hub bearing. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Ford Excursion Discussion This forum is for topics relating to the excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2013, 11:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
hub bearing.

Hi,
I have a 2005 Ex.4x4. I'm pretty sure my front hub bearings are shot. I've looked, and it seems like I have to replace the entire hub assembly. Is this correct? Autozone sells front hub bearings,part number D15101. Are these not what I'm looking for? Or am I buying hubs? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2013, 06:10 AM
Premium Member

Yes, it is a bearing assembly. You really need to scourn the interweb for the best price on Timkin bearings, I tried TWO from Circle K auto parts and they both had excessive bearing ID. In fact, I trashed one in less than 6 months. I ended up getting one at NAPA because I needed my truck NOW. If I would have been able to wait, I found similar priced, but Timkin.

Rock Auto has several to chose from, remember two very improtant things:
1. You get what you paid for.
2. 14x1.5 is fine thread, 14x2.0 is coarse thread. Unlike SAE that counts threads per inch, metric measures space between threads. Anyway, fine or coarse WILL matter.
Old 08-17-2013, 06:28 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
You need the whole hub assembly. The bearings are pressed/torqued in. Don't buy the cheap autozone or off brand bearings. Stay with Timken or SKF. Typically, not always, off brand stuff you will be replacing again within a couple years depending on amount of miles you drive. RockAuto or PartsGeek will have much better prices than local parts stores. Possibly half the price for same Timken units.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 08-17-2013, 07:17 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Please, do not buy cheap wheel hubs. I did cause money was tight, a year later after being towed home, I was replacing both of them again.

Cheap wheel hubs+ tow bill+ quality hubs= more than doing it right the first time...

Search around online, you can find good prices for good timkens.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 08-17-2013, 09:45 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Here are some part numbers for you. Not all of them are required, but you may be interested in changing some other things while you have it torn down. I found Amazon had the best prices when I did this last summer.

Timken Unit Bearings (14.x1.5mm) : SP580205 SP580205 Seal: BRS84 (Not sure which one this is, haven 't researched it yet)
Front Axle Oil Seal: 3C3Z3254CA
Seal Asy-Trans Diff: 2C3Z3254AA
Front Axle U-Joint: PUJ1 (This was the number he listed, he said he sourced from Napa, didn't come up with anything on a search.)
Front Differential Oil: Amsoil Severe Gear 75w90
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.