Looking at buying a 2004 Excursion 6.0L - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Ford Excursion Discussion This forum is for topics relating to the excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2013, 03:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cool Looking at buying a 2004 Excursion 6.0L

I am looking at buying a 2004 Excursion 6.0L, it has 174,000 miles on it. The Carfax shows that the first 2 owners had the truck serviced every 3,000 - 5,000 miles for the first 116,000 miles, there are a few records of service after that by the 3rd owner, and I know that means very little. Looking under the hood I noticed that the engine looked very clean and that there were new boots on the turbo pipes. Looking deeper I noticed that the EGR cooler looks shiny new and that the valve covers look clean. I know that dealerships clean engines but getting the intake manifold area to look brand new would be quite the accomplishment, plus other areas under the hood are not quite so clean. This makes me think that even though there is no proof it appears that the EGR cooler has been replaced recently. It also has an K&N intake and Magnaflow exhaust. The biggest problem is that it has a very loud whine when under hard acceleration, it sort of sounds like it is from the filter area but I am not sure. So I have 2 questions. #1 what is the whining sound? #2 giving the description, would you by this truck. Thanks in advance guys...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2013, 01:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZOR303 View Post
I am looking at buying a 2004 Excursion 6.0L, it has 174,000 miles on it. The Carfax shows that the first 2 owners had the truck serviced every 3,000 - 5,000 miles for the first 116,000 miles, there are a few records of service after that by the 3rd owner, and I know that means very little. Looking under the hood I noticed that the engine looked very clean and that there were new boots on the turbo pipes. Looking deeper I noticed that the EGR cooler looks shiny new and that the valve covers look clean. I know that dealerships clean engines but getting the intake manifold area to look brand new would be quite the accomplishment, plus other areas under the hood are not quite so clean. This makes me think that even though there is no proof it appears that the EGR cooler has been replaced recently. It also has an K&N intake and Magnaflow exhaust. The biggest problem is that it has a very loud whine when under hard acceleration, it sort of sounds like it is from the filter area but I am not sure. So I have 2 questions. #1 what is the whining sound? #2 giving the description, would you by this truck. Thanks in advance guys...
I have a 2004 6.0 EX with K&N with a Diamond Eye Turbo Back exhaust. The best thing you can do for these things is open them up and let them breath. Because most of the issues come from the EGR clogging and overheating everything. Sounds like whomever had it understood that. I personally did an EGR delete and had the cab off procedure done that fixes all the mistakes Ford did and it's been seamless and very reliable. I think just doing an EGR delete on top of what you have now would be smart.

K&N filters do whine. Thats just the air rushing in. When you let off the gas too quickly it can suck air back in the other way and make a weird sound as well. Not to worry. All normal. Price to pay for more performance! And if there is a turbo back exhaust without the C converter then you'll also hear a hiss coming from the exhaust. (some say this sounds like a jet plane) As far as exhaust sound when you step on it. I personally like a little whoomph.

It sounds to me that it could have had an overheating problem and they did the heads and replaced the EGR cooler if they look new. Then they put the exhaust and hi intake air filter to help it breath more to not let it happen again? It's all a guess without records. I think you would be OK.

If you do get it I would go ahead and tune it with Matts Tune SRL. I did it to mine and its a whole 'nother level of fun! His tunes are the reason I'll never get rid of my Excursion. Powerstroke Diesel Tuning | Gearhead Automotive Performance
Old 09-20-2013, 02:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the info, funny thing though, yesterday I FINALLY had time to go back and try to do the deal, when I pulled up there was I guy getting into the truck, I talked to him and he had just bought it ... so back to the search... I might just get a pick-up instead of and Excursion, MUCH easier to find...
Old 09-20-2013, 02:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

If you can chase an EX down, well worth it. I had to follow mine through an auction locally to a dealership in a town over 2 hours away. then took work off to go see and buy it. Best car/truck Ive ever owned PERIOD. Amazing vehicle.
Old 09-20-2013, 06:38 PM
Premium Member

I know you mentioned that it has a whine but my issue sounded more like a whistle sound other than the turbo and it was from a head gasket leak. It was sucking in air during acceleration through the heads in turn over pressurizing then the degas cap is designed to release any excess pressure of 16 psi which was giving that whine or whistle sound during heavy acceleration. So personally I would take it to another mechanic to get it checked out just in case. I have the stock filter so I dont know much about the k&n filter. Sorry I don't want to scare you but I love my ex.
Old 09-21-2013, 05:49 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I searched for months before I got my X. Don't get discouraged because they are hard to find, unless you really want/need pickup instead. Don't get me wrong, there are times when I would love to have a pick-up bed, that is when I just hook up to my small utility trailer to get those tasks done. I absolutely love the X. You will find the right deal, just keep looking.
Old 11-05-2013, 12:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well, I found another EX, 2005, local truck, maintained by the ford dealer that has it for sale, it has 136,000 on it and looks pretty clean, going to look at it after work hopefully it is a good truck, cause I have a pretty descent sized travel trailer that wants to be pulled by a diesel. Darn thing 'bout killed my gasser last week...
Old 11-05-2013, 09:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Excursions are awesome vehicles but they are not perfect. If you are going to buy one keep in mind you will eventually need:

ARP head studs, head gaskets and an oil cooler with the rest of the smaller items that go with this. $3K+

New Moog front end parts and I mean all of them. Ball joints and all steering links. $1250

V and B code spring swap with Bilsteins $1300 if you do it yourself.

20" wheels and tires. $1200 + wheel spacers if needed.

You don't have to do any of this right away if your oil cooler is not plugged.

Why spend all this? Just drive one that has all this and maybe some of Eric's tunes and you will want one. I would ask the dealer to test the EOTvs ECT delta to see if you can tell if the oil cooler is clogged.
Old 11-07-2013, 02:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Doniphon View Post
Excursions are awesome vehicles but they are not perfect. If you are going to buy one keep in mind you will eventually need:

ARP head studs, head gaskets and an oil cooler with the rest of the smaller items that go with this. $3K+

New Moog front end parts and I mean all of them. Ball joints and all steering links. $1250

V and B code spring swap with Bilsteins $1300 if you do it yourself.

20" wheels and tires. $1200 + wheel spacers if needed.

You don't have to do any of this right away if your oil cooler is not plugged.

Why spend all this? Just drive one that has all this and maybe some of Eric's tunes and you will want one. I would ask the dealer to test the EOTvs ECT delta to see if you can tell if the oil cooler is clogged.
Thanks for the info.. I knew about the studs, oil cooler, egr cooler, figured eventually that all of the front end parts would need to be replaced, I have never heard of the V and B code springs tho. The 20" wheels will NEVER happen, I HATE the look of them, just my opinion.
Old 11-07-2013, 02:50 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZOR303 View Post
Thanks for the info.. I knew about the studs, oil cooler, egr cooler, figured eventually that all of the front end parts would need to be replaced, I have never heard of the V and B code springs tho. The 20" wheels will NEVER happen, I HATE the look of them, just my opinion.
You do not "Have to do" most of that list! I purchased my 6.0 Excursion with just under 100k. I now have 166k on it. I identified that my oil cooler was clogged shortly after I bought it. Changed out the cooler and did an egr delete while I was in there. See if you can get the deltas checked prior to purchase, this way you know what you have. The egr cooler/delete might depend on your state laws. I deleted it for peace of mind.

I tow a 32 foot travel trailer on a regular basis. I have logged 20,000 miles within the past couple years towing that trailer with no problems. I do not have the v/b spring mod. It is something I would like to do down the road, but it is not a MUST. 20" rims are by no means a MUST. I have the stock rims and put load range "E" tires on and it has been great.

Any 3/4 ton or 1 ton diesel truck is going to be rough on the front end, the excursion is not special in that regard. I did do all my ball joints @ 130k.

As far as the studs/HG's go, get a monitor and see what you have. As I said, I haul regularly with mine and it has stock HG's and the original bolts.

You need to do your research, don't just take any one persons information as fact. You need to know what the problems with the 6.0 are, and be prepared/educated to deal with them if they creep up on you.

If you have any other question, don't hesitate to ask.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.