4x4 not working - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Please Visit our Site Sponsors
6.0L Ford Excursion Discussion This forum is for topics relating to the excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2013, 04:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
4x4 not working

Dash light comes on if on street it feels like it but in dirt front tires dont spin. Had it at dealership and they changed a vacuum cylinoid and said hubs werent anygood snd not covered because they were warn hubs. But i dont hear anything locking out from transfer case.... Im lost
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2013, 04:53 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

It could be bad vacume lines not letting the hubs to lock in. Can you manually lock your hubs? Mine wont lock in bc of bad vacume lines but 4x4 works if I manually lock them in. Does you air stay on defrost?
Old 06-20-2013, 03:08 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

If you have warn hubs, you should be able to run them locked. heck on the work truck we delete the vacuum auto setup ,and plug the lines, just use the stock hubs manually as lock or free etc...
Thanks,
Deo
Old 02-19-2015, 04:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05f250harley View Post
It could be bad vacume lines not letting the hubs to lock in. Can you manually lock your hubs? Mine wont lock in bc of bad vacume lines but 4x4 works if I manually lock them in. Does you air stay on defrost?
Ok, I have a 2004 excursion. I thought that maybe the 4X4 wasn't working but didn't get to test it until this snow we recently got here. I was trying to get it to engage, but nothing seemed to happen. The hubs are a bit sticky, and i wasn't able to turn it to manual lock, but was going to play with that tomorrow.
I did notice that when i tried to put it into 4x4 i noticed the defrost turned on and thought that was weird. What is up with that?
Does anybody have any suggestions?
Old 02-20-2015, 09:15 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepSpringFarm View Post
Ok, I have a 2004 excursion. I thought that maybe the 4X4 wasn't working but didn't get to test it until this snow we recently got here. I was trying to get it to engage, but nothing seemed to happen. The hubs are a bit sticky, and i wasn't able to turn it to manual lock, but was going to play with that tomorrow.
I did notice that when i tried to put it into 4x4 i noticed the defrost turned on and thought that was weird. What is up with that?
Does anybody have any suggestions?
When the defrost turns on after switching to 4x4 it's usually a sign of a vacuum leak...the 4x4 vacuum solenoid on the passenger side fender near the battery will usually be the cause of the problem...but check the easy stuff first, the vacuum lines between the frame rail and hubs can get rubbed through causing a vacuum leak. You can buy a new 4x4 solenoid at the dealer for around $80. Good luck.
Old 02-21-2015, 08:29 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks,
After the snow melts i'll look into this.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therabbittree View Post
If you have warn hubs, you should be able to run them locked. heck on the work truck we delete the vacuum auto setup ,and plug the lines, just use the stock hubs manually as lock or free etc...
Thanks,
Deo

What he said. Delete that crap and go old school.
Old 02-25-2015, 11:42 AM
Mod Newbie

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbus View Post
Dash light comes on if on street it feels like it but in dirt front tires dont spin. Had it at dealership and they changed a vacuum cylinoid and said hubs werent anygood snd not covered because they were warn hubs. But i dont hear anything locking out from transfer case.... Im lost
If you're not hearing the t-case lock in then the hubs have nothing to do with it. I would check the electrical connection at the transfer case. I've seen that plug come loose and even get broken from road debris.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.