Loose Steering - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Ford Excursion Discussion This forum is for topics relating to the excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2005, 11:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Loose Steering

On my 2005 Excursion, I had the dealer change out the tires from a LT265/75R16 to a LT285/75R16 (both sets were BF Goodrich) in order to raise the vehicle about an 1 1/2 inches for head clearance on the liftgate. The steering on the vehicle tends to have a mind of its own. It tracks straight, but then will just move to one side or the other and the driver (me) has to correct for it. The result is a drive that is more like a weave down the road.

Is this a result of the oversize sidewalls on the tires or is there something else wrong?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2005, 10:14 PM

excursion steering

I have bfg's also and it does have a light touch at high speeds but my sister had firestones and it was hard to keep straight on grooved freeways I would like to try something with a 18" or 20" rim to get rid of some side wall to see if that helps
Old 01-08-2006, 09:04 AM
Banned

look at your right side of the steering linkage and see if it has a steering dampener. it will look like a shock going from the axle to the steering linkage. if it doesnt, you can get one for it, if the brackets arent there ford makes some bolt on ones, and if the brackets are there, just get the dampender and the bolts to mount it to the brackets. this helps a lot with it pulling on its own.
Old 01-08-2006, 10:22 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to 99Smokin73Stroker Send a message via Yahoo to 99Smokin73Stroker
Hey mschn99 I have a 99, but it's been lifted 4 inches. Would the factory dampener still work or should I go ahead and get something a little more beefier to handle my 35's? They're wide too, 13 inches...
Old 01-09-2006, 06:15 AM
Banned

i would probably look for a little beefier one if it was my truck, but the stock one will help no matter what....just maybe not as much as you would like
Old 01-09-2006, 01:00 PM

Send a message via AIM to 99Smokin73Stroker Send a message via Yahoo to 99Smokin73Stroker
I figured so. I don't really notice a whole lot of bumpsteer or wandering now. However this is the second lifted truck i've owned with 35's on it and neither one had steering dampeners on them, so i'm betting I would see quite a difference once I did put 'em on.
Old 01-09-2006, 04:23 PM
Banned

i have a feeling that even the stock one would make a noticable difference if you have not had any wandering issues......the other main cause of wandering on superduties is the short drag link that attatches to the pitman arm, and the ball joints that heavily worked superduties, and ones that drive rough roads a lot eat like candy.
Old 01-09-2006, 07:30 PM

I'll just have to wait for a while. I try to get a lot of my parts and stuff for the truck at shows. They always seem to have a lower price, or I just haggle the hell out of them until I get what I want. I definitely know how tires can wear them out faster though. When I first bought the truck it had 315/75/16 cooper discoverer A/T's on outlaw II's, and the seller gave me a barely used set of goodyear MT/R's on some black fake beadlocks of the same size. I could lift the wheel/tire combo of the coopers with one arm pretty easy, but when I took them off and put the MT/R tires on I could tell they were very heavy cuz it was everything I could do with one arm to lift them up. I had them on for about a month and switched back to the coopers until they got too low on tread. That's when I bought my nitto's on 18s.
Old 02-02-2006, 05:28 PM

my michelin ltx ms' track a lot better than my old firestone steeltex's...i don't like those firestones...i think they're junk...

wes
Old 02-02-2006, 06:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

loose steering

i have a 95 350 2wd 4d brought it back from the lease and noticed a grinding followed by a loud pop doesnt grind now but i have alot of play in the swheel since any ideas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.