Time to Increase MPG - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Ford Excursion Discussion This forum is for topics relating to the excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2013, 11:56 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Time to Increase MPG

I'm thinking about making some minor changes to the Ex to see if I can squeeze out some extra MPG.
Bearing in mind that my excursion is a 2wd truck that is primarily used for hauling the family around and occasionally towing a travel trailer I'm thinking of a few things that could significantly help MPGs..

First thing I'm going to try is getting some sheet metal and making a nice and complete undercarriage tray that goes back over the trans a little, then a second one that picks up at an angle and lets out under the rear bumper cover.. I figure this should reduce drag a pretty fair amount.
The next thing is perhaps dropping the truck 2" or so.. This will still give me a decent amount of wheel well gap, but reduce overall ride height enough to show some increased fuel efficiency.

Other things I'm considering is covering up any holes in the bumper that serve no purpose and maybe putting in a 3rd battery to power the stereo and a few other electronic devices in the car so to not take power way from critical parts of the engine.

The only other thing I can think of is to find a way to make the mirrors a little less restrictive, but that would come at too great of a cost I'm afraid..

anyone have any other suggestions?

I'm starting down this road because I've been poking around at that ecomodder site and came across one dude who claimed 32MPG out of his 7.3L Ex..
If I can squeeze out 26MPG I'd be more than happy to pump my gas each month..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2013, 05:06 AM
Premium Member

Do you have a link to the 32 claim, wold like to read up on it, Also you could put on the non tow mirrors to gut down on drag. I have some if your interested.
Old 10-01-2013, 05:12 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
yeah, I'd like to read that claim too.

Keep in mind you are adding weight to reduce drag, that could also have an adverse affect.

Why not change the gear ratio and get an economy tune?
Old 10-01-2013, 05:18 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

32+ MPG Ford Excursion 4x4 Limited - Fuel Economy, Hypermiling, EcoModding News and Forum - EcoModder.com

I already have the non-tow mirrors..

I run an eco tune, and I tow an 8000lbs trailer from time to time.. I'm afraid to think of what a different gear ratio would do to my trans.. . Do you think it'd be ok?
I understand the weight vs Drag thing. However, I'm talking about 20lbs worth of sheet metal at most (probably closer to 12lbs).. This isn't enough weight to make a difference.. the other options are to make some kind of wheel well cover as well, like the old caddies.
Old 10-01-2013, 05:33 AM
Premium Member

Thanks for the link, I wont argue or read the whole thing. But I can tell you that computer calcs are mostly BS especially on highway trips when you fuel and reset.

Back on topic, depending on how serious you are I was thinking more like, batteries, low resistance tires, light weight wheels, removing bumpers for lighter weight parts, maybe even a row of seats.

Last edited by Heavy_GD; 10-01-2013 at 05:38 AM.
Old 10-01-2013, 05:46 AM
Premium Member

Thanks for the link, interesting read! Personally I would not mess with the gear ratio, espesially if your pulling a trailer.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:03 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy_GD View Post
Thanks for the link, I wont argue or read the whole thing. But I can tell you that computer calcs are mostly BS especially on highway trips when you fuel and reset.

Back on topic, depending on how serious you are I was thinking more like, batteries, low resistance tires, light weight wheels, removing bumpers for lighter weight parts, maybe even a row of seats.
He only posted a picture of the liometer, but all of his calcs were hand done, which had him surprised, because he was within 1% (I think) of the computer's output...
Old 10-01-2013, 06:54 AM
Premium Member

I'm on other forums and there a LOT of people who claim silly mileage... its nothing new. I'm not a hater by any means, just realistic.

But I am sub'd into your chase for the high twenties... goodluck.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:42 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy_GD View Post
I'm on other forums and there a LOT of people who claim silly mileage... its nothing new. I'm not a hater by any means, just realistic.

But I am sub'd into your chase for the high twenties... goodluck.
I'm already at about 22mpg hwy I'm guessing, but I do have an Excursion, which has less drag in the rear and 373's..

I need to swap out the AT tires for some nice LT radials and some lightweight rims would be nice if they existed..

Can't remove seats though, have 4 kids.. so they're all needed.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:55 AM
Premium Member

Put the kids on a diet! hahaha

Seriously though, I'm looking forward to your results.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.