Excursion Mods - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Ford Excursion Discussion This forum is for topics relating to the excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2011, 04:15 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Excursion Mods

Hi,
I've been trolling around for a while now and never really posted. Lots of great info. I have an 04 Eddie Bauer Excursion 6.0L with a 4in procomp lift and 35in toyo mt's. I have done the arp studs, head gaskets, 4in exhaust, egr delete, sct tuner w/ innovative extreme race tune, airdog 2, and warn premium hubs.

I have been looking at getting some isspro gauges. Is anyone running the 4 gauge pillar? I would like to get the pyro, boost, fuel pressure, and trans temp gauges. Is the factory trans temp on the dash any good? I was considering doing three without the isspro trans gauge if the one in the dash is sufficient.

Also, what else should I do now? Powermax turbo? 175cc injectors?

With a modified truck like this, how do you figure out how much you can tow now? Stock was like 10,000 or so. Will it be less with the lift and tires? What about 175cc injectors? Will I keep the same towing capacity. I just want to be able to tow a 8,000lb-10,000lb travel trailer without breaking the truck. Also, it would be on the innovative tow tune.

Last, any excursions with cab lights? Is it the same install as the rest of the superduty's?

Thanks,
James
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2011, 09:59 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
The stock trans temp guage is not very accurate, so go with the 4 pod. I use an Edge Insight CS for my gauges and love it, as i can track so much more than just 4 things.

I have a powermax and it has lowered my egt's pretty good, empty I haven't seen over 1050 and I drive it hard at times! From what you have said I would not go over 155's with the powermax, to keep your egt's in check.
I have a friend that towed a big trailer with 35's and 4" lift, his only complaint was increased tire wear towing. Get a rear sway bad if you don't already have one.
There was a post here (Excursion section) about an Ex with Recon cab lights, it looked very sharp! You will have to go back through the pages and find it or try searching.

Welcome to the org!
Old 05-14-2011, 11:25 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Is it really worth the extra cash to have a fuel pressure gauge in cab?

Tuckman,
-How do you like the 58v FICM? What does this do for you?
-What all do you normally track on your Insight?

Thanks,
James
Old 05-14-2011, 12:31 PM

If your fuel pressure is too low you will start going through injectors fast. I am trying to decide if I want an analog gauge or the EAS attachment for my Insight. Either way I am going to be tracking my fuel pressure.

Swamp's Webstore - Heavy Duty rebuilt 58v FICM for 6.0L Power Stroke
I have a heavy inductive heat/mild performance strategy from PHP loaded on to my ficm. The heavy inductive heat helps in cold start situation, I can start my Ex easily in -35C weather without it being plugged in. If you don't have very cold winters you really don't need the heat.

On my Insight I generally use the 4 display EOT, ECT, EGT and boost or trans temp. On the 8 display I also track the high pressure oil system IPR voltage and injection control pressure. Some days I look at ficm voltage, vgt duty cycle and battery voltage just to name a few more. It pulls up soft codes, the codes that come up even without a CEL. It is a very valuable tool to have.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:34 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Did the 58v FICM help with power any. I'm about to order one from Viv at Quick Tricks.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWilbur516 View Post
Did the 58v FICM help with power any. I'm about to order one from Viv at Quick Tricks.
My Swamps 58v added some noticeable power when the truck was stock, once tuned it is harder to notice the gains but the throttle response is much better, either way.

I have not tried my 58v ficm form Quick Tricks, but it is ready as a back up. I may try it out in the coming weeks just to see how it is.
Old 05-19-2011, 02:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Thanks Tuckman. I have dealt with Quick Tricks and really like the company. I actually called Viv to ask if the Swamps FICM would have any negative affect on the tunes she wrote for me. Thats when she told me about her FICM's. Her price is great and I really trust her company. I'm gonna buy her FICM, but would be buying from Swamps had I not found out that she rebuilds and upgrades to 58v. I do wish I could talk to someone who has run one of hers.
Old 05-25-2011, 07:32 PM

The 58v ficm shouldn't increase your power unless its tuned, helps to keep your volts up(injectors happy) and startups. You can get a tune for the ficm from a vendor, where you will see an increase in throttle response.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.