Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Head Gasket Help

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  20046.0PSDX 
#1 ·
This is my first post, so I hope I do this right. I have two questions: 1. What is the best way to go to a dealer and ask about head gaskets? It just started leaking the other day on my 2004 Excursion and I don't know if I should tell them
that I use a SCT or not. 2. When I get this fixed I know that I should use head
studs but what about the gaskets?? New to owning a Ford, I traded in my 04 CTD for a growing family. Thanks for the help.

#2 ·
Wish Ya Luck On This One Bud!! If you can return to stock and drive it a bit to get it back in factory setting then take it back and SAY NOTHING about SCT. If they detect it they have to proove it did cause the damage in the first place. Some dealership are better dealing with this issue than others. I really don't know why..............they get paid by Ford for warranty work dont they. Good Luck!

#9 ·
i worked at a dealership once.. and all i can say about that is there's a big difference in what the warranty will pay you hourly and what customer pay (aka :bottom:) pays hourly

#3 ·
OH....sorry for my rudeness.......Welcome Aboard!!

#5 ·
Yeah, run it stock as for a little bit...the factory gaskets will be fine unless you are doing BIG power, and even then, a lot of the big pushers still use the factory gaskets. If you feel like you want to do the studs, I'd stick with the stock gaskets..that's what I have done.

Some, and I say some, dealers will even use the studs if you ask.

Oh, is it the heads actually leaking, or are you blowing coolant out the bottle?

And :ORG welcome:

P.S. I moved this thread for you to the EX forum for ya.:thumb:

#8 ·
Flat heads and block deck w/ ARP studs and OEM gaskets seem to be the best combo short of fire-rings. Tried the Hypermax wire-rings and blew out #5 into the water jacket.

I'd be mums about the SCT, use the "don't ask, don't tell" policy. If they ask, just tell them "I just bought the truck... Not really lying, just not finishing the story...:tard:

BTW mine was tuned 250 miles from home and no tuner in the truck at the time...so it was "on me":doh: That's when "mod-fever" set in :woot:

Good luck:thumb:

Amp

#10 ·
originally posted by Bargecap
i worked at a dealership once.. and all i can say about that is there's a big difference in what the warranty will pay you hourly and what customer pays hourly
Proof positive the whole "book hours" dealio is a ripoff. Not bashing Ford as this is rampant in the automotive/motorcycle industry. I've heard the whole "flip-side" story about it benefiting the consumer if it takes them longer than the book-hour rate but I bet those times are virtually nonexistent.:doh: Looks like the factory must pay more of a true hourly rate.:(

Stay Tuned
Amp

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.