bubbling out of the degas bottle. I made this kit and checked my pressures and they were fine. Changed the cap out, and no more overflow. Cost me $5 at napa for a new cap. If you cant figure out how to make this kit I will be glad to send you mine and let you use it. Lastly I would highly recommend a coolant filter be added. Do some research on these as well, they can be bought for 100-150, mine is made by Sinister but there are others out there as well. Going to send you a PM with my number if you have any more Ex questions.

Last edited by kyle23462; 01-10-2014 at 04:36 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kyle23462 For This Useful Post:
JohnInCanada (02-15-2014), Rangervall (01-10-2014), rowekmr (03-02-2014)
Old 01-10-2014, 04:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks a lot Kyle. I was looking into the SCT Livewire, but I didn't find much on here. I'll start looking at them again. I'll also hit up Youtube tonight.
Old 01-10-2014, 04:45 PM
Serving Our Country!

Sounds good, you have my number if you have questions. Im in Pax River MD by the way.
Old 01-19-2014, 07:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks

Hi Guys; thanks for starting this thread.

I'm currently pulling a 7,300 (dry) 32' trailer with a '09 Expedition EL. I'm strongly considering moving to a '04-'05 Diesel Excursion. I need insight and advice.

This summer I will be starting a year-long tour of north America.

I want the extra pulling power of the 6L diesel, and the fuel economy that will come of it. The 5.4L gas engine just doesn't seem to have the guts I want. The fuel economy gets nasty at about 60mph, so pulling on an interstate will be less than pleasant.

But I'm worried about buying a nearly 10 year old truck for such a long trip. How has it held up? I don't just mean the engine, but the whole vehicle. Is it solid? Cheap/easy to fix?

And finally, what modifications do you think I should make to a stock '04-05 Excursion?

Thanks guys!
Old 01-19-2014, 07:58 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I would talk to Cary at CT Performance Inc. He knows a LOT about our Excursions, especially how to make them ride and handle better.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Term3 For This Useful Post:
JohnInCanada (02-15-2014), rowekmr (03-02-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.