New owner - 03 Excursion - 81k miles - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Ford Excursion Discussion This forum is for topics relating to the excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2013, 09:13 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New owner - 03 Excursion - 81k miles

Just wanted to drop in and say hi.. I'm the new owner (haven't even got it yet) of a 2003 Ex 6.0 EB edition.. New to diesel, but have been working on turbo cars since 2001.. Pretty capable when it comes to turning a wrench, rebuild my 3000gt VR4 from bottom up, so I'm looking forward to learning something new.

Anywhere in particular I should go to start learning about diesel mechanics (free, not school).??

This will be my wife's car for the most part, as i only go 3 miles to work and we'd pretty much kill this truck with that short of a commute..
It's replacing the Toyota Sienna minivan in the hopes of having enough space for our family, good tow capacity and I'm actually hoping for better fuel economy (sienna gets 15 city 22 highway at best)..

Do you think an aftermarket warranty is worth having with so few miles? I was considering doing the head stud swap, especially since it's an 03 and eventually I'll do the EGR delete..
Fuel injectors should be good for another 20-30k miles, right?

Just trying to make sure I attack all the problem areas immediately rather than have to do it after something goes wrong.

Thanks a lot for any responses. I look forward to a long LONG LONG and enjoyable ownership of this truck..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2013, 03:28 PM

Welcome to the forums Mighty. You will love the new Ex. To answer your questions, you will learn everything you need to know about the 6.0 and your ex here. plenty of good advice and experts here who have already had every problem found on the 6.0. I went with the warranty, glad I did. Bought my 05 6.0 Ex used with 39K on it. within a year it needed an oil cooler. Ford changed it out along with the EGR cooler. But if you plan to do studs and EGR yourself proactively, i'd say no extended warranty and dig in. I also had leaky rear axle seals, slide window that went OOS and ball joints replaced under warranty. $100 deductable was all. Injectors should last a long time. Just keep up with regular filter maintenance, fuel and oil. Lots of info on every subject here. read it all. Again, welcome.
Old 08-09-2013, 03:46 PM

Old 08-09-2013, 07:23 PM

u should go to the regular 6.0 forums theres a lot of info there. 1st thing u need to do is get a plug in moniter to see ur deltas. the oil coolers clog on these motors. oil and coolant temps should be around 4-12* of each other on a hot day. 2nd u should get a coolant bypass filter to filter the coolant. the ford gold is known to break down and clog the oil cooler as well. also get some rev-x oil additive for the cold winter starts, ur injectors will thank you. oh and also...
Old 08-10-2013, 05:17 AM

Thanks for the advice.. Pictures will be posted after I take delivery.. I do feel bad that my first big diesel truck is actually going to be my wife's.. but as I said. a 3 mile commute will really shorten the life of this truck..

Since we have an FJ Cruiser and I'm slapping a 3rd row in it, I wasn't too concerned with 4WD on this truck...

Next on the chopping block is a travel trailer.. Found a nice North Country 30USBH at a great price..

Should I open up the exhaust on this thing to help with Fuel economy or is that really not necessary?
Old 08-10-2013, 05:52 AM

Welcome to the site. As stated above,and just as you will find throughout the site the very first thing to do is to get a monitor. Something simple as a scanguage to the Edge CTS or even some of the fancier kinds. But without a monitor you have no idea how the trucks health is. Think about that, the truck right now could actully be running just fine but what you dont know,(without a montior) is that your cooler is clogged and you just sent the wife off to the store with 35* deltas! Leaving your wife on the side of the road at 1030 at nite with your bucket of Ben and Jerry's melting in the back.
Or if you get a monitor, you can see what kind of trouble your in and schedule any maintenance on your own terms. Or possibly send the wife at 0330 for that ice cream to the bad side of town.......
john galt likes this.
Old 08-10-2013, 06:15 AM
PROUD AMERICAN!!!

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
to the ORG
Old 08-10-2013, 10:59 AM

Will this work? I like the idea of using devices I already own.
Quadzilla Vizion Wireless Monitor 06 12 GM 6 6L Duramax Android Based | eBay
Old 08-10-2013, 11:16 AM

Oh, another question. Do I have to get the computer system or would temp probes and physical gauges work? Just curious.
Old 08-10-2013, 01:38 PM

Well the Edge and the scanguage set up just plugs into the OBDII port that is just under the dash. Its like a 5 minute install at most. The truck has all the sensors biult in but the fine folks at FORD just never figured the general public would need/want to know the info. And heck if the trucks would of come with a decent guage set up I think some of the 6.0 issues would of never got so blown outta perportion.
As far as the Quadzilla the only person Ive known to have one has said to me that he wish's he had gone with the EDGE cts. Not 100% sure as to why though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.