"New" 05 Excursion - 286,000 miles - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Ford Excursion Discussion This forum is for topics relating to the excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2013, 09:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
"New" 05 Excursion - 286,000 miles

After a few years of research we finally settled on a truck. We tow a 5000 lb trailer, which, here in the high altitude of the Colorado Rockies was a lot of work for our Expedition. Even on flats. Turbo needed.

I was looking at a 2000 7.3L which had a salvage title. Needed a few grand worth of work but mechanically in pretty good shape. Then I ran into a craigslist ad for an '05 Limited with 286k on it. Heck that's a highway cruiser. It had all the service records and was meticulously maintained. Original transmission. Multiple transmission flushes, synthetic fluid. Regular oil changes, injector flushes and BG additives. 5 new injectors at 240k. Bone stock. DVD remote and headphones are in their original bubble wrap. Brake control harness still in original wrapper. Hitch looks like it has never been used. Brand new batteries. Pictures here.

My mechanic checked it out today. Due for a tranny service so we flushed it, changed both filters and filled w/ Synthetic. He found a few things:
  • AC Dye, likely that compressor is on its way out
  • Small oil seepage from right side of block (valve cover or around injectors) - hardly notable

He also found some codes. Cleared them and they came back. Not tripping the check engine light. I couldn't reproduce with my cheap OBD2 scanner - hoping I can pull them out of TORQUE when I get my bluetooth port scanner.
  • P1876 Tcase 2WD solenoid open
  • P2832 Tcase 4x4 solenoid fault
  • B1359 Ignition/Run accessory circuit fault
  • B1483 Breake pedal input circuit fault
  • P1812 Transmission 4WD select mode circuit failure
  • [?]2016 Overhead Trip Signal Link
  • C1710 R R Center Sensor Fault

Oddly though, 4x4 and the selector works fine. The backup sensors do not (perhaps relate to the last code?) and there are no other indicators of system malfunction. Overhead trip works fine. Any thoughts?

Rigging it up to tow - looking forward to some camping!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2013, 09:36 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
sounds like someone unplugged the t-case at one point, clear the codes and see if they return.
Old 04-06-2013, 05:40 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yeah, my mechanic did clear the codes and they came right back. My diagnostic tool doesn't see those codes.

Hear no evil, see no evil?
Old 04-06-2013, 05:57 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Welcome to the site! Nice to see your already elbow deep in their taking care of business!
When you get a chance check out our Colorado chapter on here. Bunch of good guys.
Were are you at in Colorado?
Old 04-06-2013, 05:59 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks, I'll look that up! We're in Evergreen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.