increase MPG??????????/ - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Ford Excursion Discussion This forum is for topics relating to the excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2008, 11:10 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question increase MPG??????????/

I have a 2004 Excursion 6.0 powerstroke purchased 5 months ago. Had all filters changed, installed cold air induction and a Super Chip in performance mode. Getting around 11 MPG in city and 14 on highway. Funny thing is that my mpg was slightly better by 1 mpg in performance mode. I do not stomp on pedal and try to drive conservative. I was told that I did the first to steps with cold air and super chip and now should change out exhaust from turbo back to 4" or 5". The price of fuel today has anybody changed exhaust size and experienced better mpg????????? A guy I know at midas muffler said not to do because it would effect turbo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2008, 11:35 AM
Premium Member

yep get you a 4in Turbo back system, no need for the 5in unless you plan on getting really crazy with the mods. Dont worry it will not have any adverse effects on your turbo. Make sure you loose the kitty too, mine was really stopped up when I took it off.
If your running a chip you really need a set of gauges.
Everyone on here including myself, will recommend that you get rid of the superchip and get a custom Tuned SCT. Your tranny will thank you. They are hands down the best for the 6.0

With my setup I am getting 19mpg on the highway, and 14-16 in town.

Oh ya

Old 07-20-2008, 12:14 PM
Blowin Smoke

I agree with everything Strokin04 said. Go with a 4" turbo back exhaust and you'll notice a difference in turbo performance and your MPG's (about 1 more MPG). The Midas guy is full of cap about it being bad for your turbo. It's actually better for your turbo because it lowers your Exhaust Gas Temps (EGTs) and lets the air move more freely out of the turbo.
Old 07-20-2008, 02:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Have 2 questions. What is a tuned SCT versus the Super Chip and do you feel better about SCT? I bought? What do you mean by "loose the kitty".
Thanks for response and info
Gary
Old 07-20-2008, 03:11 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

lose the kitty is lose the catalitic converter. also try putting your air box back to stock cause when i did mine on all my trucks i lost mpg's. im gonna try it on this truck and see what happens. actually when i installed the afe and the small mouth intake elbow, i lost 5 mpg.
Old 07-27-2008, 09:02 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Totally stock '04 with the exception of a custom SCT and I get 19-20 highway mpg on the economy setting...
Old 07-28-2008, 08:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

did you install a 4 inch exhaust from the turbo back and are you familiar with the super chip? Replys are favoring the SCT instead of the super chip.
Old 07-28-2008, 01:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by undrh2o View Post
Totally stock '04 with the exception of a custom SCT and I get 19-20 highway mpg on the economy setting...
At 11 to 14 mpg I'd be looking for a problem with the engine. My stock low mile 03 gets around 15 -18 and I drive hard. I got 15 mpg towing a 7000 pound Searay.

The 4" exhaust can only help. That muffler shop guy sounds a little out of touch.
good luck,
Old 07-30-2008, 05:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I'm new to Powerstrokes, new to working on truck.

What type of SCT should I look into for my 2007 F350 6.0? Best place to purchase? Ease of installation? Any other mods recommended for fuel efficiency, I already have 4" exhaust.

Thanks,
Scott
Old 11-23-2008, 09:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Do you guys suggest to delete the muffler also? I was told taking the muffler out is a bad idea on the 6l but removing the cat is fine. I would like to go strait pipe and possibly a dump valve nut don't want to break anymore stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.