Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Marietta, GA
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Another Climate Control Mystery
For the last year my climate control panel has indicated an outside air temperature of 50F. I performed all of the usual steps and got these results:
1. Checked all the connections and plugs. No change
2. Removed the Outside Air Temperature Sensor: No change.
3. Jumpered the connection where the Air Temperature Sensor Usually Mounts: No change.
4. Installed new Temperature Sensor: Still reads 50 but will occasionally start ticking down to -18F then slowly returns to 50.
5. Reinstalled Original Temperature Sensor: Back to a reading of 50F.
6. Had the A/C Serviced: No change in the reading.
7. Took it To the Ford Dealership: After the indifferent questions, the technician spent ten minutes looking at the truck and told me it was the outside air temperature sensor. He then tried to convince me my customer installed XM Radio antenna was the sensor. That is a $110 I will never get back.
8. Replaced the Control Panel: No Change. Want to buy a perfectly good control panel? Cheap?
BONUS SYMPTOM: Like most of the country, we are experiencing some very hot temperatures right now. Occasionally, when the temperature exceeds 95F, the indicated outside temperature will start ticking upward until it accurately reads the outside temperature. Then the inside temperature works as designed and life is grand. Until the truck is shut off or the temperature outside falls below about 95F.
Every so-called expert has looked at this, given me long and drawn out explanations but nobody can identify the problem. I have traced the wire as far as I can looking for intermittant open but without an accurate wiring diagram I can't get back to the panel where I ASSUME the temperature info is mixed with the cabin temperature to schedule the air conditioned air.
Has anyone seen this and has anyone got a solution? It is driving me crazy.
Reverie a/k/a "Melting in Atlanta"
2003 Eddie Bauer, 6.0 Oil Burner, 4x4
Hardened Studs, 4" Magnaflow, Uprated Brakes, Everything MacNeil Makes for My Truck, Monster Stereo Setup, SCT Tuner
Towing like it isn't even back there!