6.0l Excursion SEIC mod - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Ford Excursion Discussion This forum is for topics relating to the excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2008, 04:38 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0l Excursion SEIC mod

After looking around for a long while, and not really finding a really good post on this mod, I got around to giving it a try..This is the high idle mod..

With a wiring diagram manual for my 04 X(and SD trucks) I had the confidence to go forward with this..My truck is an 04 with 03 engine..I don't know if this works on 05's..If you fry something don't come crying to me..

The manual showed the pin position on the PCM for the +12vt signal input..Just as i've read in the past, there was no wire in the harness or PCM connector for the input..I had to make one myself...

I pulled the driver's battery connections and cover..The SEIC input is in the rearmost PCM connector..The back of the connector will pry off easily with a slotted screwdriver after it's pulled from the PCM..Work it at each corner..

I decided to use a small red spade connector to make the wire to PCM connection..

I cut off the red insulation and gently crushed the round wire recepticle to make it a little oval shaped...The pin you are connecting to is rectangular..Then I trimmed the spade portion of the connector to match the width of the recepticle end...After that i soldered a small 20GA pigtail onto what was left of the spade of the connector...It isn't pretty, but it fits into the PCM connector and mates nicely with the pin in the PCM..

Now I had to get my makeshift pigtail into the connector...I used a small drill bit to go all the way through the connector and fish the pigtail out the back..Be carefull not to hit the other wires when drilling through..

Here's a good pic of the back of the harness for the pin location..The new wire is the blue one..

After I got it all in there I plugged back into the PCM and gave it a test by starting the truck..The first key cycle, no starter..Tried a second time and it started right up...I guess it was because of disconnecting the batteries..I tested by touching the pigtail to the + side of the battery...Engine rolled right up to 1200 rpm's just as I hoped..

Since it was working, I put a little glue in the hole I drilled into the connector for the wire..

I still have to wire in a switch on the dash to finish up..That's the easy part..I'm just glad it worked without the PCM going POOF!!

on edit: switch is in.. all is well!!

Last edited by william_04_x; 02-18-2008 at 01:23 PM. Reason: added text
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2008, 12:47 AM
Premium Member

I've notice posters talking about a high idle mod on several posts, since I'm a new psd owner I gotta ask why do this mod?
Old 02-23-2008, 03:14 AM
lifetime member

i think the egr gets sooted up on the 6.0 if it idles at stock idle for too long
Old 02-23-2008, 04:31 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
It also helps for when its just not cold enough to warrant using a block heater and need to warm up the engine.
Old 02-23-2008, 08:36 AM
Premium Member

mmmmm I live in Hawaii so I don't really need to worry about a block heater, although we do have snow up on Mauna Kea right now.
Old 02-23-2008, 08:43 AM
Banned

In that case it also helps keep the a/c cool in hot weather. It's an easy mod to do and cost little to nothing also.
Old 02-23-2008, 09:22 AM

The switches look awesome William.

Very nice job.
Old 02-23-2008, 05:01 PM

thanks Bama...here's my current install project into the X...

i set them in last night just to get them orientated..i'll have them wired up by the weekend...
Old 02-23-2008, 10:54 PM
Premium Member

William, where did you get the gauges and the pods from? and what did they set your wallet back?

Last edited by Da Big One; 02-23-2008 at 10:55 PM. Reason: text
Old 02-24-2008, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Big One View Post
William, where did you get the gauges and the pods from? and what did they set your wallet back?
they are DiPricol Optix guages...boost, pyro, electric fuel pressure and full sweep trans...all LED lighting, with dimmer and painted A pillar for less than $600...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.