Excursion Story... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Ford Excursion Discussion This forum is for topics relating to the excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2010, 06:28 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Excursion Story...

So, here is my little story... I sold my 2005 F-250 Superduty w/ 8 inch lift and 38s at the begining of June. I didnt really want to seel it, but I played with the idea one or twice and someone approached me and payed the high price I wanted for it in cash. So, I sold it.

Well, in the back of my mind, I have always wanted an Excursion. So, my journey led me to search for one, when I finally found one. I flew in to go get it, checked it out, and drove it back. I bought a 2003 Excursion Eddie Bauer w/ the 6 Liter. I have owned 4 Superdutys before this, and decide to get an Excursion before they become extinct!

So here is the calender of events. I bought it on July 9th as a birthday present for myself. I had the truck for 3 days before I got real busy with Wedding stuff as I got married on July 17th. While I was on my honeymoon, I had my buddy, who owns RPM Offroad, work on the truck. They are outstanding and have done a wonderful job.

Here is where the S*** hit the fan. I knew buying this truck I would have some stuff to repair on it. I knew since it was 8 years old, and since I didnt know the previous care of it, that I was sure there was stuff to be fixed on it. I got a really good deal on it, but not now! Since it has been there, I have replaced the whole entire steering, hubs, ball joints, shocks, u name it. By the time i was done with just fixing safety stuff (of course I upgraded on some to) my tab was over 3000! Well, there was still one thing on the list to be fixed. A coolant leak. I was praying that Head gaskets were not the issue. I knew at some point, like I did on my past 6 Liters that I would have to replace them, well, The Excursion S*** the bed, and it needs head gaskets. My bill for the Excursion is now over $6500!!! and I have driven it for 3 days in the 2 months I have owned it. So, now its getting new gaskets, new ARP Studs, EGR Delete, the whole works!

No disrespect to RPM Offroad as they have done a great job (they are long time good friends) but they guy who sold it to me is a complete A**H***!!! Oh well I guess.... So anyway, just wanted to rant a little. I pick it up next Friday 9/3. Here are some pics that I have been sent of it. I'll keep you all posted.
Attached Thumbnails
Excursion Story...-img00038-20100826-1750.jpg   Excursion Story...-img00039-20100826-1816.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2010, 06:31 AM
Shaking the Bush Boss

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I hate to read stories such as this one.
Atleast you know youll have a depedable Excursion now!
Old 08-27-2010, 06:53 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

this is why id never buy a 6.0... there junk.. an the excurson dana 50s always have problems.. my 2001 has needed bearing 2 times in 100k miles an the pinyon broke when i was pulling a truck out in sand..

all i here is bad storys about used 6.0 trucks sorry to here this guy sold you a truck needing so much work..
Old 08-27-2010, 06:54 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Old 09-13-2010, 11:12 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to thunderinms
just like the $1300 I am putting in rebuilding the front-end - you just have to pay for it and move on. I put $300 a month in a seperate account for maintenance for this reason. It is "paid" for (used a 401k loan while the market was high) and I am going to keep fixing it to 300,000 miles. It has 175,000 on it now. It has had since I bought it at 82,000:

New Oil Cooler/EGR Cooler (under warranty - phew!)
New Tranny External Filter
New Tranny Temp Gauge
New Alternator

This week:
New Ball Joints
New Shocks
New Bearings

Next Oil Change (around Thanksgiving or so...)
Coolant Flush and Fill
New Belt
Transfer Case and Rear End Fluid Change
Old 10-28-2010, 08:41 PM

Sorry to hear that, but it will be nice driving it knowing that now it has everything done to it that it should have had from the factory!

The enjoyment you will get out of it once you get it back will make up for the downtime. It is just a PITA when the previous owner had to be a prick and not let you know what was going on with the vehicle.
Old 10-29-2010, 10:27 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
If you drove the thing you already new the suspension was toast. The truck looks real nice. I see a 4 gauge A-Pillar setup in there. Did you add that or was it already there? Buying an 8 year old vehicle you need to check it out thoroughly and it appears you didn't do your homework well enough. Did you consider why you got a really good deal on it?

On the bright side you'll have a nice truck when done. Change the coolant to ELC while it's there.
Old 10-30-2010, 10:48 PM
haters gonna hate 24/7.

Also, with the fact of buying any 6.0, you have to do your homework so you can lessen your chances of coming across one of these deals.

Good news is that one of the biggest problem areas on the 6.0's is now cured.... you just gotta delete the egr cooler and your good to go.
Old 10-31-2010, 06:37 AM

Every time I read this stories my heart stops I have a 2003 Excursion with the 6.0 130k miles and so far so good but I wonder for how long, I'm 4 payments away from calling her mine
Old 12-01-2010, 08:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I'd make sure to either delete the EGR cooler or Plug it before it goes. Thats what takes out heads and studs. Do the delete and a mild tune, EGT gauge and you're insurance that your engine won't melt down is secure. I've had to do a lot to my excusrion when I first bought it. In order for it to be valuble make sure you have it checked out by a reputable mechanic, have the suspension checked carefully. Mine has 120K on it and it needed Ball Joints, Steering box, Shocks, and Sway Bar bushings. These repairs at a shop could cost$$$. However I'm resorcful enough to be able to do the repairs myself, but it still tallied up. I put about $2000 in repairs after spending $8000 for the thing. Oh yeah I had major A/C failure too, could happen to any vehical, but just my luck.

EGR Cooler delete/or plug
EGT gauge to monitor Exhaust Gas Temps into the turbo (they don't like anything over 1400 degrees sustained)
Mild tune to help driveability and lower exhaust temps

Stay away from 6.0L's around 100000 miles with no maintenance history. They probably have major problems if you don't know what you're looking for. Other wise it could help knock down the price.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.