To Mod, or not to mod? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Ford Excursion Discussion This forum is for topics relating to the excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2010, 12:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
To Mod, or not to mod?

I have asked around in the General 6.0 Discussion, but thought I should feel out the other X owners as well. I recently purchased a used 2004 2WD X Limited with exactly 100K miles on it. To the best of my knowledge everything is completley stock on the truck. I will be using this primarily as a family vehivle. We have talked about getting another boat or a camper that we will pull with it, but right now there is absolutley no towing. My biggest goal is increased fuel economy. I hear of people getting close to 25mpg. So far, my calculations put me between 17 and 18. So, are there any mods that I should do to help increase this? I have been considering an EGR delete and a SCT programmer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2010, 01:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I think your first "mod" should be an Edge Insight. This will give you critical engine info that can help identify problems before they become costly repairs. It will tell you ECT/EOT differential. If the delta is greater than 15*, your oil cooler is likely clogged and that's a problem which could lead to flaash boiling of the coolant in the the EGR cooler and then blown head gaskets. Next I would go with a larger exhaust.

Now, if you start towing heavy...that's a whole new kettle of fish.

FWIW, I think 25mpg is a crock of crap.
Old 10-12-2010, 02:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindrift View Post

FWIW, I think 25mpg is a crock of crap.
Thats what I was thinking as well. I would be happy to get 20.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:53 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I agree with spindrift, I have a 2004 limited 4x4 and at best get around 20 hwy, around 70 mph. I would like to know how to get 25 mpg out of my rig, and I am sure that many others would like to know also. All kidding aside, gauges are the best place to start. You need to monitor your temps before they start writing checks for you. The 6.0 have some problems, mostly egr and oil cooler related, that can lead to very costly repairs if not watched. Like previously posted the EOT and ECT differential is key to monitor. While the gauge pod will not increase performance or milage it will increase peace of mind.

You can see what I run in my signature below. My truck is basically stock, with a couple of stability modifications. I have no desire to increase performance, though more mpg would be nice but is not necessary. I want a truck that is solid. I have seen more problems when people try to push more power. That is not to say that you will be exempt from the 6.0 problems just by running stock either. I have had very good results with what I have done and the truck runs great.
Old 10-28-2010, 03:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

If you guys think that sound crazy look what this guy has to say from ecomodder.com

32+ MPG Ford Excursion 4x4 Limited - Fuel Economy, Hypermiling, EcoModding News and Forum - EcoModder.com

32+ MPG Ford Excursion 4x4 Limited

Greetings everyone!

I just found this site while researching a new project car and thought I'd join up. (Looking at putting a turbo diesel into a 1966 Austin Mini Cooper.)

I've got a few more maintenance mods to make on my wife's Excursion, but between the new transmission and bigger injectors, shortly before our Christmas trip to Walt Disney World; it was a great discovery into how beneficial the upgrades were. With the fast traffic flow on the way over from North Texas, we averaged (all highway) ~26 MPG @ 70-75MPH (~2050-2300 RPM). We were able to stick to the speed limit on the way back and got ~32 MPG @ 60-65MPH (~1700-1900 RPM). City (suburban) driving is down around 18-20 MPG.

At almost 200K Miles, all of my focus lately has been on replacing / upgrading the brakes and suspension components. So, once I have that out of the way, I plan on adding a regulated return fuel system upgrade, which should make some significant improvements to engine noise, throttle response, and minor economy.

In case you’re wondering, in general, Excursions tend to have much better economy results after tuning than do F250s.

List of mods:
2001 Excursion 4x4 Limited, 7.3L PSD
-High Pressure Oil Rail Crossover Hose
-MBRP 4" Turbo Back with 3" down pipe
-4 possition Diesel Innovations Performance Chip
-International HO Performance Injectors
-ATS Transmission
Everything done by dieselinnovations.com

Project Power Stroke

Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.