15qts and I'm still low on the stick? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Ford Excursion Discussion This forum is for topics relating to the excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2011, 08:56 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
15qts and I'm still low on the stick?

Thanks for all of the helpful information on this forum. I've been able to tackle several projects on my X based mostly on the info I've found online here (FICM). I decided to start doing my oil changes and fuel filter changes myself and it was a breeze.

One issue is that now that I've changed my oil with exactly 15qts, I'm showing low on the dipstick. Right on the word low actually. I've read plenty on here about how it's not good to overfill the 6.0L.
Is there any chance that my dipstick is reading that far the wrong way? Since I changed my oil while it was fairly hot and also on my sloped driveway could some of the HPOP oil drained out as well? ( checked the oil on flat ground after a test drive)

The fuel filter on the frame rail was crazy tight coming off and back on, is that normal? So far no leaks.

Joe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2011, 09:04 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
15 qts is it all it takes. Are you fully seating the dipstick when you check your oil?
Old 05-02-2011, 09:12 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Dave,

I checked that last night and it was fully seated. I drove only about .5 mile for the test drive and let it sit about 1hr before checking it. Just to be sure, I ran downstairs and checked again here at work (25 mile interstate drive) and now I'm showing at the M on Max??? I've been changing my own oil in my gas cars and trucks for years so this is a new one on me. Does it take longer for the oil to drain back to the pan in a diesel maybe?

Joe
Old 05-02-2011, 09:26 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenoit28 View Post
Dave,

I checked that last night and it was fully seated. I drove only about .5 mile for the test drive and let it sit about 1hr before checking it. Just to be sure, I ran downstairs and checked again here at work (25 mile interstate drive) and now I'm showing at the M on Max??? I've been changing my own oil in my gas cars and trucks for years so this is a new one on me. Does it take longer for the oil to drain back to the pan in a diesel maybe?

Joe
Yes it does. Theres alot more for the oil to go through in a powerstroke than there is in a gasser
Old 05-03-2011, 07:18 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Any thoughts on adding Prolong Engine Treatment? I'm running Rotella T 15W40 and live in Florida where it's Hot more than it's Not.

Joe
Old 05-03-2011, 07:38 AM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
On my truck I run Shell Rotella T6 Full Sytnthetic (on sale for $22/gal at Discount autoparts. I also run some RevX once in a but for smooth running for our two cool months in FL. I am familiar with Zmax and its ok stuff but prolong is pretty dang old technology...I would not use it, but what do you other guys think?
Old 05-03-2011, 08:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Dang, I didn't see the Synthetic for $22/gal. That is a pretty good deal. I'm assuming the T6 is pretty good stuff like the Rotella T is for Dino oil. I'm curious about the oil additives since I've heard not to add anything that could thicken the oil as it can mess with the injectors...but I'm a novice on this stuff for Diesels.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:48 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Any opinion on the best place to get the Motorcraft Oil Filter and Fuel Filters? My dealer charged $24 for the Oil Filter and $69.50 for the Fuel Filter. Or is this about normal pricing for these items?
Old 05-06-2011, 08:15 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Oh! Walmart has rotella t6 for $20.50/gal!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.