ERG cooler info - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Ford Excursion Discussion This forum is for topics relating to the excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2008, 05:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ERG cooler info

I’m new to this site and to forums so please excuse any mistakes. I have a ’04 Excursion 6.0PSD (my first diesel) I am making a few mods such as a diesel power package consisting of an MBRP 4" 409SS Turbo Back, an Custom Programmed SCT X3 and a BD outlook monitor. (Left the intake stock) Later date I’d like to hook up and run LP as I tow a 30’ travel trailer. I read somewhere that a simple block-off plate that fits inside the exhaust up-pipe eliminates the heat-flashing of the coolant by stopping exhaust flow from entering the EGR cooler. 1.) What exactly is “heat-flashing” 2.) What are the advantages and disadvantages of blocking/disabling the exhaust flow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2008, 05:41 PM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Heat flashing is when your exhaust causes the coolant in your EGR cooler to boil and pukes out your degas (coolant reservoir) bottle. It's fairly common on tuned 6.0L's. The block off plate should eliminate 90% of the problems with the EGR cooler and since you don't have the scoop in your up-pipe, you only need a block off plate or a freeze plug.

Advantages-no coolant puking; won't have to worry about blowing up your EGR cooler and won't have to worry about leaking coolant into your heads possibly hydro locking your engine

Disadvantages - None that I can think of, cost and/or labor to install it maybe.
Old 02-19-2008, 07:27 PM
Banned

i totally agree with Shawn...except for one point...

the disadvantages are this. If you dont have an SCT that has custom tunes....the engine will be looking for EGR flow when there is none and it will set a check engine light.......probably a P0401......other than that....i totally agree with shawn...
Old 02-20-2008, 04:48 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Good point, Marc. I forgot about turning the EGR off with the SCT.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:31 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

One thing to add. Repeated heat flashing can cause the silver solder in the EGR cooler to rupture causing catastrophic failure of the EGR cooler (coolant entering the "air" side) which will then send coolant into your EGR valve and on into the intake manifold and on out to poach your VGT. Signs of this include the loss of power, temp guage shooting to the moon, and it will look like someone is pulling a white linen sheet out of your exhaust tip.

Cure the problem while its just puking a little and it'll save you much heartache (and money).

Amp
Old 02-20-2008, 07:23 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20046.0PSDX View Post
Signs of this include the loss of power, temp guage shooting to the moon, and it will look like someone is pulling a white linen sheet out of your exhaust tip.

Cure the problem while its just puking a little and it'll save you much heartache (and money).

Amp
I think I remember seeing this happen once to an Excursion! Do you still have your EGR cooler in place or did it go bye-bye?
Old 02-20-2008, 07:50 AM

Quote:
I think I remember seeing this happen once to an Excursion! Do you still have your EGR cooler in place or did it go bye-bye?
Actually, what you witnessed at SSS was a Hypermax wire-ring gasket failure on cylinder #5. Pushed it through the water jacket! That was what had us perplexed. The EGR wasn't connected at the up-pipe anymore and we thought that maybe the high boost in combination w/ me tuning it back to stock a couple of times had caused the EGR to stick open allowing heat/boost to get in from that side??? Couldn't figure it out until tear-down. Just didn't think the wire-ring would fail...oh well, needless to say I won't be going back w/ those.

The EGR totally popped about 20 miles from Myrtle Beach (on the way, fully loaded for a week of vacation) in July/August of 2006. I was running a SuperChips 1704 tuner at the time and naturally forgot to bring it w/ me...my first experience of NO warranty!

Amp

Last edited by 20046.0PSDX; 02-20-2008 at 07:00 PM.
Old 03-07-2009, 10:42 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I see that I am reviving an old thread here - but there is a new option out there besides just "capping off" your egr cooler.

In my repair shop, we had numerous clients that came in with leaking 6.0L egr coolers. We found that doing all the repair work that Ford recommended seemed to make them last a bit longer than before, but still didn't make the truck as reliable as it should have. We checked into the problem and found an "EGR COOLER UPGRADE KIT". You can google it and find it yourself, as well.

Seems that the manufacturers of this awesome new cooler remove the silver-soldered interior and replace it with a well constructed stainless steel interior. It prohibits the solder from melting (its now welded) and the design does not allow for flashing boiling of the coolant. If you want to learn more about this you can here: Leidenfrost effect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

We have purchased a number of these coolers and our customers (and their 6.0's) LOVE them. We give all our customers the option of choosing between replacing their old EGR with the old, Ford style or the new upgrade and they ALWAYS choose the upgrade. They are working well and lasting the way the EGR cooler is supposed to.

Another advantage: it maintains the vehicle the way its supposed to be. You don't have to have an SCT tuner to work around them - just put it in. The best part? If you do have an SCT tuner, it works with that as well! Its the best of both worlds!

Another advantage: does not void state and federal emissions laws.

Just google "egr cooler upgrade kit" and you will find what I found.
Enjoy!

Gene

Last edited by Stroker3969; 03-07-2009 at 10:45 AM.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:31 AM

Sorry I am reviving it again but have a question and there seems to be some knowledgable people involved in this thread. As far as deleting the EGR cooler, I have seen block off plates and delete kits with what looks like a new pipe and other parts for around $400. What are the differences and does deleting it do anything for performance? Thanks guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.