Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

DIESEL FUEL ADDITIVE????

94K views 34 replies 22 participants last post by  Vannnce 
#1 ·
Have 04 Excursion with 6.0 Powerstroke. Own about 5 months and have been using Ford's fuel additive. Is there something better to use?
Gary :icon_ford:

#5 ·
If we’re talking about the same thing; I mix 1 gallon of pure, certified, soy based biodiesel in with 44 gallons of regular mineral diesel. [My tank holds 44 gallons] You can still use other blends to get this ratio such as B20 – just pump 5 gallons of that to equal one gallon of pure biodiesel. This ratio is well below the Ford recommended limit of B5 concentration. Now this just really has to do with increasing the lubricity of the fuel to help protect the internal wear of the fuel system, but if your talking about something to help clean out your fuel system, say after its been contaminated or something, I haven’t really experienced a situation like that. Hope this helps a little. Run a search for Tank’s Library. There is a wealth of information in there.

#6 ·
i dont know how many times we must state this. powerservice products is the only way to go. the diesel kleen is not anti gel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
it is only for summer only, it will freeze. use the white anti gel bottle in the winter to prevent gelling, the red 911 bottles are for when your already froze. i use the white bottle and mine started at -14 this morning. it cranked over and started so smooth, you wouldnt think it was that cold out, so it does work

#7 ·
Just for the record Ford doesn't recommend Diesel Kleen for the 6.0 liter and the 6.4 liter diesels they recommend there own diesel additive which I switched to last fall and have seen a definite difference.
Diesel kleen is for the 7.3 and older diesel engines. Do what you want but I would think ford should know what is best for their engines and I am going to do what ford says as I still have warranty left on my truck and am not taking any chances on them telling me I used the wrong additive.

#12 ·
blowhole
here is the info
[PM-22-A] Motorcraft Diesel Cetane Booster and Performance Improver(PM22A)
SKU: PM-22-A
• Size: 20 oz.
• Fuel Treatment(Gallons): Treats 125 gallons
• Manufacturer: Motorcraft
• MSDS data sheet: Details
• Shipping Details Details
• Specials & Discounts: Details
Note: This ultra-low formulation can be used in engines required to meet 2007 emissions requirements (e.g., Ford's 6.4 L diesel engine) and is backward compatible as well (i.e., can be used in Ford's 6.9 L, 7.3 L, and 6.0 L diesel engines).
• Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel (ULSD) Compliant
• Specially formulated for diesel engines to combat the effects of poor-quality diesel fuel
• Boosts the Cetane Rating (fuel ignitability) of diesel fuel for improved starting performance
• Increases power
• Smooths engine operation
• Improves fuel economy
• Adds lubricity to fuel to reduce engine wear

[PM-23-A] Motorcraft Diesel Anti Gel and Performance Improver(PM23A)-REPLACES PM-18-A
SKU: PM-23-A
• Size: 20 oz.
• MSDS data sheet: MSDS data sheet
Note: This formulation can be used in all 2006 and 2007 Ford vehicles equipped with the 6.0 L diesel engine. It cannot be used in the new 2008 6.4 L diesel engine or any vehicle that requires ultra low sulfur diesel fuel. New product formulations meeting requirements for ultra low sulfur diesel fuel vehicles are being finalized and will be available at a later date.
• Specially formulated for diesel engines to combat the effects of poor-quality diesel fuel
• Helps prevent gelling of diesel fuel in lines, filters, and tanks
• Improves starting ability in cold weather
• Improves fuel economy
• Each 20 fluid oz. bottle treats 125 U.S. gallons of diesel fuel

Also available in gallons

[PM-22-GAL] Motorcraft Diesel Cetane Booster and Performance Improver_GALLON(PM22A)
SKU: PM-22-GAL
• Size: 1 gallon(128oz)
• Fuel Treatment(Gallons): Treats 1000 gallons
• MSDS data sheet: Details
Note: This ultra-low formulation can be used in engines required to meet 2007 emissions requirements (e.g., Ford's 6.4 L diesel engine) and is backward compatible as well (i.e., can be used in Ford's 6.9 L, 7.3 L, and 6.0 L diesel engines).
• Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel (ULSD) Compliant
• Boosts the Cetane Rating (fuel ignitability) of diesel fuel for improved starting performance
• Increases power
• Improves fuel economy
• Adds lubricity to fuel to reduce engine wear

I know some think I am stupid to stick with Ford but if you buy a company's product who do you think knows it best? the manufacturer or some shad tree know it all?
My dealer is not the dealer I bought my truck from and they have been great to me and i will not risk screwing it up by not following what they recommend. It has worked great in my truck and that is all I care about as it is my money that I am protecting. They have come and picked my truck up twice at no cost to me to get it worked on.
The only major thing that has gone on it has been the generator/alternator that was defective from the beginning we just couldn't prove it until crapped out last fall. It was still under warranty so they fixed it on there dime and I am happy.

#13 ·
shdwlkr -- Thanks for the info, man!! I appreciate.

Where do you buy that stuff? Dealer only? Is it available anywhere else? (I will try and Google it and see what happens. But probably can't ship that stuff, so internet purchase is out?!?)

#34 ·
You can get a gallon (as of this writing) of PM 22 A for just under $60 on Amazon, includes free shipping. 1 Gal treats up to 1,000 gallons of fuel. PM 23 is $14.00 and if you place it on the same order as the PM 22, shipping is again free. Steer clear of Qualityauto on eBay, they charge $7 something per 20 oz of the Cetane booster and have a $14+ dollar shipping, making it VERY expensive from pure greed. Also, Ford recommends it for use in ALL of their diesel engines, no restriction on years. Hope this update helps everybody looking for current answers.

#14 ·
Only place I have found it so far is at a ford dealership. I would pick one that has sold lots of diesels and has some real diesel mechanics as are the ones that seem to have it and move it.
Like I said my dealer is not who I bought my truck from but we have kept mine running and that is what matters to me. My mechanic that works on my truck has also put a few changes on the truck which has helped. Did the flash to help it start better in the cold and it has worked and the glow plugs don't stay excessive long like they used to. So I am very happy with my dealer and we talk about all the mods folks have done to there trucks and I have seen a few that where toast because of it and one that claimed the truck hadn't been chipped or modded but even I could find a few mods just looking at it and the engine was being replaced totally the owners cost but he didn't care as it was a toy to him and he had the money to burn. If you play and it breaks you have to realize you are going to pay.
I plan on putting a larger exhaust pipe and a larger fuel tank and a gauge or two or three and that is it I am done with changes and hope to be driving the truck 10 years from now.

#17 ·
geoff
I have seen the video and based on that and talking to my ford dealer I am running ford's additive. Would use stanadyne if I could find it but for the money I am happy with fords and like I said my truck is running better since switching form diesel Kleen which was made for the 7.3 L and older diesels.
You have to use what you can get even if it might not be the very best. One thing that some still don't get is that most diesel fuel is at 40 cetane or less as there is no stand for cetane in this country and most engines are designed to run at least 45 cetane and when you get your new truck from ford it might have 50 cetane or better in the tank so it runs real good until you go fill it up. Now in my truck ford's additive works great in yours it might not but you will never know until you try it and if it doesn't work go find another additive that is good like diesel Kleen, stanadyne, lucas and find which one your engine likes and stick with it.

#18 ·
shdwlkr - Thanks for the reference and info, you are a world of help. I will invest in some of that and see if there is any difference in my trucks get up.

geoff - That is a great site, thanks for referring me. That dude has a good amount of really useful information.

Cheers.

#21 ·
I can buy it at my ford dealership for about $1 less then I can buy a gallon of diesel kleen at walmart. don't think I have seen standyne that cheap anywhere.
The thing with all of these additives is just because one works in my truck doesn't mean you will get the same results in your truck. Strange but I know it works that way as I know some who have 6.0L that diesel kleen works better.
the bottom line here is that using a good additive works better then none

#22 ·
Good deal, shdwlkr. All I can do is try and see if any work at all. Not that my truck is running bad, but I would like to run it smart so it lasts! Thanks for your help.

#23 ·
2004 F350 6.0 Crew Cab SWD

Can anyone tell me how to get 10-15 more horse power and better fuel economy out of my truck while pulling a 8-14K trailer. It has 178,000 on a good day, no head wins and little hills I might get 8-9.5 mpg. On a bad day 5.5-8 mpg. I hear all these stories of guys getting 17-20 mpg pulling a heavy trailer? I'm lucky to get 17 mpg empty and a good day with the wind behind me.:dunno:

#24 ·
well if you are looking for a good additive, ive experimented with many things, working at autozone ive had the benefit of trying many of our products. what ive found works best, is buying a bottle of the diesel 911, a small bottle of the diesel kleen cetane boost, diesel kleen injector cleaner what have you, a bottle of seafoam, and a small bottle of lucas injector cleaner, take a glass large enough to hold the contents of the diesel kleen cetane boost, pour said liquid into the glass, now put about 6 capfulls of the lucas (using the lucas cap into the diesel kleen bottle, then put exactly 9 capfulls of the seafoam in the same bottle, pause, mix completely, then pour about a quarter of the diesel kleen cetane boost into said bottle. put no more than 4 capfulls of the diesel 911 into the bottle with the mixture in it. then pour about another quarter of the diesel kleen injector cleaner in. cap the bottle shake well, and add to an almost empty tank, (one bottle of this mixture wil treat the 44 galon tank of an ex, but you can always increase the ammounts if you have a large tanked superduty. Ive been doing this for over 5 months and have really seen a difference, its not as slugish and startup is noticably quicker. combine this with a fresh set of fuel filters and yopu cant go wrong!

#27 ·
I use Redline diesel additive, you can get it for a good price on Amazon.com. Keeps the 6.0 in my Excursion running great.

#28 ·
Let's see, Ford recommends you buy and use a Ford product in your Ford vehicle. Wonder why :tard:
They recommend THEIR additive, THEIR oil, THEIR filters, etc., . . .
Just read the bottle of the diff additives and decide for yourself.

#29 ·
Anybody use the Amsoil additive?

#30 ·
I've been using Stanadyne performance formula with pretty good results. I've used the Amsoil in the past with no noticeable results. I just order the Opti-Lube XDP which placed 2nd highest on the results comparison for fuel additives. I thought I'd give it a try to see how it works. IMHO any additive should be helpful as long as it doesn't contain any alcohol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.