SCT Programer - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Ford Excursion Discussion This forum is for topics relating to the excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2008, 01:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
SCT Programer

I am new to the board and have looked, but am unable to find a specific answer to this question.

I have a 04 Excursion and will be towing a max of about 5K just on some weekends, but up and down the mountains.

I am wondering if the extra money for a SCT custom programer is worth it instead of buying a SCT Economizer programer? I am not looking to do any other modifications, just increase my MPG. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2008, 01:19 PM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Custom programming will be worth it Especially when towing
Old 09-05-2008, 01:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Will the custom programming provide more MPG than the Economizer to justify the extra cost, or does it just increase overall performance which gives the increase in MPG? I've also been told that any programmer will raise your EGTs and can burn your tranny and that guages are necessary. Sorry for the questions, this is my first diesel.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:43 PM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Yes you want gauges. The custom tuning is much better for you trans than anything, as the tuner changes shift parameters and such to make it last as well.

Im running Innovatives Xtreme Street tune on my rig I average 19.8-21 highway 16-17 city, and I towed 5000lbs for 250 miles the other day and still got an average of 16-17 mpg highway
Old 09-05-2008, 01:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Could I get by without guages for a while if I got the custom tuner, or is that a bad idea? I have the stock tranny guage, which is possibly better than nothing. I don't have the budget to get guages and a tuner at the same time.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:55 PM
Almostdunfukinwidit

You could if you had too. But i would not do it for long. What is your budget at this point?
Old 09-05-2008, 02:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Maybe I'm wrong...but if you were to drive like a normal person and not "hot rod" or tow close to or over the rated ability of the vehicle. Wouldn't guages be a bit overkill even with a tuner installed?
MOST of the motor blowing stories I've come across involved pulling, or tire smoking silliness and usualy involving an extreme state of tune not an economy mode or someome trying to get better fuel economy. Fun activities I'm sure but generally not involved in MOST peoples daily driving habits.
And from what I just read today one individual is having warranty repair done after a tuner induced failure. The individual said don't install guages if it's under warranty.
Old 09-05-2008, 02:41 PM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad4good View Post
Maybe I'm wrong...but if you were to drive like a normal person and not "hot rod" or tow close to or over the rated ability of the vehicle. Wouldn't guages be a bit overkill even with a tuner installed?
MOST of the motor blowing stories I've come across involved pulling, or tire smoking silliness and usualy involving an extreme state of tune not an economy mode or someome trying to get better fuel economy. Fun activities I'm sure but generally not involved in MOST peoples daily driving habits.
And from what I just read today one individual is having warranty repair done after a tuner induced failure. The individual said don't install guages if it's under warranty.
Gauges are never "overkill" especially with a tuner. As to not installing gauges if its under warranty. thats just crazy. Gauges wont void your warranty, and they allow you to keep an eye on whats happening with your truck
Old 09-05-2008, 02:50 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I did not see were you have exhaust. I am one of many on here that tow daily. I would highly recommend doing exhaust before a tuner, Just for the simple fact of lowering your EGT's. But DAVE is right, The SCT will save your tranny and is the ONLY tuner you should be looking at, I am not firmly will the "Econo mpg SCT" but if it was me and $ was part of the equation, I would look for a pre owned x2 or x3.

Plus I would only run a 65H.P. or lower Tow tune when towing, Just for safety reasons, Any tune will give you better MPG's But it is a must to do things right on a 6.0L. As I said I tow heavy stuff allot. I have 109,000 on the clock run an X2 and have have NO major problems. But i have a straight pipe dumped at the door. In my opinion that is the BEST way to lower EGT's.

Good luck.
Old 09-05-2008, 02:55 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Gauges are never "overkill" especially with a tuner. As to not installing gauges if its under warranty. thats just crazy. Gauges wont void your warranty, and they allow you to keep an eye on whats happening with your truck
100% agree, Two things that are deathly important on a 6.0L motor.
1- clean oil, Our injectors are very particular.
2- Head bolts are weak, To much boost will blow head gaskets. You can over boost with a mild tune pulling 5k up a small long hill. Guages boost/egt An egt gauge will tell you everything you need to know when pulling.

Last edited by BryanH; 09-05-2008 at 03:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.