No rear heat - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Ford Excursion Discussion This forum is for topics relating to the excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2011, 06:54 AM
MARSOC > Seals

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question No rear heat

As the title says. I have no rear heat in the Excursion. I have check the blend door actuator, blend door along with other things. I thought it was a clogged heater core. I changed that out with a brand new one and still no heat.

I do have heat up front.

I'm lost. Don't know what else to look at or try.

Anything would be helpful. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2011, 12:08 PM
MARSOC > Seals

Anyone????
Old 12-11-2011, 12:29 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Have you verified that you are getting coolant to the rear core?
Old 12-11-2011, 01:10 PM
MARSOC > Seals

After I changed out the core I couldn't still get jay heat out of it. I took off the lines underneath the body and dumped around two gals. on me. I just don't know we're else to go from here. Lol
Old 12-11-2011, 05:30 PM
Premium Member

Maybe an air bubble? If you have access to an air lift (that may be a name brand) that could help you if air is the problem. It pulls a vacuum on the cooling system and then you use the vacuum to pull coolant back into it. It eliminates air bubbles on cars that are difficult to get coolant into. If not try parking the EX with the nose up hill to help work the air away from the rear core. Get it as steep as you can, jack it up in the front if you have to. Is this the first winter that you have owned it? If it is double check all of the coolant hoses up front to make sure something silly hasn't been bypassed. Hope you find it.
Old 12-12-2011, 06:52 AM
Emergency Services

Will it switch from the roof to floor vents and does the air movement increase when you turn up the fan?
Does the rear AC work?
Do you have electronic or manual controls?

Assuming you don't have any cooling system issues and it's an issue of good air flow but no heat, make sure the truck is warmed up and see shich hoses are hot. 190* coolant warms the hoses up pretty good.
Check the heater core inlet hose for flow.
Check the heater core outlet hose for flow.
Check the heater control valve inlet hose.

It's most likely an air bubble restricting flow like Sargar said but by feeling how hot the lines are you might get an idea of where the blockage is.
Old 12-12-2011, 03:38 PM
Premium Member

Have you had a chance to look at it again?
Old 01-02-2012, 06:29 AM
MARSOC > Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by sargar View Post
Have you had a chance to look at it again?
I'm going to today.. I'm gonna park it on a hill and see if there happens to be any air in the line..

As for the valve... I'm not for sure if it is working or not.. If it is not working does the front have heat or not?
Old 01-02-2012, 12:54 PM
MARSOC > Seals

well that didn't work
Old 01-02-2012, 06:39 PM
Premium Member

It's bound to be too cold for you to not have any rear heat in that GIANT expanse of a vehicle.

This is too simple of a system to be broken. Run it until you have good heat from the front and then start checking with your bare hands the pipes that run to the rear of the vehicle or have the rear disassembled so that you can lay your hand on the heater core. Look for a hot core. If it is not hot then you should be able to feel where the hot stops and the luke warm or cold starts. With all you have done I suspect that there is a blockage somewhere. I know you said that you dumped coolant on you when you removed lines from underneath but it may not be circulating enough to pull any heat out of it. There is a part number for a restrictor that goes in a heater hose to reduce the pressure that is being put on the front heater core. I have very little Excursion specific experience but they may have or offer something similar. You may possibly have a restrictor that you do not need or worse, you may have someone else's home made restrictor to block off a failed rear core.

I know you lose ALOT of coolant everytime you pull a hose on that land yacht but maybe you could pull the hoses in the engine compartment and run a water hose in one hose and check the flow out of the other hose? Now that it is cold outside lets go play in the water.

This is all assuming that the rear core has not been bypassed up front.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.