Sound system overhaul - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Ford Excursion Discussion This forum is for topics relating to the excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2011, 10:15 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Sound system overhaul

Guys I need advice before I end up breaking stuff by mistake. I have no problem doing the work, there are a few tricks on the ta do and don't list I could use help with.
2005 Excursion:
Door panel removal.
How or where did you run your power wire through the fire wall for your amps.
Factory 6 disc head unit removal from dash.

Any and all advice will be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2011, 01:48 PM

ok door panel removal starts with the black triangle bottom front of the windows. then pop off the light covers on the bottom rear of the door panels. rest is cake couple screws to remove if i recall you have to unbolt the door handle to. then you can lift the panel off i ran my 2 guage thru a slit i cut in the main harness boot. find four allen keys to shove in the holes in the radio then it slides out. if it doesnt have the holes, you need to pop off the dash panel then the radios bolted in. either way, they make install kits for your new radio. some people tell you theres no install kits for the older ones that use the push in style but there are. i used one in my 01
Old 12-05-2011, 01:54 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

i ran mine under the truck and and drilled holes threw the floor.
Old 12-05-2011, 07:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by motion vega View Post
ok door panel removal starts with the black triangle bottom front of the windows. then pop off the light covers on the bottom rear of the door panels. rest is cake couple screws to remove if i recall you have to unbolt the door handle to. then you can lift the panel off i ran my 2 guage thru a slit i cut in the main harness boot. find four allen keys to shove in the holes in the radio then it slides out. if it doesnt have the holes, you need to pop off the dash panel then the radios bolted in. either way, they make install kits for your new radio. some people tell you theres no install kits for the older ones that use the push in style but there are. i used one in my 01
Thanks guys that should get me started, and yes I have the 4 hole style head unit.
Did either of you run a sub box or anything of that nature. If so what size did ya go with ta fill your truck with some bass. What speakers did you use in your doors, and what head units
Old 12-06-2011, 06:04 AM

i have kenwood for everything.2 12s in a sealed box plates in the doors that have a 6 and a tweet class d amps dvd head unit screens in the front headrests sirius backseat tv amps under drivers side middle seat electronics mounted in the center console
Old 12-06-2011, 11:36 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Speakers and power

Did you fill all 6 holes with a 6"mid + tweeters?
How much power are you running to them, and how much to your subs?
Does 2 12s fill the truck with plenty of bass, if you had to do it over would you have gone with a different set up for your subs?
Reason I ask is because I'm kinda on the fence as ta run 2 12s, 3 10s, or even 4 10s.
Old 12-06-2011, 11:51 AM

i only did the 4 doors i didnt bother with the third row seats. im fairly happy with the 12s, but the sub amp is to small. it goes into thermal protection all the time when i crank on it. if i recall i have 75 watts per door. my eventual goal is to build a round enclosure into the place for the spare, since a 37 inch tire wont fit there. if i recall the sub amp is supposed to be 800 max its a kenwood digital. if i had it to do over again id probably do 8 10s o4 4 12s
Old 12-06-2011, 06:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Head unit ???

After you got your head unit out was it a real pain with what ever is connected to it to hook up yourself this is my major concern.
Old 12-06-2011, 06:46 PM

i did it all in my driveway some at night. the biggest thing is makeing sure everything works bevore you push the head unit in. its a huuuuuuuuuuuuge pain in the *** to get the thing back out. i only used the power ground and ant from the stocker everything else is new
Old 12-06-2011, 07:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Door speakers

On your doors did you run new wire, if so was there any issues......
I'm just getting things ready for this project. And if possible, I plan on doing all the work. I refuse ta pay someone for something I could possibly do myself.
Ty very much for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.