Max towing rating - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Ford Excursion Discussion This forum is for topics relating to the excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2008, 08:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Max towing rating

What is the maximum tongue/trailer weight that can safely be handled? I am looking at buying a Bayliner 305 boat with a dry weight of 11,857 lbs . Trailer would probably be another 2000 lbs. Any mods that can be made to safely tow this?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2008, 08:41 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Fill out your signature about your truck so we can help you further.... But with any superduty diesel will handle this no problem....
Old 01-23-2008, 08:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I haven't purchased the truck yet either. Stuck between a 05 Excursion 6.0 or a 06 F350 King Ranch. Would rather have the Excursion but just wanted to be sure of the towing capacity. Didn't know if any modifications would have to be made to the Excursion for the extra weight.

Thanks
Old 01-23-2008, 08:59 PM
Blowin Smoke

EZ

Either of those 6.slow Litres are going to be getting horrible fuel mileage under that kind of weight, but they'll easily tow it. A 99-03' year model with the 7.3L would be a better choice for regualr heavy towing in my book. Also, I would personally take the F350 over the Excursion for towing and overall praticality.

Last edited by firemedic355; 01-23-2008 at 09:01 PM. Reason: forgot to add
Old 01-23-2008, 09:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Hey don't be picking on Excursions:-) I have one and nobody asks me to help move like they did when I had a PU
Old 01-23-2008, 09:14 PM
Blowin Smoke

true

That is a very good point. But how do you move yourself when the time comes??? I just like pickups better for overall ease of use. I've had plenty of SUV's and P/U's, so I can judge both.
Old 01-24-2008, 05:07 AM

so you're looking at 14K#'s hitched to the X?...i wouldn't tow that much myself..i know an X could do it..my T/H is 11K#'s+ and it pulls it fine..the GCVWR on the 6.0 X's is 20K#'s, max trailer weight is 11K#'s(2wd)..

if you were to go with the X, you'd have to have bags in the back and a gear swap to improve performance..3.73's are all the PSD X's ever came with..then there's the tounge weight issue..the hitch on the X's is a class V..not a class 5..you have a W/D max of 1250 lbs...i know i'm over that soemetimes with my T/H..i've only heard of 1 place(in CA) that will make a custom hitch for these trucks..the issue there is the "blocker beam", and the liability when removing it..

i'd go with the P/U to tow that heavy..
Old 01-24-2008, 05:33 AM
Big Daddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmaccal View Post
Hey don't be picking on Excursions:-) I have one and nobody asks me to help move like they did when I had a PU
I moved with my Excursion, and I put 2500# of books inside, and an 18' lowboy trailer, and it hauled EVERYTHING out of a 2 br apt that a friend was living ... 1 trip ...
Old 01-24-2008, 05:35 AM
Big Daddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonyman1292 View Post
What is the maximum tongue/trailer weight that can safely be handled? I am looking at buying a Bayliner 305 boat with a dry weight of 11,857 lbs . Trailer would probably be another 2000 lbs. Any mods that can be made to safely tow this?

Thanks

The towing capacity will be the same, but you lose the ability to carry more with a 5th wheel hitch. That is where the truck will shine. I disagree that the 6.FAAAAAAST gets poor mileage while towing. Mine gets 22+ highway, and I got 19.5 with 3000# in the bed of the truck, and 19 towing a 24' boat.

Bob~!
Old 01-24-2008, 05:40 AM

19 mpg while towing..... please tell me your joking if your complaining!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.