After a few years of research we finally settled on a truck. We tow a 5000 lb trailer, which, here in the high altitude of the Colorado Rockies was a lot of work for our Expedition. Even on flats. Turbo needed.
I was looking at a 2000 7.3L which had a salvage title. Needed a few grand worth of work but mechanically in pretty good shape. Then I ran into a craigslist ad for an '05 Limited with 286k on it. Heck that's a highway cruiser. It had all the service records and was meticulously maintained. Original transmission. Multiple transmission flushes, synthetic fluid. Regular oil changes, injector flushes and BG additives. 5 new injectors at 240k. Bone stock. DVD remote and headphones are in their original bubble wrap. Brake control harness still in original wrapper. Hitch looks like it has never been used. Brand new batteries. Pictures here.
My mechanic checked it out today. Due for a tranny service so we flushed it, changed both filters and filled w/ Synthetic. He found a few things:
- AC Dye, likely that compressor is on its way out
- Small oil seepage from right side of block (valve cover or around injectors) - hardly notable
He also found some codes. Cleared them and they came back. Not tripping the check engine light. I couldn't reproduce with my cheap OBD2 scanner - hoping I can pull them out of TORQUE when I get my bluetooth port scanner.
- P1876 Tcase 2WD solenoid open
- P2832 Tcase 4x4 solenoid fault
- B1359 Ignition/Run accessory circuit fault
- B1483 Breake pedal input circuit fault
- P1812 Transmission 4WD select mode circuit failure
- [?]2016 Overhead Trip Signal Link
- C1710 R R Center Sensor Fault
Oddly though, 4x4 and the selector works fine. The backup sensors do not (perhaps relate to the last code?) and there are no other indicators of system malfunction. Overhead trip works fine. Any thoughts?
Rigging it up to tow - looking forward to some camping!