Bad ficm? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Ford Excursion Discussion This forum is for topics relating to the excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2012, 06:53 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Bad ficm?

I just put this excursion back together and it was only reading 12.45v and the ficm was at 32v. I finally ended up putting an alternator on it and it's still saying 12.8 till I rev it up a bit and it goes to 13.6 but the ficm bounces up and down from 38-45 at the most and it's showing a ficm code, just wanted some opinions before I throw a ficm on it..

Also I put the amsoil bypass kit on and the oil pressure gauge included was at about 55psi at idle and after driving it a few times it's at about 25 at idle, is this normal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2012, 02:16 AM

That is definately a bad FICM. Replace it sooner rather then later. Quick Tricks has some good deals on FICM's with lifetime warranties.

I've never put an oil pressure gauge on my Excursion, but based on my experience with ever other vehicle I'd say that is normal. Once the oil heats up and gets more fluid the pressure will drop. Now you should be able to find a standard oil pressure range for a warm engine someplace. Do you have a Haynes manual maybe?
Old 02-14-2012, 05:12 AM

No powerstroke.org is my Haynes lol.. And that makes sense I guess, it's got 5-40 in it.
Wheres quick tricks, I found a place called ficm fixer for 110 with lifetime warranty
Old 02-14-2012, 08:24 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Yeah man use the guy from ficmfixer.com , that who I just used $98.00 same day service, and they are local to me so I dropped off, put back in and truck runs much smoother.
Old 02-14-2012, 02:55 PM

Welcome to Quick Tricks!.

It's hard to beat that price though if he knows what he's doing.
Old 02-14-2012, 02:57 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Well all I can say is my truck is running great, he has lots of positive feedback, says he is electrical engineer, and gives lifetime warranty. Says he's never had a unit come back.
Old 03-24-2012, 05:04 AM
Serving Our Country!

7.3ofbft, thanks for saying that about ficmfixer.com, i was on the fence between ficmfixer.com and ficmrepair.com. ficmrepair.com is a bit more expensive, but they also say they had a 'few ficms come back', but insist they came back because the customer also had an injector problem they didn't tend to.

I was going to give it a shot and attempt to do this myself, to save a $100, but i don't lifetime warranty my work like ficmfixer.com, and I don't want to make anything worse than it already is.

Another to note about the two guys that i mentioned, they don't just re-solder parts/pins, they replace the entire power supply and check for and correct other faulty components within the ficm.

Mine measured 48v at key on, 46-47v during crank, and 31v at engine on. (That was with batteries both measure 12.5v at engine off.)
Old 03-24-2012, 06:24 AM

I also used ficmfixer, I took it to him in person and he got right on it and only took him about 45 minutes, his name is Shannon Sizemore, very nice guy and he will be getting my ficm's from now on
Old 03-27-2012, 04:36 AM

i repaired mine last week! soldered the 16points on the back and the 4 little mico boards(that says dale) on the other side, i get 49volts while running(very easy to do)
Old 03-27-2012, 05:40 AM
Emergency Services

Just a note about battery voltage and the FICM. Just because the battery holds a charge at 12V or so does NOT mean they are still good. They need to be load tested to be sure. They may hold a charge but when they are placed under load they might be discharging to quickly and be unable to supply enough voltage to glow plugs, starter, FICM and the rest of the electrical components. It's important to have them tested to rule them out as the cause of low FICM voltage and to make sure they don't take out a good FICM.

Just wanted to avoid any confusion between having charged batteries and "good" batteries.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.