Engine light on already - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Ford Excursion Discussion This forum is for topics relating to the excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2012, 12:13 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Engine light on already

Hey guys I just had a check engine light on my truck come on. I was excelerating from a stop light (not flooring it or anything) and It dinged and came on. I have not felt anything diffrent in the engine running all temps and gauges are reading normal. I cant afford to take it to the Ford Dealership and have them run the codes (150 dollars). Is there anyway to check it. Or does anyone have reader that I can borrow? I cant afford to have this truck breaking down on my wife and Kiddos. I hope its just a bad reading or something and when I reset it it dont come back!! Please Help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2012, 01:18 PM

Most Auto parts stores will run codes for you for free not sure about diesels but worth a try
Old 11-01-2012, 04:10 PM
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvincent View Post
Most Auto parts stores will run codes for you for free not sure about diesels but worth a try
Not Diesels there code readers dont work Found that out when my truck broke down
Old 11-01-2012, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWRSTROKETHIS View Post
Not Diesels there code readers dont work Found that out when my truck broke down
That sucks i have a mechanic I've been going to for years he would read it for free for me, ford should just read it for free cause it takes them hours to do u know.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:47 PM
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvincent View Post
That sucks i have a mechanic I've been going to for years he would read it for free for me, ford should just read it for free cause it takes them hours to do u know.
Hey the old man that has been working at the dealership for 50 years has to pay for his hip replacement from crawling un and out of these trucks I would ask more money if i would have been asked to work on the guys truck that was there when I went even if it was just plugging in a wire and pushing a button. easly 15 inches of lift and 44 inch tires (oh yeah its the guys daily driver) It had welded bars that dropped from the bumper to pass the Tennessee Bumper Law
Old 11-01-2012, 08:25 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I was able to read codes with a regular craftsman code reader. I would try the parts store. You really should get a monitor on this truck anyways, those can read codes in addition to providing you with engine critical information. My scangaugeII does all the code reading and monitoring that I need and it was only $160
Old 11-06-2012, 06:53 AM

The code reader at my local O'Reilly parts store pulled codes from my 03 6.0. The OBD system is the same diesel or gas.

And for 12 bucks you can get yourself one of these and read your codes anytime you want:
Amazon.com: Soliport ELM 327 Bluetooth OBDII OBD2 Diagnostic Scanner: Automotive Amazon.com: Soliport ELM 327 Bluetooth OBDII OBD2 Diagnostic Scanner: Automotive

as for your problem - if the engine continued to run fine and you did not see any other lights, gauges etc with a problem, 90% of the time that is an egr code.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:37 PM
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeplj8 View Post
The code reader at my local O'Reilly parts store pulled codes from my 03 6.0. The OBD system is the same diesel or gas.

And for 12 bucks you can get yourself one of these and read your codes anytime you want:
Amazon.com: Soliport ELM 327 Bluetooth OBDII OBD2 Diagnostic Scanner: Automotive

as for your problem - if the engine continued to run fine and you did not see any other lights, gauges etc with a problem, 90% of the time that is an egr code.
Hey a little note that I just found out my reader read my codes MY FICM is going bad. AND NO PARTS STORES HAVE THEM!!!
Old 11-07-2012, 07:45 PM

What are the codes?

ODBII readers are cheap.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWRSTROKETHIS View Post
Hey a little note that I just found out my reader read my codes MY FICM is going bad. AND NO PARTS STORES HAVE THEM!!!
you need to do a little research on FICM's here. you really want a quality unit from a trusted source.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.