Second Head Gasket in 5 Months! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Ford Excursion Discussion This forum is for topics relating to the excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2011, 01:17 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Second Head Gasket in 5 Months!

Ok this is the mini saga as all Excursion repair seems to be!

Last year(November) I had a Oil cooler failure, EGR failure and every other kind of failure in my truck. I was still under my Ford ESP warranty and they covered the reapirs and the STC fix and VC-9 flush. They then did a head gasket right before Thanksgiving. I had the repair guy put in ARP studs and the FCDP EGR delete system and I had FCDP put in their bypass coolant filter.

I then proceeded to buy Innovative's Extreme Race, Extreme Street, and Tow tunes. I rarely punch it and only when I am going to hit an on ramp or something. I usually lift before too long and I have never pegged 1150 even on my properly-installed set of isspro gauges(Diesel Manor and CaryT).

I added the standard gauge package and THEN I found out that the stardard gauges do very little to tell you of head gasket or oil cooler failures! DANG! I had only driven the truck about 1000 miles after the repair when I woke up one morning to take it to work and the truck spit out while smoke and sputtered for about 20 min...then it cleared up and drove somewhat fine but with a bit of power loss.

I had no other white smoke so I kinda guessed it was ok...until I noticed my coolant level dropping again and the coolant was very dark. I saw that during a loner road trip(thre hours) coolant had puked all over the engine compartment. I added coolant and replaced the coolant filter and noticed a TON of nasty Brown SLIME in my filter.

I got fed up with not knowing where my coolant level was and bought a new coolant degas bottle($65 at dealer and it looks soo much better). I marked the coolant level and watched...and the coolant kept dropping! I was still puking(And yes the new bottle CAME with the newer coolant level markings) and I then bought another coolant degas cover thingy($7 oh! and why cant that come WITH the degas bottle?) and yes, still puking!!!

Took it to my local stealership and they immediately said it ws my head gaskets and proceeded to lift the body and start working. I aske if I could take the heads down to a machine shop for decking and pressure testing, etc... they agreed so I drove and hour with the heads to a reputable shop. I got word yesterday that the heads had major issues:

Head #1 had mis-shapen hole in the glow plug opening...I guess it could not be fixed and a replacement is needed.

Head #2 had two bent intake valves and was also warped. All the valve guides on the instake side seem to be severely worn. This head could be rebuilt and repaired.

The shop said for the head replacement and repair $1150! I connected him with the Ford service guy and they talked and the Ford guys want me to bring the heads back to report to Ford so Ford can cover them under my warranty(ran out now but I guess it is still covered since the repair before). The machine shop says that the reason it blew the second time is probably that weird glow plug hole(damaged hole).

So I hope Ford gets this right...I tuned and studded and deleted but I have NOT been driving in the least irresponsibly and I only travel with my kids in the vehicle! I did the mods for longevity not raw power...thus tow tune 24/7!

I was wondering if you guys think this is a defect and if it is...should I take any new heads from Ford back to the machine shop to have them checked before I let them replace them? I'd really like this to be te last head gasket repair in the truck.

Has anyone had this problem? Thanks for reading my SAGA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2011, 07:40 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Are you still covered by the warranty and if so for how much longer?
Old 05-02-2011, 07:49 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
sounds like they should have gone to the shop the first time. Hopefully they will cover this for you.
Old 05-02-2011, 03:08 PM

Still waiting to hear from dealer, but I havent run any crazy tunes...other than tune for Tires and Wheels so tranny shifts right. I hope it works out. Not sure when waaranty period is up but I'll try and check.

I bought some Rotella T6 for when this ordeal is over and some assembly lube(ARP) for reassembly. Hoping those head gaskets NEVER cause problems...but looks like a factory weakness in one of the heads I had.

I'll keep you guys informed, btw where do I get Cat EL Coolant online?
Old 05-06-2011, 08:26 PM

Just got truck back and Ford stepped up to the plate and paid $12,000 for a major fix! I got two new heads, oil cooler, hpop, fuel filters, oil filter, oil change, coolant flush and fill, light spray and wash of engine compartment, thermostat, I even got to help my mechanic and clean up all the parts that were taken out and went back on my beast...removing six years of road grime!

Truck runs great and is smoother than ever! I am scared to push it right now, I've got a 5500 mile road trip starting in two weeks...any suggestions for trip prep folks?

Here's a question:

How often do you guys have truck aligned?

How do you adjust fog light aim?

Thanks!
Old 05-07-2011, 03:47 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
when I buy new tires I have truck aligned and with new sct looks like it will be more frequent. Unless of course your tires are wearing funny (front end work needed).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.