Excursion handling issues? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Ford Excursion Discussion This forum is for topics relating to the excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2011, 07:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Excursion handling issues?

I just recently bought a 2005 Excursion, it now has 44000 miles on it. I just had all the motor work in my signature done. I think the motor is good, would like to get a powermax and inspectors, but first I got to do something.g about the handling done on this thing. It is downright scary on the interstate. I just got back from a 1600 mile trip and my hands hurt from gripping the wheel so hard. Whenever I hit a bump it is like the truck gets squirly from side to side, it is almost feels like pulling a trailer with heavy tail weight, but it was. with no trailer. I also noticed it some when coming around semi trucks. It doesn't have any lift, has brand new 285 cooper tires and the steering is tight. If it is this bad with no trailer I am scared to see what it will be like with any of my trailers.I bought this as mainly a tow vehicle for my 10,000 lb camper, my 30 ft boat and my car hauler trailer and carry the family. It is definitely not safe the way it is, after traveling through the hills in North Carolina and Tennessee, the handling on this thing is now priority one, somebody help please! I know handling on these is a known issue, I just don't know how to correct it. If anyone can tell me how to fix it, with a parts list, it would be greatly appreciated. As far as the motor, wow!, it runs good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2011, 03:29 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
We have helped hundreds cure the Excursion 4x4 handling problems..can also get you the Inj's and powermax..PM sent.

Cary
Old 09-29-2011, 06:15 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Cary have you seen the Kinderman set for Excursions rear suspension? It still uses factory springs with the rear of the springs attached to the air bag. I'm looking for a better ride with stock or near stock ride height.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:28 AM

Yep had one here that we modded, front was Kinderman's kit..total crap...the rear setup is ok..but I would just do our B code modded spring swap..will ride better but will lift the rear 2"
Old 09-29-2011, 07:22 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT Performance, Inc. View Post
Yep had one here that we modded, front was Kinderman's kit..total crap...the rear setup is ok..but I would just do our B code modded spring swap..will ride better but will lift the rear 2"
So in your opinion there are no full air suspensions out there that work good? Or do the ones for pickups work better then for Excursions do to their length?
Old 10-13-2011, 10:51 AM

Quote:
We have helped hundreds cure the Excursion 4x4 handling problems..can also get you the Inj's and powermax..PM sent.

Cary
Cary, could you send me the same info? My steering isn't very tight. I've learned to handle the rig quite smoothly, but it's crazy how ready if feels to roll over when you are at highers speeds.

Thanks!
Jason
Old 10-16-2011, 03:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Adding a 30mm sway bar to mine made a huge difference in overall handling/stability. My Ex did not even have one from the factory! I also want to add the roadmaster active suspension setup, have read lots of good things about it.
Old 10-16-2011, 06:53 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:

Cary
Taking Cary's advice made my Ex sooooo much better driving! Spring pack mods, new front springs, dual Bilsteins up front, sway bar in back, etc. Best mod I did on that truck!
Old 10-17-2011, 07:58 AM

I wouldn't waste $$ on the roadmaster...
Old 10-20-2011, 11:16 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

What is your opinion of the roadmaster?

One thing that I would like to keep is the ride height of the excursion because it actually fits into normal height garage doors. Is it possible to do f-series spring packs without raising it up?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.