Got an Ex, now what? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Ford Excursion Discussion This forum is for topics relating to the excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2011, 08:45 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Got an Ex, now what?

Picked up an 03 w. 173K on the clock. pretty good shape, for the miles.

Been reading for a while about 6.0 mods. I came from a Dodge 5.9 (albeit several years ago). So I have a general idea about diesel tech, but wonder what specific things I need to pay immediate attention to with this 6.0.

It appears un-molested, no evidence of a programmer etc.

What are the most important mods to keep this thing running good before I get to things like exhaust, intake, programmers etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2011, 07:00 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeplj8 View Post
Picked up an 03 w. 173K on the clock. pretty good shape, for the miles.

Been reading for a while about 6.0 mods. I came from a Dodge 5.9 (albeit several years ago). So I have a general idea about diesel tech, but wonder what specific things I need to pay immediate attention to with this 6.0.

It appears un-molested, no evidence of a programmer etc.

What are the most important mods to keep this thing running good before I get to things like exhaust, intake, programmers etc?
I just bought a 05 X/6.0 and had two bad injectors on the left bank, replaced all 4 and the fuel pump. Then it started stalling when I hit the brakes, which FORD should've fixed for free due to liability...anyway, it was the STC fittings/orings on the turbo and updated drain tube, etc...

What I'm doing is a coolant bypass filter and oil by pass filter....oil is the culprit to most of the issues with the 6.0...AMSOIL makes the oil bypass kit.

Here's some good info from a 6.0 guru:

OK I will send what i have like i said everything is a must if you plan on keeping your truck. 1. oil by-pass to clean the oil the stock filter (use only Ford Filters) cleans the oil to 20 microns the by pass cleans to 2 microns these injectors run in oil and try and use Syn oil but you must change at 5k because of the shear of the oil by the injectors.

2 Gauges-- I like the Edge Insight will give you a lot of information a great tool you need to know your temps, i'm running EOT-ECT-EGT-Trans no more than 15* difference in the ECT-EOT i think 10* if more your coolers are starting to get plugged.

3. Fuel pressure gauge under 45lbs kills injectors this is a must and run a centane boost in the fuel to clean the turbo and EGR valve and about everyother week drive it like you stole it after it warms up, that takes about 20-30 minutes of driveing to get the heads warmed up or get the oil to around 185-190* and never go over 28lbs of boost or you may stretch the head bolts, use only Ford or Racor fuel filter change at 15k and if you pull change at 10k

4. Coolent filter a must to remove the casting sand and all the other carp in the coolent to try and keep the coolers clean.

5. ELC coolent change, to remove the Ford Gold Crap coolent the number one reason these coolers fail, the coolent gets to hot (caused by the EGR cooler HOT gases dumping back in) then the silicates drop out turning into a goo slim and plugs the coolers, the first in line to plug is the oil cooler but the EGR cooler is the first to go because of the heat that is why if you do not have to go through DEQ testing a EGR delete is a good move then you could do a light tune (maybe) like the SCTX3 it is the only one because it works with the trans also but ARP studs are need also the down side is they have to pull the cab to do this, so I will stay stock.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:17 AM

So far I have done the coolant change (thermostat while I was in there.)

Oil change and ordered a stock of Racor filters to have around. Buddy just got a waste oil burner, so now I have a great place with a lift to change oil.

Edge CTS on it's way with EGT probe. Fuel pressure will have to wait on funds, like most everything else.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:12 AM

I've had an 04 Ex with 125K for about a year now and was also a former 5.9 Cummins guy. No major problems yet other than crappy 4x4 hubs. Selector switch froze on both and auto engage doesn't work too well. Going to replace with Warn manuals. Also replaced worn out ball joints and sway bar mount bushings. Done a lot of research here on the org and have lots of plans but haven't got around to much yet except new exhaust. Plans include Edge CTS, SCT X3, EGR delete, and others.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:22 AM

I noticed one of my front sway bar bushings is blown. It appears to have a keeper on the bolt that is gone. I am guessing that is a dealer item. Did you notice if your new ones came with the bolt or the keeper?
Old 01-25-2011, 02:03 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
So far I have done the coolant change (thermostat while I was in there.)

Oil change and ordered a stock of Racor filters to have around. Buddy just got a waste oil burner, so now I have a great place with a lift to change oil.

Edge CTS on it's way with EGT probe. Fuel pressure will have to wait on funds, like most everything else.
It looks like edge has a product on the horizon.

Pre-Ordered my Edge Fuel Pressure Guage
Old 01-25-2011, 02:24 PM

Quote:
I noticed one of my front sway bar bushings is blown. It appears to have a keeper on the bolt that is gone. I am guessing that is a dealer item. Did you notice if your new ones came with the bolt or the keeper?
Are you referring to the sway bar bushings or the sway bar link bushings?
I replaced the sway bar bushings that mount to the frame. There is a rubber bushing that wraps around the bar and then a u-shaped clamp that wraps around the bushing with a bolt on either side. The 2 rubber bushings came by themselves. Not sure where you can get the clamps or bolts. Definitely try your local autoparts store first before dealer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.