04 excursion - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Ford Excursion Discussion This forum is for topics relating to the excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2013, 10:05 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
04 excursion

Hi, I'm new to powerstroke and diesel world. I recently purchased an 04 excursion limited 4X4 6.0. It has 170,000 miles on it, EGR delete, A.R.P. Studs. 4" diamond eye exhaust straight pipe from turbo back. That's the stuff I've noticed that has been done to it. I've got an issue with coolant coming out of degas bottle only when you get on it I notice it. I've done a coolant flush on it with the ford VC-9 and refilled withe zerex cat coolant. I put an after market coolant gauge on it but haven't seen any temps above 220. I only have heat when I'm on highway. I've replaced the thermostat also. I'd like to get this problem taken care of and then I'd like to try to get around 500-600 horsepower out of it. I know head gaskets have been replaced but don't know what brand nor if heads were machined. That was done before I bought it. Also notice gurgling in coolant system.

My questions are:
What could my coolant issue be?
Is there any updates to this motor I need to look for or do?
And what is best way to achieve my horsepower goals?

Thanks for any info!!!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2013, 12:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Sounds like you have leaking head gaskets. Are you sure you it has ARP studs? You may need to do a coolant pressure check. Info is on Youtube.
Old 11-05-2013, 04:03 PM

Yes. It does have ARP studs. And what I can see of the head gaskets they are black.

Old 11-05-2013, 07:08 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickellhead View Post
My questions are:
What could my coolant issue be?
Is there any updates to this motor I need to look for or do?
And what is best way to achieve my horsepower goals?

Thanks for any info!!!

1) Head gaskets
2 & 3) I'm new(er) as well. Best idea I can give you is READ READ READ. I have a piece of paper beside me and have spent hours flipping through the forums just marking down little notes here and there on what to look for, who's done what, what's working out there, reputation of who replies when looking for solid answers. My list will hopefully be coming to fruition in the next month or so. Patiently waiting to ask the major questions, IMO, tend to get the main guru's helping you along. If you read and understand alot of the details along the way it doesn't waste alot of their time trying to interpret the thread you've started. These guys/gals here know there stuff
Old 11-05-2013, 08:03 PM

Thanks! I have a puzzling thought. I know if the head gaskets were leaking exhaust into the cooling system it would cause it to over pressurize but what really confuses me is if I leave it sit for 3-4 days and then check the coolant it still has pressure on it. If they were leaking and after engine has cooled wouldn't the coolant leak into the cylinder to relieve pressure?

Old 11-05-2013, 08:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Good question! My X with stock bolts did the same. leaked under load out the degas bottle and would hold pressure when cold. They leak under pressure(stretch) not when under low load or off. I have heard of people installing only the studs that are visible to fake out customers before. Do you know who did the studs?
Old 11-05-2013, 08:20 PM

The studs, head gaskets (look new from where they hang out of head area), and EGR delete was done before I bought it.

Old 11-05-2013, 09:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Well I have tried some other ways to check that did not work but I would try the pressure test of the cooling system while driving shown in several Youtube videos. If you are getting puking out of the degas bottle on flat ground without a programmer you have a good sized leak somewhere.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Also as I recall there were some Victor head gaskets called Black something that were known to be bad.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:13 AM

Thanks! I'll do the pressure test and get back to you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.