Oil Cooler in trouble? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Ford Excursion Discussion This forum is for topics relating to the excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2011, 10:07 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Oil Cooler in trouble?

I've been reading and searching the threads for information and tips on my 2005 6.0L. I know last year I got the CEL and took it to Advanced Auto to read the code, said EGR Cooler, and then I drove another 2 blocks to Ford to have this repaired under warranty. From what I can tell they only fixed the EGR Cooler. Should they have replaced or flushed the Oil Cooler at the same time? In my searches I thought I saw someone post that Ford issued a TSB indicating something like this was to be done when repairing the EGR Cooler. I just pulled my EGR Valve to clean it and it was dry but pretty coked up. I've got another 10,000miles on my extended warranty so I want to make sure something like this doesn't slip past and then I have to pay. Truck also still has the stock head bolts and gaskets. 107,000 miles on it. Any thoughts? Anything I can check to make sure the work that was supposed to be done was performed? I have a call in to the dealer to get the Maint. records.

Joe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2011, 11:18 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

The bottom line with all 6.0's is that you need a way to accurately monitor your coolant (ECT) and oil (EOT) temperatures. I bought an Edge Insight like a lot of other folks on here. If the EOT is running 15* (or more) higher than the ECT, you have a clogged oil cooler and it's a matter of time before your new EGR cooler fails (especially if it's the OEM replacement), possibly taking out your head gaskets with it.
Old 05-16-2011, 01:51 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
If your dealer will install ARP's, I would try to blow the head gaskets up before the warranty is up.

First get a coolant filtration kit and install it, ford will not void your warranty over that. Get an Edge Insight to monitor your truck. Then after the warranty is gone do a full flush and switch to a Cat EC-1 rated coolant.
Old 05-16-2011, 02:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I just got off the phone with the dealer. He looked it up and they cleaned and reinstalled the EGR Valve, replaced the EGR cooler and Oil cooler per TSB 090803. I have about 10,000 miles on the truck since then. The truck is mainly driven by my wife about 10 miles round trip each day to work and back. I tow a 10,000lbs trailer about 8 times per year 200miles round trip. Not sure that will pop the gaskets but who knows. Is there any other way to test if the gaskets are starting to fail? If so my neighbor is a X-CAT mechanic who could help me test it. Then I might get the gaskets and studs done for free under warranty before they cause any major trouble. From the reading I've done it seems like the trucks will run for awhile with gasket issues but not through any codes?
Old 05-17-2011, 07:40 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Test for exhaust gasses in the degass bottle. If present either the egr cooler is ruptured or your head gaskets are bad.

Running a Powerstroke 5 miles to work and shutting it off and repeating to come home is brutal especially for a diesel. It doesn't give it time to warm up properly.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I'm not sure how to test for Exhaust Gases in the degass bottle but my neighbor might. Thanks for the tip. I still need gauges so I can keep an eye on things.

I know the short trip for my wife is not great for the truck but I do try to run out a few minutes before she leaves in the AM and start the truck so it can warm up a little. I need a 3rd Car but can't afford one yet. If I let her drive the '03 Cobra (my daily driver)she'll get tired of the pain it is to squeeze our two girls in the backseat on carseats and that's a discussion I'm trying to avoid

Joe
Old 06-13-2011, 09:17 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I tracked down the OASIS warranty reports on my truck and found that when they replaced the EGR Cooler and the Oil Cooler the Tech noted that the manifold looked wet. Also there is a note from Ford that says before changing 6.0L headgaskets refer to TSB 09-08-03. I'm assuming that tells them to change the EGR & Oil cooler first and not the gaskets and studs? The previous owner had Stalling problems while driving. Ford cleaned the EGR valve. The second time the Replaced the Injection Pressure Regulator. The third time they couldn't restart the truck and it appears that they stated a High pressure leak and replaced the CAC tubes? The notes are cut off. After this it appears that the Turbo threw another CEL and they replaced the CHRA? Then they seem to have found a major oil leak traced back to the hot side turbo and rebuilt or replaced the CAC tubes and hot side of the turbo.

If the Headgaskets and bolts were ever replaced, wouldn't that be on the Oasis report? With the information presented here, do you think I have a good arguement with my dealer to get them to do the gaskets and Studs (ARP) under the extended warranty?

Your input would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the novel.

Joe
Old 07-18-2011, 12:22 PM

Check with your CAT mechanic to see if the NAPA test fluid will work. Find a spare pressure cap and pipe up a hose to a container with the test fluid. If you have combustion products entering the coolant via a head gasket leak, you get a color change with the test fluid. My internet research indicates that one challenge with the 6.0 head gasket failure is that the gaskets may not leak at low boost pressures especially if you are not experiencing a sever leak. Another test method I saw was to "Tee" a pressure gauge into the small rubber hose on the coolant storage tank. Expected coolant pressure is <5#. When you load the engine, you will see the tank pressure climb up to a max of approx. 15# (relief pressure of fill cap) if your head gaskets are leaking. Good luck with the diagnostics. I just bought my first Ford PSD (2005 Excursion) and I too am working through recommended diagnostics for the +100K miles engine.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:15 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Diesel Dave,

Thanks for the info, I'm going to give this a try. I'll be doing another heavy tow in the middle of August so that would seem to be a good time to check it again.

Joe
Old 07-25-2011, 08:43 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Has anyone heard of using Dawn Dish Soap to test for Head Gasket leaks? If so, can you describe the process?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.