help with injector removal - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Ford Excursion Discussion This forum is for topics relating to the excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2011, 11:04 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
help with injector removal

So I am going replace all of my injectors since the local Dealership diagnosed my poor running 04 Excursion. This is my first 6.0 major fix and cannot afford to have the dearship do the injectors. I am a pretty good mechanic and have a full shop even though it is a hobby and not my profession.

I've got the drivers side apart and have moved to the passengers side and am tired of staring at the last three valve cover bolts hidden away. Is there a secret to getting those suckers out? No room to work, no room for sockets and I am getting pissed just thinking about putting them back in even if I do get them out. I can't believe I need to take out all of the air conditioning crap to get to this side, but DO I? I'm hoping some of you more experienced 6.0 guys can steer me in the right direction and save me some time and aggravation.

I'm planning to put in a set of Warren Diesel 155's with 30% nozzles, a 4 in exhaust, EGR bypass and a set of guages. A custom tune as well and I am expecting my old strong running Excursion to be back in good form again. Anything I'm missing? or anything you more experienced 6.0 guys would recommend. I'd prefer not to learn all of this stuff the hard way.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2011, 01:25 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I use a gear wrench with a swivel head for those ones, and i will slide a 1/4" drive socket on the furthest one back. its a pia!!! Next time I do injectors I am going to pull the passenger side tire off, put it on a jack stand and pull the wheel well out. Then there is much easier access to the bottom row of valve cover bolts.
Old 08-26-2011, 01:27 PM

Look at my list of mods for a good strong Ex, get an Edge Insight it is a very valuable tool when trouble shooting problems. Also get the EAS EGT probe and the 0-100psi kit, fuel pressure is EXTREMELY important for a 6.0. Are you doing any fuel system upgrades for those 155's?
Old 08-27-2011, 04:10 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mod list

I did look over your mod list and will price out your stuff for my Excursion as well. I had not planned any fuel pressure mods as no one had mentioned it to me up to now. Do you like your MagnaFlow exhaust? Several others have mentioned a loud drone with some exhaust systems and I'm wondering how yours is, especially under load?

If you could start from scratch would you do anything different? I'm on a tight budget, but my Excursion is important to my family for hauling wood, hauling our 32 ft travel trailer and just generall getting around. I need a good running Excursion!

Thanks
Randy
Old 08-27-2011, 05:34 PM

Get the 6.4 banjos and the updated fuel pressure spring kit from ford, at the least. Then get a fuel pressure gauge or you could kill your injectors, $300 insurance vs the cost of another set of injectors. If your fuel pressure is still dipping below 45psi at full throttle, time to upgrade the fuel pump and maybe to a regulated return.

The magnaflow still had some drone pulling 10k in the mountains, I would say get any turbo back you like and throw on an aeroturbine muffler to kill the drone more. When I am just hauling the kids around the drone is almost unnoticeable.

If you can't afford a powermax turbo I would say get a batmowheel for your stock turbo to keep the egt's down when pulling that trailer.
Is your truck studded yet?

Sent from my iPod touch using Autoguide, so I can't see your sig.
Old 08-31-2011, 08:42 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckman View Post
If you can't afford a powermax turbo I would say get a batmowheel for your stock turbo to keep the egt's down when pulling that trailer.
Is your truck studded yet?
Get a what??
Old 09-04-2011, 12:58 AM

I would definently check fuel pressure or you may be replacing them again down the road. Low fuel pressure and dirty oil are typically what causes the injectors to go out.

Also im not sure if the ac box is different from the trucks but i took the side of the heater box off and had plenty of room to get everything done. Just take the heat shield loose and bend it out of the way and theres maybe 6 1/4" screws holding it on. Be patient it will come out with some fineese. haha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.