Retractable Steps - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Ford Excursion Discussion This forum is for topics relating to the excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2011, 03:29 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Retractable Steps

Just purchased a 2005 Excursion with fixed steps. I'm considering replacing the steps with the AMP or Bestep electric retractables. Does anyone have any experience with installation or quality issues for these?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2011, 04:35 PM
I wanna go fast!!!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I've had AMP steps on my truck for over two years with no problems. They see mud, dirt, and gravel at the farm too.
Old 11-06-2011, 06:53 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have AMPS on mine and love them. Just remember though, if you get that darned door switch failure the steps wont work when that door is opened. Install was really easy, the instructions for tracing the wiring harness for the trigger wire is very good. Just be sure to read the correct diagram since there are a few different ones.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:42 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I had the AMP/Bestop stpes on a 2005 Ram - they were simply the best mod I ever did. They were incredibly durable, even caked with a lot of snow/ice or mud they never failed to work. Cannot say enough good about them.

I had a buddy install them. Mine were the old style were you had to solder pins in, but I understand they stopped doing that and started shipping with inline plugs. That would make the install very user friendly.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by archtaan View Post
I have AMPS on mine and love them. Just remember though, if you get that darned door switch failure the steps wont work when that door is opened. Install was really easy, the instructions for tracing the wiring harness for the trigger wire is very good. Just be sure to read the correct diagram since there are a few different ones.
What did you do about the motor where it hits the AC lines on the passenger side?

To the OP: I've had them on my Crew Cab for years, love them! One of the best purchases I have made. I loved them so much, I put them on my Excursion just last week.
Old 11-19-2011, 12:15 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

These things are sweet! I couldn't imagine my truck without them. Shure does help throwing the wife up and in.
Old 11-19-2011, 12:59 AM

Thanks for the feedback guys, my new AMP powersteps are on the way and should arrive Monday. If I hustle maybe I can get the steps installed in time for the Thanksgiving. I'm sure my vertically challenged mother in law will appreciate them.
Old 11-20-2011, 07:46 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseldavem View Post
Thanks for the feedback guys, my new AMP powersteps are on the way and should arrive Monday. If I hustle maybe I can get the steps installed in time for the Thanksgiving. I'm sure my vertically challenged mother in law will appreciate them.
Been watching this thread with interest, as my wife is 4'12", and getting into the Ex is interesting for her. I'm a little confused reading the posts, one says AMP or Bestep, another mentioned them together as if they were 2 models from one company like Ford/Mercury. Is one better than the other, and where did everyone end up purchasing them from? I like to support .org sponsors, as long as their pricing is competitive, of course.
Old 11-20-2011, 07:55 AM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
If you deside on Amps we are a direct dealer for them..PM me if I can help.

We also have whats needed to fix the Excursion handling issues..

Cary
Old 11-20-2011, 08:50 AM

I bought mine through Amazon for about $1100. Shipping tracking indicates a Florida dealer. I expect delivery Monday afternoon and plan to install Tues of next week. If I learn anything not covered in the installation instructions, I'll post the info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.