'05 Excursion Cab On Driveway Build - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Ford Excursion Discussion This forum is for topics relating to the excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2013, 08:23 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
'05 Excursion Cab On Driveway Build

Ok Some back ground info, my '05 Excursion recently sucked all the coolant out at a stop light back in January. It was billowing white smoke from exhaust. I pulled over immediately and only ran it, to load and unload from my car trailer. Coolant bottle was sucked dry. I have full gauges, and scan gauge II. I had been seeing deltas of about 15-22 degrees, and had been compliling a list of things to do if it blew. 1 week before the the gaskets letting loose the Cabin Heat would not blow hot, I thought that was strange, I wasn't sure if it was an electronic hvac issue or blend door, there was no blend door flap noise either. Now I beleive that is when the gaskets started to go or egr cooler etc.....I assume my oil cooler is plugged and egr raised coolant temp / pressure causing the headgaskets to blow sending coolant into exhaust. I have no oil contamination.
I have new a egr delete kit, coolant filter, ARP studs, restore and restore plus sitting here. I have been saving to do the head gaskets and a bullet proof oil cooler. I have an extra intake manifold too, I want to cut it open and port it weld up egr and coolant port too. If I do the intake I can sell the EGR delete. I had contemplated doing a Common Rail Cummins Swap, but I don't have $ for trans swap and doing feel comfortable with the 5r110 and the Cummins. I would want to do a Standard trans, and its a big project. I already have a big project going - 2001 Excursion with 12v and G56 six speed trans. So figure if I leave the 6.0L in there it will be different.
Tenative Build Ideas:

- BBD Oil Cooler with Cold weather kit.
- Warren 175/30 or 175/stock injectors.
- ARP Head Studs.
- Ford Head Gasket kits
- SCT Tuner debating on who's tunes to use?
- Fuel bowl delete with home made regulated return.
- Aeromotive A1000 into two fleeet guard filter bases with Filter and Water separator , ball valves on both sides of bases etc.
- Harpoon mod , either big drawstraw or sump upgrade. I'm leaning toward drawstraw, as the excursion tank is low exposed and had a big steel guard. I would have to cut open the skid guard and run the fuel line up and over the rear axle any how.. kind of defeating the sump.
- Looking to do 58v FICM looking at different ones ..? leaning on BBP
- Check the HPOP - maybe upgrade.
- 4" downpipe back stainleess with cat delete - leaning toward mrbp may weld in vbands instead of crimp clamps
- may do intake .. looking to keep a dry element filter though.
- would like to upgrade to a metal intercooler pipe on drives side suggestions?
- new intercooler boots - suggestions?

I previously had some several upgrades to the truck: Autometer gauges EGT, Boost, Trans Temp, Fuel Pressure, HPOP pressure, Scan Gauge II, CCV Mod. I had a new rear drive shaft built last year with all greasable joints and slip sleeves. The Double Carden joint had failed, and slip joint had play. This was causeing slight vibration. I added greaseable joints, and a grease fitting for the slip to front shaft at same time. In future looking to do Cary B V or X codes in front and modded B's in back with Bilsteins. Looking to bump to 285/16's tires. Oh and Truck has just over 200k on it. We are 2nd owners.

Photobucket Album for the 2005 Excursion
http://s2.photobucket.com/user/thera...rd%20excursion

Photobucket for my other project 2000 Excursion with 12v Cummins and G56
http://s2.photobucket.com/user/thera...rary/Excursion
http://s2.photobucket.com/user/thera.../excursion%202

I post up some pictures soon.
Thanks,
Deo

Last edited by Therabbittree; 04-23-2013 at 10:46 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2013, 09:21 AM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therabbittree View Post
1 week before the the gaskets letting loose the Cabin Heat would not blow hot, I thought that was strange, I wasn't sure if it was an electronic hvac issue or blend door, there was no blend door flap noise either. Now I beleive that is when the gaskets started to go or egr cooler etc.....I assume my oil cooler is plugged and egr raised coolant temp / pressure causing the headgaskets to blow sending coolant into exhaust.
This is interesting to me as I have a similar problem that started almost two months ago. I have never noticed any blend door noise in my vehicle. But my heater no longer gets hot. My wife normally drives the vehicle and she had described it happening "overnight". As in one day it worked and the next it didn't. RIght now it gets luke warm at best. I figured that the blend door must have gotten partially stuck open allowing fresh air all the time. My deltas have stayed at around 13*-15* around town since I have owned the rig. I was hoping to do a BPD swap this summer, but I might just do a flush and River City Diesel delete with another factory cooler for now due to other financial obligations. Let me know if you have any other insight into the heater issue. Plugged heater core, blend door malfunction etc. Good luck with the project.

Cheers,

Brew
Old 04-23-2013, 09:28 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Well you are sure talking to the right guy, especially when it comes to our Excursions, with Cary.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 04-23-2013, 10:31 AM

Starting out:

Pulled bumper, head lights, headlight support broke the 2 lower core support bolts .. argh rusted in solid.. gotta love ny.

found the radiator packed with debris.. original owner was vet ..imagine the dust and fluff on the dirt roads packed in the raditor .. if I did a cab off I wouldn't have found this....

Last edited by Therabbittree; 04-23-2013 at 10:38 AM.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:36 AM

Dug deeper, removed metal core support, de gas botle , the intercooler pipe on drivers side, air filter etc.. you can see the CCV Mod, debating on trying to flush the coolant system now ... but not sure if that will work well as I can't run the truck for long...argh, and I'm planning on running the BPD air cooled oil cooler any how.

Last edited by Therabbittree; 04-23-2013 at 10:55 AM.
Old 04-29-2013, 03:06 PM

How do you remove the Transmission cooler lines from the radiator or the trans filter? I looked in the manual and it shows a special disconnect tool... is there a way to do it without the tool? . I hate these connections..lol. need some tips.
Thanks,
Deo
Old 04-29-2013, 03:44 PM

Well I did some more searching found out you need the disconnect tool. From another post Sinner6.0L recommended the Assenmacher 8023 , Disconnect tool. Quoted "the Assenmacher 8023 is by far the best tool made for disconnecting the 1/2" tranny cooler lines from the radiator. I don't even waste my time with the plastic tools anymore, most of the times our fittings are rusted to hell with a ****load of dirt and debris lodged up in there."

The Assenmacher disconnect is aluminum , and I decided to by the set instead of the single tool. I am debating messing with a fan clutch tool set too, I normally use aheavy punch and a hammer to remove them but the tool set seem much nicer. I found a nice KD tool ford 6.0L fanclutch wrench set for $40...argh ..lol more tools is a good thing
Old 04-29-2013, 06:09 PM
Emergency Services

This looks like it'll be fun to watch.

More tools is always a good thing...as long as you have the cash! haha

If you're going with the BPD air cooler I wouldn't worry too much about flushing the cooling system after you're done. The big issue with flushing after is when you're running the OEM cooler, it works really well as a filter during the flush and ends up plugged up again.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:23 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Just bulletproofed my 04 ex this winter. Have fun

are you removing the hvac system ? also if you pull the inner fenderwells out it makes the lower bolts on the valve cover and oil rails easier to get to.

as far as the fan goes i used a large pipe wrench and a srewdriver to get it off. makes a world of difference standing in the engine bay instead of leaning over trying to get it all.

I went with BD's intercooler boots which are top notch. I have a set of vulcan boots that are brand new i could give you a heck of a deal on. boots and clamps. I had ordered them but they were on back order everywhere so i went with bds because i needed them quick.

I would definiatly go with a metal intercooler pipe, any of the ford sponsors here can get you a good deal on one.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:29 PM

Worked on it half a day on tuesday, then got recalled to work.... argh, got fan off big wrench 1 7/8" and a tire iron to hold hub etc just smacked the wrench with hammer etc, I tried the long big punch and hammer on the nut with no luck first lol... got fuel lines off, most of the wiring harness disconnected, need to do pass side bottom and the drivers side oil pressure ? I think..this thing is a pain with the radiator trans cooler fittings the special tool I ordered hasn't come in but I tried a plastic Lisle tool and it won't fit in the fitting to release it.. so the radiator is driveing me nuts.. I'm still thinking hard on a Common Rail Cummins '05 and up swap, with a zf6.. I have a line on a zf6 swap from a 7.3 truck in a local yard only 91 k on it but no history ,or way to test it out etc... & my photo bucket account is full so I can't link ne pictures with out more storaqge, hope to fix that asap . Its always something...
Thanks,
Deo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.