Just bought 6.0diesel for wife and got some questions pls - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Ford Excursion Discussion This forum is for topics relating to the excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2012, 04:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Just bought 6.0diesel for wife and got some questions pls

Just bought the wifey a 04 Eddie Bauer 6.0 diesel 131000mi 4x4 ex. This is my first time owning a 6.0. My dad has one and my friends have them. Me I still got the old reliable 2001 3/4 7.3L 180,000 and still rolling. With the excursion when u accelerate from a dead stop I hear a loud clunk. Almost like the back glass on the barn doors isn't shut. But it is. Almost in my mind sounds like the rear shocks compressing which I know I should not be hearing. It's only at acceleration when u take off. Could it be drive shaft or swing bearings, sway bars, idk wondering if anyone else have ever had that noise and how did y'all resolve it.

I am bringing it to coys diesel specialties next week to get egr delete kit and change both valve cover gaskets. I got to change ball joints and tie rod ends also.

We have 5 kids and they are just getting old enough to get into rodeo with me so to be legal we needed the room. Lol. With that being said this 6.0 will be the wife's everyday vehicle and occasionally pull a two horse aluminum trailer.
I want to put some kind of tune or programmer on it for fuel economy MAINLY and maybe a performance tune for every now and then. What is the best thing like the cts. I like it because I want it mounted and always be able to watch the digital gauges and monitor the motor. so if my wife is driving and something goes wrong or overheats it will throw a alarm. But I also want it to tune or program the vehicle. What are yalls opinions? Keep in mind I got 5 kids lol and ain't trying to break the bank. 500 or less. I just put a cold air afe intake on it and the 4" exhaust with cat delete is next.

It wanders a little on the road but not to bad. Going to put a new stabilizer on. Just put new rancho 5000's on the front. Gotta order the rear cause they were not in stock.

So with all that being said what can y'all tell me or suggest or give me some insight to. Any and all suggestions pls. Also what are some good tips and things to expect with this motor. Also once I do the egr delete considering the vehicle is gonna be driven by the wife and not dogged or raced what are the odds of it blowing head gaskets and needing ARP's?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2012, 04:32 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean35 View Post
Just bought the wifey a 04 Eddie Bauer 6.0 diesel 131000mi 4x4 ex. This is my first time owning a 6.0. My dad has one and my friends have them. Me I still got the old reliable 2001 3/4 7.3L 180,000 and still rolling. With the excursion when u accelerate from a dead stop I hear a loud clunk. Almost like the back glass on the barn doors isn't shut. But it is. Almost in my mind sounds like the rear shocks compressing which I know I should not be hearing. It's only at acceleration when u take off. Could it be drive shaft or swing bearings, sway bars, idk wondering if anyone else have ever had that noise and how did y'all resolve it.

I am bringing it to coys diesel specialties next week to get egr delete kit and change both valve cover gaskets. I got to change ball joints and tie rod ends also.

We have 5 kids and they are just getting old enough to get into rodeo with me so to be legal we needed the room. Lol. With that being said this 6.0 will be the wife's everyday vehicle and occasionally pull a two horse aluminum trailer.
I want to put some kind of tune or programmer on it for fuel economy MAINLY and maybe a performance tune for every now and then. What is the best thing like the cts. I like it because I want it mounted and always be able to watch the digital gauges and monitor the motor. so if my wife is driving and something goes wrong or overheats it will throw a alarm. But I also want it to tune or program the vehicle. What are yalls opinions? Keep in mind I got 5 kids lol and ain't trying to break the bank. 500 or less. I just put a cold air afe intake on it and the 4" exhaust with cat delete is next.

It wanders a little on the road but not to bad. Going to put a new stabilizer on. Just put new rancho 5000's on the front. Gotta order the rear cause they were not in stock.

So with all that being said what can y'all tell me or suggest or give me some insight to. Any and all suggestions pls. Also what are some good tips and things to expect with this motor. Also once I do the egr delete considering the vehicle is gonna be driven by the wife and not dogged or raced what are the odds of it blowing head gaskets and needing ARP's?

Save your money on the intake, but i would do the exhaust, i have an intake but many say the stocker flows just as good, hindsight is 20/20.
Definitely get some sort of gauge setup, CTS is the best route you could always get just the monitor for now to watch your deltas, egts (w/ probe), etc, they are around 379 i believe i ebay.

Your deltas are critical to making sure you dont have a plugged oil cooler which leads to headgasket failure, running the truck hard once and a while is actually good for the 6.0, running it to squeeze every ounce of fuel out of it can lead to turbo issues, sticking veins etc.
Old 06-26-2012, 04:33 PM

misread your original post you already have an intake/ exhaust. concentrate on gauges next then.
Old 06-26-2012, 04:35 PM

if your going to tune go with SCT but not too aggressive without head studs, (maybe a canned tune or something)
Old 06-26-2012, 04:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

No I don't want anything real aggressive. I got my 7.3 that is aggressive enough for me and most gassers I pull next to. Lol
Does sct make a screen with gauges like the cts. Just wondering what the other options are. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 06-26-2012, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean35 View Post
No I don't want anything real aggressive. I got my 7.3 that is aggressive enough for me and most gassers I pull next to. Lol
Does sct make a screen with gauges like the cts. Just wondering what the other options are. Thanks for the feedback.
Yes its called the Touchscreen extreme but its pricey i think around 900 for the whole setup.

SCT TSX WIRELESS PROGRAMMER 1999-10 FORD POWERSTROKE | eBay

They also have the live wire which is less fancy looking but serves the same purpose.

Ford 6.0 7.3 Diesel SCT Livewire 9600 Tuner EGT kit EGR | eBay
Old 06-26-2012, 05:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I like it but trying to find something under 500. Like I said mainly to observe temps and boost but also tune to.
Old 06-26-2012, 05:36 PM

Edge Insight Monitor CTS 03-07 POWERSTROKE F250 / 01-10 DURAMAX 6.6L Silverado | eBay

Edge CTS Monitor only no programmer this is your best bet for the money
Old 06-26-2012, 05:38 PM

I would add a tuner later your gonna be hard pressed to find a monitor tuner for less than 500

The edge tuners are cheaper but leave alot to be desired tune wise your better off getting edge cts/sct combo
Old 06-26-2012, 05:51 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
only way to go with this truck is edge for gauges and a sct for programming if you program it with the edge you better go ahead and order a new tranny because it will eat that tranny up
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.