Excursion greatest hits! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Ford Excursion Discussion This forum is for topics relating to the excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2011, 03:58 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Excursion greatest hits!

I just purchased a used 05 Excursion with the 6.0 diesel. (114k miles) I want to do an EGR delete kit but need some direction as to what to do with the EGR valve. Block it off? Block it off and leave it connected but just sitting in the valley? Leave it installed and hooked up? Weld it closed and leave it installed? What will happen with my check engine light? If the light stays off, am I in some kind of "limp" mode with reduced boost? Do I need a tuner to clear the light? Which one? Special "tunes"?

Yall think there is a difference in the delete kits? Big price difference but look mostly the same. Looking @ this guy EGR Delete Kit | Ford 6.0 Liter EGR Delete. Anybody used one of these?

I'm not looking to gain any HP or Tq, just looking to have a reliable truck with no check engine light. Going to be a daily driver with a few RV pulls a year and a cross-country RV pull once every four years when the Coast Guard tells me to transfer. (6k RV) I live in Oregon and the mountains about killed 5.3 Chevy Tahoe.

Prob going to get same gauges to see what is going on. You guys recommend a digital Edge type or some old school analog gauges? $ is a factor and looking for the best bang for the buck.

Have you guys herd of head bolt/gasket failures after EGR delete on trucks that arent being pushed too hard?

Suspension: I use a weight distribution hitch with my RV. Think I need air bags or Roadmaster thing? Sway bar upgrade?

Give me your opinions and experiences. The best mistake to learn from is one made by someone else!

New guy to the site so take it easy on me if Im breaking some protocol on asking too many questions.

Dave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2011, 05:21 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

im going to bump this for you bro...

Im a newb too....

SUBSCRIBED!
Old 03-11-2011, 09:21 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
For starters, there are numerous ways that you can delete the EGR, you need to determine if you want it to have the factory appearance or not. What type of state inspection do you have to go through? That might be a deciding factor on which type of delete you go with.

I do recommend changing out the rear sway bar. I have an 04 X and it came with the 23 mm sway bar. I don't know if the 05 came with the same one or the improved 30 mm bar. I also installed the RideRite airbags to help when towing my RV (32' tow camper 8000lbs), and it does help with squatting.

Guages, I have the Edge CTS and love it. I have had no problems with it since I got it. Mine is the evolution programmer, but it will never be used for that. It is always in stock tune, as I do not want any HP increase but reliability. I bought mine when the evolution CTS just came out and you can get the Insight for much less. The only problem you will run into is that with an 05 you will need an sct to disable the CEL for the EGR. I don't have that issue with my 04.

Hopefully this helps, let me know if you have any other concerns.
Old 03-12-2011, 04:07 PM

I got my EGR delete from MKM customs (a site sponsor), I also purchased a coolant filtration kit from them. I would recommend you flush your cooling system and use a Cat EC-1 rated ELC (extended life coolant), then get the filter kit from them. With the EGR delete kit of any type you will need a SCT or an Edge Evolution tuned by PHP, to get rid of the cel. An egr delete is a must with a 6.0 or a bulletproof egr cooler.
As for your question about head gaskets going after egr delete, it just happened to me. Either stud it now or save some $$$ to do them later.

As for gauges you I say get an Edge Insight or Edge Evolution/PHP Gryphon tuner that displays all the pid's the Insight does. Either way gauges are a must especially if you are towing.

Also if you are towing a bigger sway bar is a must but most importantly the suspension mods suggested my caryt are the most beneficial for your Ex if you do any towing in the mountains. You will get about a 2.5"-3" lift but a superior riding Ex.

I am getting a Powermax turbo for mine to help the mountain towing. I also would recommend a Swamps 58 volt FICM when yours does take a crap.

Just keep asking questions, lots of us have been there and can help you.
Old 03-12-2011, 04:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I too am in Oregon and will be towing our 7000 lb trailer over your way next week. I'm not sure about your delete question since I have not had that done but I do have experience with the head gasket issue. I bought my 2004 Ex with 99,000 miles in '08 and it had never been used as a tow vehicle. It had a very clean oasis report with only an egr valve replacement early in its' life. I used it mainly for daily driving with a few trips towing with our trailer each year. Last August I took it in for maintenance (oil change, coolant and transmission flush) and they said that they discovered coolant residue around the degas bottle. They performed there tests and said that it needed head gaskets as well an oil and egr cooler. Luckily I had purchased the Ford Diesel Care warranty when I purchased the truck so there was no money out of my pocket but it goes to prove that these problems can happen at anytime. The truck was well maintained by the previous owner and I also changed fluids on schedule and I was not hard on the truck at all. I also have an Edge Insight and I did not see the 15 degree temp spread driving unloaded but did see it up to 20 degrees when some of the steep mountain passes. I now watch the gage closely but have not had any issues since the repairs were made. I'm still not 100% convinced that the head gaskets were blown but they replaced them under warranty and I took the opportunity to have them install studs at that time. For suspension upgrades, I installed RAS on the rear along with a Helwig sway bar and Bilstein shocks. I have no issues with this setup using a WD hitch.
Old 03-13-2011, 02:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Good stuff guys, thanks for the info. It seems like everybody is on the same page for the most part. It looks like an EGR delete, SCT tuner and edge insight to start for me.

Who does the best tune of the SCT? Again not looking for HP/TQ but for CEL due to EGR delete and any codes that do not cause the CEL.

Can the studs be done without lifting the cab?

Towing mods will have to wait until I get some real miles towing and discover the shortcomings.

Keep the info coming. Thanks a ton for the info!
Old 03-13-2011, 03:06 PM

You can do the heads without taking off the cab but it is a pretty big undertaking, many have done it. Here is a very good write up, if it was not -30C here I would have tackled the job.
Catalina Wine Mixer or how a below-average diesel mechanic poser can successfully p

I have tried tunes from Innovative and Quick Tricks, they are both good and have great customer service. I would say get a tow tune to help your Ex out when towing and for better fuel economy on the highway a street tune.
Old 03-13-2011, 03:23 PM

so can u just shut the egr off without doing a delete? like with sct?
Old 03-13-2011, 04:17 PM

No, you need to either do a delete or block off the cooler somehow. on an 05 and newer you need an SCT to turn off the CEL from staying illuminated.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:24 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I installed the RAS like ocboat but with stock shocks (saving for upgraded shocks soon) and stock sway bar. Tow just shy of 10,000lbs with WD hitch just fine. No hills and mostly low wind here in Florida though. Also have the Swamps Diesel FICM (stock model)

I did a test drive with a Ford Diesel Mechanic last year after they replaced the EGR cooler under warranty. He told me on the 05's they mostly fixed the headbolt issue and also that after 100,000 miles it would have already failed the gasket if it was going to (on a stock truck). Anyone heard this before?

What does it typically cost to have ARP's installed by a shop if your bolts and gasket go out?

Is there any benefit to keeping the EGR cooler (bullet proof one) over the block off plate if your truck will remain mostly stock and mainly a tow rig?

What does it typically cost to have ARP's installed by a shop if your bolts and gasket go out?

Banks IQ vs Edge Evolution CTS? Just to mainly monitor gauges?

Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
airbags, delete, egr, towing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.