Axle seal/Front Bearing Issues - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Ford Excursion Discussion This forum is for topics relating to the excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2013, 11:15 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Axle seal/Front Bearing Issues

Greetings All,

Though I've got quite a bit of wrenching experience on my older vehicles, I've not done a lot of diy maintenance on my '03 Excursion. Please pardon the noob questions as I try to wrap my brain around this beast.

Trying to track down a "growl" seemingly coming fron the front end. Sounded like a wheel bearing so I lifted the front and checked for vertical play fron the 12 and 6 o'clock positions. No detectable play on either side, but rolling the passenger side wheel was less than smooth. Felt and heard a little "bumpy" resistance that I think might result in the sound I'm hearing when the wheel is rolling on the road supporting the weight of the truck. Also noticed what must be a seal failure, though my inexperience with maintenance on this truck prevents me from nailing down exactly which seal. Seal is leaking enough that fluid is leaking down and dripping from the lower ball joint.

So, and again I'm new at wrenching on this monster, is this a diy job? Bearings and replacing this seal? No stranger to diving in and working on my own vehicles, and really enjoy it. But I admit to being a little intimidated by this one.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!
Attached Thumbnails
Axle seal/Front Bearing Issues-photo-2-.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.