03 X, want to upgrade to 05 Headlights and grille - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Ford Excursion Discussion This forum is for topics relating to the excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2008, 03:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
03 X, want to upgrade to 05 Headlights and grille

Does anyone know if the 05 and up Excursion/SuperDuty Headlights will swap out with the pre 05 lights? I know the 05+ grille won't swap out without modification but I am eyeing a modified factory 05+ grille on ebay that looks like a well done custom piece.
Just need to know about the headlights, as far as if there are any mounting bracket issues or such, I know there is a need for an upgraded wiring harness, but other than that I'm still researching the possibilities.

Thanks for any help provided.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2008, 04:04 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

You can do the heads with just a few minor tweaks....cutting of the header panel and stuff...I forget exactly what, but its not that hard.

And you can buy modified 05 grilles off Ebay that will work with the stock bumper and look great.
Old 08-03-2008, 01:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Back to the headlights. I'm reading now that with the swap to the 05'+ headlights I will lose my daytime running lights as well as control of the factory foglights with the factory headlight/foglight switch?
The simple harness upgrade from dfuser runs around $50, and apparently the harness upgrade that allows use of daytime running lamps and fogs runs around $150, but it still doesn't allow use of the factory headlight switch to operate the fogs?
Am I fairly accurate on this? Seems to be a bit more involved than just swapping lights and a cheap harness to retain total factory control.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra4v04 View Post
Back to the headlights. I'm reading now that with the swap to the 05'+ headlights I will lose my daytime running lights as well as control of the factory foglights with the factory headlight/foglight switch?
The simple harness upgrade from dfuser runs around $50, and apparently the harness upgrade that allows use of daytime running lamps and fogs runs around $150, but it still doesn't allow use of the factory headlight switch to operate the fogs?
Am I fairly accurate on this? Seems to be a bit more involved than just swapping lights and a cheap harness to retain total factory control.
anyone know the scoop on this? why would this change anything all you are changing is the bucket and pigtail for the new bulbs right?
Old 01-26-2009, 07:01 AM

I've reasearched this for a while, and this is the first I've heard of it. Then again, I've never seen anyone that did it with daytime running lights.
Old 01-26-2009, 05:16 PM

I am mainly concerned about the fog lights. But I don’t see how changing the bulbs out can affect that. I always have my headlight switch on the automatic setting with the fog light on, so as long as I retain that feature I’m happy.
Old 01-26-2009, 07:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have an 03 limited with the 05 front end. Bought it this way and my fog lights work with the factory switch. The auto funtion works also. I didn't do the conversion, but can't imagine them not working.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.