Exhaust - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Ford Excursion Discussion This forum is for topics relating to the excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2011, 05:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exhaust

I'm interested in getting an aftermarket exhaust for my Excursion, but I've heard about some talking about drone. I'm also not trying to necessarily have a real load exhaust as this is also the family mobile and not a race truck. Who has what, do you like your exhaust, what would you change, hints or tips, etc.

Doug
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2011, 12:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

No one has an aftermarket exhaust on their Excursion?
Old 06-09-2011, 01:06 PM
The Silent Service

Should be plenty of them, most just post exhaust in the General 6.0L threads though.

You'd be safe with any of the stainless 4" turbo-back systems out there. There is a diesel Ex on the base with a 5" and its a little loud for most folks taste.
Old 06-09-2011, 04:07 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I have a magnaflow turbo back with a muffler and the drone is not that bad at all...well until I really get into my looney tune then you can really hear it in the cab.
Old 06-09-2011, 04:51 PM

4'' MBRP it's only loud when you gas on it.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:06 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

New guy here, but I'm in the same boat. My rig is the family weekend ride. It's a 2005 6.0X. I'm planning on running the Magnaflow turbo back with the 3.5" downpipe, replacing the cat with an aero turbine muffler. From what I've researched the areo turbine will act like a resonator and I'm hoping not to have any drone inside.

Should be a good setup.
Old 06-11-2011, 11:25 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Jaegers View Post
New guy here, but I'm in the same boat. My rig is the family weekend ride. It's a 2005 6.0X. I'm planning on running the Magnaflow turbo back with the 3.5" downpipe, replacing the cat with an aero turbine muffler. From what I've researched the areo turbine will act like a resonator and I'm hoping not to have any drone inside.

Should be a good setup.
pm has been sent.
Old 06-12-2011, 04:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I just put on the mbrp turbo back with muffler and cat delete....no drone...like stated above..it is loud if you put it to the floor... that's it....and honestly it is not that loud then...my jeep srt 8 with a zoomers cat back is 10x louder then this truck....
Old 07-02-2011, 04:22 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I did a Silverline turbo back exhaust and I love it. I will admit there is a small amount of drone in any system...mine included, but you really get used to it and its not that bad. I am positive my factory system droned more and at a lower rpm(read: more often) than my aftermarket one does.

I HAVE heard good things about the aeroturbine muffler added to a 4" system. I was also thinking about a system and adding a high flow spun cat to see what that does. Modern cat technology can really work and does not slow exhaust gasses at all...if anything it smooths out the flow and helps scavenge the heads a bit.

In my not so humble opinion, some people are super-sensitive (ie most people that hate aftermarket upgrades) and they cannot handle the aftermarket systems. Figure out who those people are and ignore them as they will always tell you not to do this or not to do that.
Old 07-15-2011, 03:49 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Thought I would throw in an update.
The magnaflow TB I have has a nasty drone in the cab at 2100rpm when I am pulling my 10k travel trailer up hills. I either have to step on it more to downshift or let off to make it stop, I usually give her some throttle. I will be trying an aeroturbine just off of the down pipe to see of I can get it better in the cab.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.