Ok Some back ground info, my '05 Excursion recently sucked all the coolant out at a stop light back in January. It was billowing white smoke from exhaust. I pulled over immediately and only ran it, to load and unload from my car trailer. Coolant bottle was sucked dry. I have full gauges, and scan gauge II. I had been seeing deltas of about 15-22 degrees, and had been compliling a list of things to do if it blew. 1 week before the the gaskets letting loose the Cabin Heat would not blow hot, I thought that was strange, I wasn't sure if it was an electronic hvac issue or blend door, there was no blend door flap noise either. Now I beleive that is when the gaskets started to go or egr cooler etc.....I assume my oil cooler is plugged and egr raised coolant temp / pressure causing the headgaskets to blow sending coolant into exhaust. I have no oil contamination.
I have new a egr delete kit, coolant filter, ARP studs, restore and restore plus sitting here. I have been saving to do the head gaskets and a bullet proof oil cooler. I have an extra intake manifold too, I want to cut it open and port it weld up egr and coolant port too. If I do the intake I can sell the EGR delete. I had contemplated doing a Common Rail Cummins Swap, but I don't have $ for trans swap and doing feel comfortable with the 5r110 and the Cummins. I would want to do a Standard trans, and its a big project. I already have a big project going - 2001 Excursion with 12v and G56 six speed trans. So figure if I leave the 6.0L in there it will be different.
Tenative Build Ideas:
- BBD Oil Cooler with Cold weather kit.
- Warren 175/30 or 175/stock injectors.
- ARP Head Studs.
- Ford Head Gasket kits
- SCT Tuner debating on who's tunes to use?
- Fuel bowl delete with home made regulated return.
- Aeromotive A1000 into two fleeet guard filter bases with Filter and Water separator , ball valves on both sides of bases etc.
- Harpoon mod , either big drawstraw or sump upgrade. I'm leaning toward drawstraw, as the excursion tank is low exposed and had a big steel guard. I would have to cut open the skid guard and run the fuel line up and over the rear axle any how.. kind of defeating the sump.
- Looking to do 58v FICM looking at different ones ..? leaning on BBP
- Check the HPOP - maybe upgrade.
- 4" downpipe back stainleess with cat delete - leaning toward mrbp may weld in vbands instead of crimp clamps
- may do intake .. looking to keep a dry element filter though.
- would like to upgrade to a metal intercooler pipe on drives side suggestions?
- new intercooler boots - suggestions?
I previously had some several upgrades to the truck: Autometer gauges EGT, Boost, Trans Temp, Fuel Pressure, HPOP pressure, Scan Gauge II, CCV Mod. I had a new rear drive shaft built last year with all greasable joints and slip sleeves. The Double Carden joint had failed, and slip joint had play. This was causeing slight vibration. I added greaseable joints, and a grease fitting for the slip to front shaft at same time. In future looking to do Cary B V or X codes in front and modded B's in back with Bilsteins. Looking to bump to 285/16's tires. Oh and Truck has just over 200k on it. We are 2nd owners.
Photobucket Album for the 2005 Excursion
Photobucket for my other project 2000 Excursion with 12v Cummins and G56
I post up some pictures soon.