A non-mechanical review of Excursion Wandering Steering - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Ford Excursion Discussion This forum is for topics relating to the excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2012, 11:03 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
A non-mechanical review of Excursion Wandering Steering

I recently purchased a 2003 X with the 6.0l. When I drove it home it wandered all over the road. I explored the forums here and read so much, with so many differing opinions that I was completely confused.
Axle Wrap - soft Springs - Rear Sway - X codes, Vcodes, Steering Box, Ball Joints .... on and on..

From someone that does not do their own work, and does not know how to, I will say this. I changed the ball joints. as they needed to be changed, and the sway bar links were bad as well, changed those.

changed the steering box to a stock replacement from the dealership, 725.00 out the door and WALA! all fixed. steering is tight as a drum. no play, no wandering no nothing. A pleasure to drive.

Now I appreciate the advice on this forums and it educated me so much on the excursion, but biting the bullet on the cost was the hardest part. but I dont regret it at all.

For information, my X is stock height with 20" HD wheels and 34's. I just purchased a new ICON all spring lift of 5" and some new 18" Artillary wheels with 35's. I did that because of all the information on this site.

so thank you all for costing me 5 grand ! and fixing my steering issue
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2012, 04:31 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

You definitely took the expensive route...but I think we all here have that problem !
Old 12-29-2012, 05:50 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjackermann View Post

For information, my X is stock height with 20" HD wheels and 34's. I just purchased a new ICON all spring lift of 5" and some new 18" Artillary wheels with 35's. I did that because of all the information on this site.

so thank you all for costing me 5 grand ! and fixing my steering issue
Do you have before and after pics?

I just bought a set of 20" Eagle Alloy 016's and I think I'm going to go with 295/60R20 (34.4") Nitto Trail Grapplers

I'm doing the V & B code spring swap in the next week or so.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:20 AM

I will do before and after. It is not installed yet. Just blew the hpop and the dealer is not done raping me yet. Once I get it back I will lft t and post pictures
Old 12-30-2012, 05:30 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Looking forward to seeing pics.

When I save up enough cash I am seriously thinking of dropping my Ex off at CT Performance as Cary knows pretty much everything about what works and what doesn't work for our Ex's

Last edited by Term3; 12-30-2012 at 05:37 AM.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:08 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Bring it down......we always have room for a Excursion...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.