Excursion buying guide? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Ford Excursion Discussion This forum is for topics relating to the excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2011, 01:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Excursion buying guide?

Anyone know of an Excursion buying guide? Or some stuff to look for when buying one with a powerstroke? Thanks for all input in advance.

*edit*- Sorry for the short post, I'll add a little more info, wife wanted to give the kids a bath when I was in the middle of question.

I currently have an 05 Dodge 2500 QC with the Cummins. I love the truck, well mainly I love the Cummins but it is too small for my family. With 3 kids in car seats, the rear seat of the quad cab just will not work. We have a Yukon that works fine, but that is the wifes vehicle and I want one big enough for the family that will be my dd. I have heard a lot of mainly bad stuff about the excursion(gas mileage and so on), but that was the gas version. I want to know about the powerstroke version because that will be the one I buy if I can get one in my price range. So, any input will be helpful, I know if anyone knows you folks on here should know. Here are a few more questions:

1. What kind of fuel mileage should I expect stock?
2. Any mods that will improve the mileage?
3. What are the known issues? Like ball joints on 90's fords, from what friends that had them have said.
4. What year model/motor size should I look for?
5. Any "special" options I should look for? (120V outlets or stuff like that that wasn't on all trim packages, I don't know if that was an option or not, just saying)
6. Any "mods" that someone may have done that I should just walk away from?
7. Anything else ya'll can think of that would help.

Thanks again for all help!

Last edited by FiremanDan; 08-21-2011 at 02:50 PM. Reason: Added content.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2011, 08:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Anyone, anyone, anyone...Bueller?

Surely someone has something good to say about the Excursion!
Old 08-22-2011, 12:46 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Well first the stock suspension just sucks so plan on upgrading..hundreds of posts on our mods for the Excursion..or take a look at mine as I'm gona sell it..Everything's done..'04 EB with all the options.
Old 08-22-2011, 04:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Your post kinda skeers me! I dont want to have to spend any extra money on one if I buy one. Making me second think about getting one. I better do some more research on them. I just figured they would have worked all the kinks out by 04-05. Hmm, I'll be spending a lot more time on here I reckon. I drove one today, it had a little lift and some BD stuff on it. It seemed to have decent getty-up, but every bump you hit the front end would shimmy. I have no experience with lifted vehicles. The salesman said that was because it was lifted. There was a distinct "bump" around the middle of the X when you went over a bump as well. I really liked the size of the interior, felt like a school bus! The wife liked the size too since she will be driving it some. I just felt a little uncomfortable with the bumps and shimmys. Is that normal for a lifted(4-6")? It was hard to get any real info since it was at a car lot. Thanks again!
Old 08-22-2011, 05:02 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Don't let CaryT scare you. He is the resident expert, pretty much, when it comes to the X and its suspension. He has spent a lot of time and money figuring out how to make the X handle like a dream. With that said, what some of the mods can be dont slowly as to not break the bank. I have an 04, in sig, that is not quite how I want it yet, but is still a very reliable vehicle that I tow with regularly. The bump you felt could have been sway bar links, bushings, shocks, etc. I have no experience with lifted vehicles either, but those are the usual suspects for that. You also need to take into account how many miles are on a used vehicle, are those suspect parts nearing the end of their life, etc.

Personnaly I would be more concerned with how the engine is, and the drive train. The suspension can be done at your liesure. If you can find an X with a 7.3 that is not run into the ground, great. If you are looking at a 6.0, you need to educate yourself on some of the engines shortfalls, and more importantly how to correct or overcome those issues. I bought my X with 99,000 on her and just turned 127,000. I have replaced the ball joints, shocks, rotors, brakes, FICM, ICP sensor, alternator, batteries, EGR delete, and a couple other odds and ends. While this looks like a lot in 2 years, I expected it with a 3/4 ton truck with 100,000 miles. What I am getting at is know what you are getting yourself into with any used vehicle, and any known issues that a particular power plant might have.

I love my Excursion, keep it well maintained, and she takes care of me when I need her. Hope this helps some. If you have any more specific, just ask. There are a lot of very helpful people on the ORG.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thanks Heathrm for the great info! Thats what I was thinking on the nearing the end of life stuff. I'm sure that stuff can get expensive, fast.

This one that I drove has 137000 on it, felt pretty strong for as large a vehicle as it is. Trans felt like it had a shift kit in it, I figure that was the bullydog stuff. It had a cold air intake kit and air bags on the rear. It just felt really loose when hitting small bumps on the road. The salesman said I could take it to a mech for a checkout if I wanted to. I always do that anyway. I need to drive a few more and see how they feel.

I was hoping some things just needed to be tightened a little, easy stuff cuz it really is a good looking truck.

Thanks again for all the info!
Old 08-23-2011, 09:21 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I was in the same boat as you. Sold my 06 cummins and bought the X. I had two dodges a 00' & 06'. In ten years of owning them both, just routine maint. items and couldn't ask for better trucks. I bought my X with 68K miles on it and so far it is just fine. I have spent the last two months working on it pretty steady getting it the way I want it and doing all the mods so that I feel that it is road worthy. Once you take care of the 6.0L vulnerabilities (if you get the 6.0L) these trucks are great. I have a family of seven and it is great to pile all in the X and everyone has all the room they need. Plus your can fill the back up on trips and pull anyhting you want with you. As far as the suspension there is a big difference between the coil spring dodge suspension and the leaf spring of the ford. Completely two different rides but you will get used to the leaf sring ride. Plus you can always upgrade! Hope this helps.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:00 AM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Sorry ..didn't mean to give you the wrong impression..but these trucks as built do need help.
Some lifted trucks will drive symilar to the one you drove as some lift kits are poorly designed, use inferior materials and can be installed incorrectly. This isn't the case with the mods I suggest for the Excursion as hundreds of happy owners have posted.
Old 08-23-2011, 05:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thanks wngnut for the advice! I really love my truck, but need more room in the back seat.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 08-23-2011, 06:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT Performance, Inc. View Post
Sorry ..didn't mean to give you the wrong impression..but these trucks as built do need help.
Some lifted trucks will drive symilar to the one you drove as some lift kits are poorly designed, use inferior materials and can be installed incorrectly. This isn't the case with the mods I suggest for the Excursion as hundreds of happy owners have posted.
There don't seem to be many excursions for sale around me. Is there a particular year that is better than any other? I would like the 6.0, the wife wouldn't like how loud the 7.3 is and she will be driving it at least half of the time. I know that isn't the best reason, but it is what it is. Ideally, if one came with all the side airbags and car seat hooks would be better for all the kiddos. Is their a price range I should look for? Or will NADA.com do fine? Thanks again for all the input.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.