Interior Mods (or anything you find awesome) - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Ford Excursion Discussion This forum is for topics relating to the excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2013, 09:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Talking Interior Mods (or anything you find awesome)

After a few months of searching, last week I finally found and purchased the Excursion for me. It's an 05, Black on Black limited with just 70k miles (second row buckets) 6.0 PSD. I am absolutely thrilled about this truck as it will be replacing my 07 Tacoma. I loved the Tacoma, but it only got 16-17mpg and could only seat two people comfortably.

So in comes a new era, this is my first diesel. I've bought a Sinister Coolant filter kit (to arrive next week), I changed the oil a few days ago (Motorcraft 2016 filter and Rotella T6 oil), I drained the HFCM (no water just crud), and I bought an EDGE insight and am seeing 7-9 delta at cruise 65mph with oil temp no higher than 198.

The coolant that's in it is Green, I'm not sure what color ELC is supposed to be but I'm planning on doing a Distilled water only flush to get that green crap out and make sure i'm running ELC coolant when I connect the filter. I'm also planning to replace both fuel filters and batteries this month (batteries drop to about 11v during start).

So there is a TON of information on upgrading and bulletproofing the 6.0 but I haven't found much info on what people have done to customize the interior of their Excursions. This Truck will be a family hauler for skiing, a Bird hunting rig for me and my dog (and friends), as well as my daily driver. I've been dreaming about what interior mods I can do and want to know what people have done.
What kind of Gun rack mods do people have?
What about lockable compartments for when the truck is parked at a trailhead?
Sound system mods, or Center console Subs?
A "fence" to keep the dog in the back behind the seats?
Taking out the carpet and putting Bed Liner on the floor to make it easily washable?
Has anyone built a custom Dash?

I am very excited for this truck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2013, 10:52 PM

Great find on your ex. Your deltas look good and your on the right track in changing all fluids and making sure you have ELC coolant. You may want to upgrade your mirrors to the 2008-12 style. Waaay more visibility. As far as interior mods you may want to add snaps to the velcro that holds the panels up on the back of the second row seats. The velcro sucks. Add headrests to the third row seats and I have seen people add gun lockers in the bottom of the console. Lots of threads on audio upgrades. Your only limited by your pocketbook. You're right, lots of great info to keep your ex on the road can be found here. and welcome to the forum
Old 09-07-2013, 10:53 PM

oh, the door seal mod is very popular as well
Old 09-08-2013, 08:34 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Door seal mod ?
Please expound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawika904 View Post
oh, the door seal mod is very popular as well
Old 09-08-2013, 09:12 AM

Door seal mod is for helping your door seals do better what they were supposed to do originally. Keep wind noise from entering the cabin. Also helps restore a bit of the "new car" door pop when you open the door. Very easy to do, approx 1 hr for all four doors. Here are links from this forum i found using the search feature. Also search other forums.

Excursion wind noise and drafts

Door seal/weatherstripping, where to buy? ----this one has a video

Did the door seal mod.

Door seal mod - TheDieselGarage.com

Good Luck
Old 09-08-2013, 09:21 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
If you want to very much improve your Excursion's ride and handling contact Cary at CT Performance Inc. he's a supporting vender and IMO no one knows Excursion's better then he does.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 09-08-2013, 10:01 AM

Term, You are right, Cary is the man for the Ex suspension upgrades. Thats my next mod. I bought from Cary for my brakes upgrade, was a great transaction. Was just replying to the op question about interior upgrades. Thats why I left off any mention of engine and exterior mods.
Old 09-08-2013, 01:45 PM
Premium Member

I've never, ever, heard of anyone that had the willpower to just mod ONE thing on their vehicle. LOL

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 09-09-2013, 05:10 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

FYI the Excursions used the older dash so a '05 Excursion does not have the '05 pickup dash and gauge cluster etc...keep in mind when looking at parts.

The Floors can be vinyl from ford, mainly the police / fire excursions, or you can get a custom vinyl floor from auto custom carpets. I have one waiting to go in on of my excursions. The A.C.C. floor is much thicker then the stock vinyl floor.

I recommend Husky Floor HD liners. You can get the front seat area, front trans hump, middle 3rd row, and cargo area liners. I have all of them in my 2005. Awesome, especially with kids. Summit Racing has them about the cheapest.

I like the F650 Lower Dash mod. It allows room for gauges and aux switches. The dash is different for manual or automatic trans F650s. I like the Manual version better. I doesn't stick out as far, and I may swap my 2005 to manual trans any way, and my 2000 excursion is already a Manual.
Riffraff Diesel Performance Parts: - RDP Custom F650 Dash Kit
The panel itself is really reasonable from ford. I think its about $20 when I ordered mine a few months ago.

If you don't do the F650 many guys do the Ford Upfitter switch set up...it looks nice but allows no gauges.

If you do switches I would add one that ties into the factory the high idle. the excursion do not have the factory high idle wiring easily accessible. You need to add a wire to a unwired pin in a Harness connection to get it. I plan on doing this mod to mine.

Recon makes lots of LED interior lights, and lit aluminum door sills etc..

Some people swap the '08 and up center consoles in... looks nice.. I want to add a 60/20/40 front bench seat to my excursion. Is hard to find a nice leather one, and I have never seen a 2 tone factory front 60/40 seat. So I may have to get one recovered to match the black and tan Eddie Bauer seats I have.

Thanks,
Deo
Old 09-09-2013, 06:24 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therabbittree View Post
I like the F650 Lower Dash mod. It allows room for gauges and aux switches. The dash is different for manual or automatic trans F650s. I like the Manual version better. I doesn't stick out as far, and I may swap my 2005 to manual trans any way, and my 2000 excursion is already a Manual.
Riffraff Diesel Performance Parts: - RDP Custom F650 Dash Kit
The panel itself is really reasonable from ford. I think its about $20 when I ordered mine a few months ago.
Do you happen to know the Ford part number?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
excursion 6.0, interior, mods

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.