New to diesel, and Excursion - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Ford Excursion Discussion This forum is for topics relating to the excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2013, 10:02 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New to diesel, and Excursion

Last week I picked up a 2004 Eddie Bauer Excursion. So far lovin' it ! Yesterday my DashBoss came in the mail, so I had to play with it a little after work. This morning on the way into work I watched to EOT and the ECT. EOT was about 193* while ECT was about 187*, FIMC never dropped below 47.5v. I forgot to get the app open in time to see if any major drop in voltage from the FIMC occured durning the startup, but the truck starts up like a champ.

So far i have only one little hiccup with the truck. I'll get a short loss of power (like a miss or a surge), and black smoke with the sound of rubber on rubber rubbing. I'm not sure how to better explain this. This typlically happens around 2000 RPM range. I did a quick clean on the EGR valve, that did not seam to help. I noticed last night that the water separator light stayed on a little longer than it has before. i will check the water separator Monday when I have some time.

Any other thoughts as to what to look for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2013, 03:53 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Might have torn or ripped intercooler boot. Might only leak at certain boost level etc.. lose of boost would give black smoke and make a loud whistle or pop noise, the boots may be torn or cracked inside the radius and hard to see.
Let us know what you find.
Thanks,
Deo
Old 07-28-2013, 03:38 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It is not a whistle, it is a lot lower in pitch. I'll double check all the boots and other things on Monday. From what i can tell the noise comes from the drivers side low. I don't see any changes on my DashBoss, but when I get on the fuel pedal the condition goes away.
Old 07-28-2013, 05:50 AM

? don't know maybe check the uppipes too, maybe cracked intercooler end cap or nicked tubes?...clogged air filter? let us know what you find
Old 08-01-2013, 01:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

And if not already done, I would as quick as possible delete the EGR and go with a remote oil cooler.
Preparing to install a remote oil cooler own my own EX after two oil cooler fails
Old 08-01-2013, 03:02 PM

Old 08-04-2013, 03:16 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

So I have done a full filter change; air, both fuel, and the oil. This has seemed to lower the amount to which I have this issue occur, it is now less often. Hopefully this week I have time to take off all the rubber connection on the air connectors to make sure they are all in good condition, ran out of time last week. I have noticed on my DashBoss that the MAF sensor jumps all over the place when this condition happens. Not sure if this is part of the problem, or just an effect of the problem.

I have noticed that I am getting a small amount of black smoke constantly coming out of the exhaust now. Also the overhead computer is displaying about a mile per gallon less on average. Would this be caused by an air leak somewhere in the system?
Old 08-04-2013, 03:23 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KountyWide View Post
And if not already done, I would as quick as possible delete the EGR and go with a remote oil cooler.
Preparing to install a remote oil cooler own my own EX after two oil cooler fails
I'm not really sure if I want to do an EGR delete on the truck. Short of one thing less to go wrong, Iím not seeing a reason to do this. I plan on adding a coolant filter for sure.

With the truck having 200K mile already on it Iím thinking that I will throw the dice and see what happens. If I need to replace the EGR then I will probably do a delete.
Old 08-04-2013, 05:29 AM

Reason for deleting egr , and CCV (crank case vent) is to not have a 1/4" of tar like crud lining your intake, intake ports in head and back of your valves. Also the EGR can rise the coolant temp and lead to blown head gaskets ...
The engine will tank you with longer service life.
Keep us updated on you issues, and what fixed them.
Thanks,
Deo
Old 08-27-2013, 03:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Here is an update to the issue of the surging/black smoke.

After running thru, what I'm thinking is about 3 full tanks of fuel, the issue has pretty much gone away. I have made sure to put fuel in from a few different places. I still get a little chugging when the tank get down to about 1/4 tank or less.

I'm thinking that most of the issue is from the PO did not run it hard (after warm up) like these engines like and need.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.