Should I buy or not??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Ford Excursion Discussion This forum is for topics relating to the excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2013, 04:02 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Should I buy or not???

Currently I have a 2001 7.3 4x4 excursion.

I found a 2004 6.0 4x4 excursion 202,000 miles. It has had three owners. For the last 100,000 miles or so it has been maintained very well all fluids from oil, trans, diff, coolant, etc. Just recently it blew a head gasket. The owner did not want to pay for the repairs, so he sold it to the shop that had been maintaining it since he bought it. The shop put 8 new injectors in it less than a year ago. But most recent is head gasket, arp studs, egr delete, new ford oil cooler, sinister coolant filter, brand new oem ac system, 4" exhaust, afe stage 2 intake, sct with generic tunes. It's an Eddie Bauer with a small lift maybe 3-4" top. One of the rear barn doors has a puncture crack in it. Front bumper could stand to be repainted. Interior is looks really clean. Should I even consider this excursion? I can get it for $11,000. What do you guys think? The only person I know with a 6.0 is my brother-in-law. He said he would pass on it, but I was just wondering with all that work already done to it how many more miles should I be able to get out of it? Thanks for your help in advanced.

Thanks - Shaun
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2013, 08:37 AM

I love my '05 6.0. You would be way ahead of the game with all the 'bullet proofing' mods complete. If it runs well now and the overall condition is at least 'good,' I think you should consider it. I paid $16k for my '05 with 118k miles on it last year. Then put another $2k into it to complete my version of 'bullet proofing.' 11k could be a deal...
Old 08-22-2013, 01:55 PM

I talked to the guy again today. I assumed that it had ARP head studs, but they are the H11 head studs. I'm not sure if that really matters or not? Also, the motor is a late model 03'. The shop owner said that there is an early 03', late 03', and then the 04'? Is this information correct? The tires need to be replaced. I haven't seen the excursion because the guy is three hours away. I'm trying to decide if I should take the trip.
Old 08-22-2013, 02:01 PM

Late '05 Excursions did get the '05 6.0 engine. You can identify the year of the engine by a sticker on top of the passenger side valve cover (if it's still there). No ARP head studs, needs new tires, getting less attractive...
What head gaskets did they use? OEM is supposedly best choice.
Old 08-22-2013, 03:27 PM

I read that the H11 head studs are actually the best ones. Oem gaskets. Oem parts on everything except of course the egr delete and sinister coolant filter assembly and filter.
Old 08-22-2013, 04:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

This is of course just my personal opinion. Skip it. I have an early build 04 F250. I blew the head gasket once, but that has been the least of my problems. I currently have 127K on the truck and am really considering trading it in. The main reason is that I am just not confident in the truck anymore (even though I love it). The dealer offered me 13K for it. Getting to 200K miles with minimal maintenance costs seems like a dream right now.
It might have already had a lot of engine work done to it, but there is more to the truck than an engine. I didn't see anything about the tranny, trans case, hubs, bearing, a/c system, etc. They all have 200K as well.

And since you don't already own it, why not look for an 05 or 06 for a few bucks more. Even better, an 07
Old 08-22-2013, 04:46 PM

I definitely want another excursion. That's what the wife wants. She said she would rather an excursion over an escalade or denali. So I'm looking for another excursion. I'm debating whether or not to keep my 01' excursion too. She misses the steering wheel controls, digital ac controls, DVD player and she likes the two-tone interior. So, I found this and wanted to get some opinions on it. It has just recently had the whole ac system replaced with all ford oem parts. Differentials and transmission have all been serviced regularly, but are original. Now another question. Do I try to find a 05' untouched stock excursion or an 05' that has already been studded? I appreciate y'all's help in making a decision.

Thanks - Shaun
Old 08-22-2013, 06:03 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
The truck sounds like it is in decent shape. But the point earlier that is very valid was that the rest of the drive train has 200K+ on it also. If you have the money for any potential repairs (transmission, t-case, differential replacements) I would consider it. I paid $18K for an '03 that had 88.5K miles on it and I knew the front end needed redone (ball joints, tie rods, etc) and the interior wasn't perfect. Depends on what deals are in your area. But at $11K it may be worth the risk of future repair. If they are hard to find where you are at, I would probably get it. I would just make sure I had atleast $3k laying around for any major repair that popped up. Just my $.02
Old 08-22-2013, 06:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I would get the one that had already been done, no question. But I thought you were looking at an 04 model

Also, were did you find a woman that liked driving a truck that big? My wife is not allowed to drive my truck. I put that rule in place for the safety of everyone else on the road.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:03 PM

You gotta love the Texas women! Ya, this one is an 04'. It just seemed like the price was pretty good for what had been done to it. But, when I found out it has an 03' motor in it I became a little more nervous. I currently have an 01' 7.3 with 120,000 miles. But the interior didn't get updated till 02'. She wants the newer interior and with all the bells and whistles. I have really been looking for an 05' but I ran across this one and wanted to see what you guys with 6.0 experience thought.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.