Just brought home my new to me 6.0L Ex - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Ford Excursion Discussion This forum is for topics relating to the excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2013, 10:21 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Just brought home my new to me 6.0L Ex

First off thanks for everyone on this side for all the amazing information. I had been looking for a diesel vehicle for a bit and decided to give the 6.0 a try. Hopefully it will run well for me.

I just picked up a 2003 Excursion 6.0L Limited. Saw it on ebay through a dealer with great ratings and they posted a ton of pictures. Flew down, picked it up and drove it 900 miles home. This is my first diesel and first vehicle with that size fuel tank. Ouch. First fill up was $138 for 36 gallons of fuel.

The Ex drives great. Amazing amount of power once you get the beast rolling and I was loving that turbo sound. I have a 99 Corvette and 2010 STI at home so this will not be getting monster power mods but it's fun knowing I could if I ever want to.

It looks like my Ex might be lifted a little as it does seem to have a bit higher stance than others i've looked at. I'll need to crawl under it and look. It has brand new 33" Duratrac tires and even with the knobby larger tires I was able to get over 18mpg doing 70+ mph on the way home.

It has 145K miles and loaded. On the way home though the tow/haul light started to blink. It would not do it all the time, but about 50% of the time. I cannot really figure out a rhyme or reason when it will come on. Does not seem to drive any different though the RPM's are a little higher, maybe it's not going into overdrive. I'm taking it to a local mechanic this afternoon to scan the codes and see what's going on in there. Hopefully it's just a sensor or solenoid. I'm also going to get the tires balanced as there is a shudder when I get over 65 mph. And an alignment.

I will also be changing the oil this weekend, but after reading the million threads on oil, i'm still just as confused as to what weight oil to use. 5w40, 15w40 or even 10w30.

And I will also be changing the coolant as soon as possible. This seems to be a heavily debated topic as well. Not sure if I should change it using the Ford Gold and then change it again in the spring to the good Cat stuff and put on a filter at that point? I'll be doing a fair amount of driving with it in the next few weeks, probably 1500 miles at least. So my thinking is to drain what is in there, put in good quality replacement and then do the major change and coolant filter when I have more time to do it right.

My other question is, where is the brake control harness located? I found it in a minute on my armada but cannot find it on the Excursion. Need to hook up my brake controller so I can take my travel trailer back to storage.

I will also be researching an economy tune as i'd like to see if I can get up to 20mpg with this thing.

Picks from the dealer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2013, 10:25 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
If you have cold winters, Use Synthetic 5w40

If you have palm trees at home, use regular 15w40 if you want to!
Old 10-18-2013, 10:29 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

It would help if I edited my profile to say where I live huh. I'm up in PA, near Lancaster out in Amish country. Winters are cold here, though not nearly as cold as they use to be. It's not unheard of to get down to 0 and a little below 0 for a few weeks a year. I bought the excurion in Jacksonville FL, thus the palm trees. I95 is a VERY boring highway to travel.
Old 10-18-2013, 01:05 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

run the 5w-40. its good stuff and will help with cold starts. Make sure you use a MC or racor oil filter. Go ahead and change the fuel filters too

Coolant flush is a good idea but just realize there is a good chance shortly after the switch your oil cooler will get clogged and need to be replaced
Old 10-18-2013, 01:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
congrats on the new Rig
Old 10-18-2013, 02:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro22 View Post
run the 5w-40. its good stuff and will help with cold starts. Make sure you use a MC or racor oil filter. Go ahead and change the fuel filters too

Coolant flush is a good idea but just realize there is a good chance shortly after the switch your oil cooler will get clogged and need to be replaced
Get clogged by running the different coolant? or just that there's a good chance it will be clogged already?

I've thought about just getting a new one anyway as preventative maintenance.

Took it over to a local shop today to have the codes read. I forget the exact code but its the TSS. Spoke with a trans shop and they said it could be just the solenoid, the valve, burnt out wiring or it needs a new torque converter. Hoping it does not need a new converter.
Old 10-18-2013, 04:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zak77 View Post
Get clogged by running the different coolant? or just that there's a good chance it will be clogged already?

I've thought about just getting a new one anyway as preventative maintenance.

Took it over to a local shop today to have the codes read. I forget the exact code but its the TSS. Spoke with a trans shop and they said it could be just the solenoid, the valve, burnt out wiring or it needs a new torque converter. Hoping it does not need a new converter.
I believe he is saying that once you flush it, you will break up all the crud and it will thus move and clog up your oil cooler. Some people believe you might be able to avoid this if you put on a coolant filter before you flush. I'm sure others will chime in.

Nice looking Ford by the way!
Old 10-18-2013, 06:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Ah, makes sense now. I was reading the other night about the coolant filter kits, and you should change the filter after the first 500 miles, then at about 1000 miles then 5000 or so.

What's amazing about this Excursion is that the interior literally looks brand new. Seats do not have any cracking, spots, rips etc. The steering wheel is also in factory condition. Ford must have put some darn good leather and carpeting in this interior to have it still look this new after 145K miles and 10 years of driving.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:08 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
A supporting vender on this forum that is an EXPERT with everything 'Excursion' is Cary at CT Performance Inc. He'll be able make your Ex ride and handle MUCH better then it does now.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 10-19-2013, 07:51 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Nice eX !!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.