6.0 Excursion - No heat, HELP?! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Ford Excursion Discussion This forum is for topics relating to the excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2011, 12:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 Excursion - No heat, HELP?!

I work for a ford dealer, and were working on a customers excursion.

Its got a 6.0L and the original complaint from the customer was the rear heat was not working correctly.

After pulling it apart, inspecting the doors & motors in the air box all seemed okay, we replaced the heater core and did a thorough flush.

Result: Still no heat

We checked for any stoppage in the hoses and replaced the restrictor in the hose.

The coolant valve is functioning properly also.

Now that we replaced the restrictor, the front heat seems to be not as great either.

When your driving down the interstate it produces almost no heat, if your around town driving and the RPM's are high it does get warm and will heat the cab okay.

We replaced the control head (even though the blend doors and actuators seem to be working properly.)

-no air pockets (thoroughly bled)
-doors and actuators are working properly
-no blockage in coolant lines
- new heater core
-new control head
-blower motor works fine

The idea of blown head gaskets have been discussed (creating air pockets causing no heat) but I wanted to ask the guys at powerstroke forum for help.

Help getting the customers PS back to them and keep them warm in this chilling weather!

Thanks for any help in advance guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2011, 12:26 PM
Mod Newbie

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by il_duramax View Post
I work for a ford dealer, and were working on a customers excursion.

Its got a 6.0L and the original complaint from the customer was the rear heat was not working correctly.

After pulling it apart, inspecting the doors & motors in the air box all seemed okay, we replaced the heater core and did a thorough flush.

Result: Still no heat

We checked for any stoppage in the hoses and replaced the restrictor in the hose.

The coolant valve is functioning properly also.

Now that we replaced the restrictor, the front heat seems to be not as great either.

When your driving down the interstate it produces almost no heat, if your around town driving and the RPM's are high it does get warm and will heat the cab okay.

We replaced the control head (even though the blend doors and actuators seem to be working properly.)

-no air pockets (thoroughly bled)
-doors and actuators are working properly
-no blockage in coolant lines
- new heater core
-new control head
-blower motor works fine

The idea of blown head gaskets have been discussed (creating air pockets causing no heat) but I wanted to ask the guys at powerstroke forum for help.

Help getting the customers PS back to them and keep them warm in this chilling weather!

Thanks for any help in advance guys.
Hook the WDS scan tool to it and monitor your EOT and ECT values while driving down the road at full operating temp. If there is more than a 15* temp. difference between the two, you have a restricted oil cooler which in turn has probably ruptured the EGR cooler causing a no heat issue.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ill give that a shot tommorow, wouldnt I have coolant spewing out the exhaust if the EGR Cooler was ruptured?
Old 02-08-2011, 12:47 PM
Mod Newbie

Quote:
Ill give that a shot tommorow, wouldnt I have coolant spewing out the exhaust if the EGR Cooler was ruptured?
You could if it has completely blown. If the oil cooler has become restricted recently, it may have not damaged the EGR cooler yet. After you fix the problem, the best thing you can do for that 6.0 is get that Ford Gold coolant out and replace it with an ELC (Extended Life Coolant) that has an EC-1 rating. The gold coolant has silicates that gum up the oil cooler and cause the restriction. You have to flush it completely and then reflush with a gallon of Restore and then reflush it with Restore+ before flushing it with distilled water and then adding the ELC. It's a long process but well worth it. Is there any white residue around the degas bottle cap?
Old 02-08-2011, 12:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

No white residue that I could remember, it has been flushed a few times now prior to this, and I dont remember seeing any either.

Ill let you know sometime tommorow what the readings are.

Oh, by the way only mods to the truck are Bully Dog programmer, air intake system, and exhaust... not that any of that matters though.
Old 02-08-2011, 01:01 PM
Mod Newbie

Quote:
No white residue that I could remember, it has been flushed a few times now prior to this, and I dont remember seeing any either.

Ill let you know sometime tommorow what the readings are.

Oh, by the way only mods to the truck are Bully Dog programmer, air intake system, and exhaust... not that any of that matters though.
Bully Dog isn't the best option for the 6.0's. If they run it on a pretty low setting it might be ok. I blew mine at 50k running a Banks 6 Gun
Old 02-08-2011, 01:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Fortunately this isnt my vehicle, its a customers.
Old 02-08-2011, 01:29 PM
Mod Newbie

Quote:
Fortunately this isnt my vehicle, its a customers.
Yeah, I know it is but you might wanna mention it to them.
Old 02-10-2011, 05:19 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

EOT & ECT readings came back normal, less than 15* temp differance.

Customer also requested a new thermostat yesterday so we installed that... and of course, that didnt fix the problem.

Any other idea's?
Old 02-10-2011, 05:22 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Pressure test the cooling system
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.