First Diesel (Truck) - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Ford Excursion Discussion This forum is for topics relating to the excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2012, 01:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
First Diesel (Truck)

Been lurking here for some time... Got the Excursion ~6mos ago. When I test drove it I was so worried about running stuff over. Haha. Now I can rip around no problem. The truck has 142k on it. Not being used to the truck / 6.0 I think in hind site there was an injector bad when I got it... I didnt know.

Ended up having a balance test done that proved a bad #4 injector. 1 injector, 3 glow plugs, a glow plug module, oil filter cap(long story, make sure yours is correct SIZE), and a MAF pigtail (wires pulled out due to strain on it from a K&N filter/box)... Since then its been a beast. I love this machine. Worth all the headaches, pains at the pump, and nights staring in the engine compartment in wonder. My wife and kids love it too. My son refuses to go anywhere in the Jetta (diesel TDI) now.

Questions: I'm wondering if the truck had any tunes as when we got it I was seeing 18 hwy and 14 cty. It seems after a month or so when I noticed the injector that things went downhill.

Now that all is fixed I am seeing 13 around home. This is stop and go up and down county roads. Thinking I may want to get a tuner to help w/ MPG.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2012, 06:29 PM
Serving Our Country!

we have an 04 with the 6.0 in it too.. ours is running great and its getting all the 6.0 problems fixed at the end of the month.. Ours gets about 14-15 in town and 20-21 hand calculated. Its been cold here in colorado and when its really cold out mpg goes out the window, heck even the winter blend gas is killing my mpg on my 4 banger yota.. One thing I can say to check is pull your egr valve and clean it, maybe its just me but i think we got better mpg since I cleaned it.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

MPG's

Yes, that sounds more like the mpg's I was getting before the #4 injector went bad. When I drove the truck off the lot the display showed 18. I was able to keep it around 18 hwy and 14 cty for some time. It wasn't until I changed oil that the issues started. I replaced the oil filter with a Motorcraft filter as I wasn't sure about others and Rotella 15-40. At some point after is when the surging started and the MPG's went to 11-12. Ended up that my oil filter cap wasn't a factory cap............. was an aftermarket cap that was deeper to support a longer filter............ who knew. The Motorcraft filter wasn't in far enough to make a seal or to fully close the drain valve at the bottom. I think dirty oil is what killed my injector due to poor filtering. A $900 mistake.

Now that this is behind me I just love this truck. I have access to an older Superchips tuner (new) that im thinking of getting for 200. Im just looking to try and get back to that 15-18mpg mark.
Old 01-11-2012, 01:00 PM
Serving Our Country!

dont waste your money on the superchips, put it towards and sct and get some custom tunes... do some research for sct custom tunes and you will like what you find. ours came with the bullydog gauge/tuner on it but its going away for an edge insight and sct with custom tunes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.