Car is sold now time to choose an Ex! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Ford Excursion Discussion This forum is for topics relating to the excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2010, 07:44 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Car is sold now time to choose an Ex!

Its been a long few months trying to sell my car privately so I could get us the Ex we so desperately need. We have 4 kids with the 3 girls all in 4H riding club and the wife wanting a 30' + travel trailer. I had only 1 real choice in our next vehicle, an excursion with a powerstroke!

I have been researching these rigs for over 3 months now and have started to narrow down my choices. At first I was only looking at ones with 7.3's but upon further review I have found many owners having good luck with their 6.0's also. So then I figured well I would include 6.0's if they had lower Km's and came back with good oasis reports. The one thing I was keeping constant was that I wanted it to be basically stock (little or no upgrades), thinking that they wouldn't be bagged to beat hell. Well that went out the window pretty fast when I took a closer look at a couple 05's that are just awesome. 1 has a 6" procomp lift with it looks to be 35's, magnaflow turbo back, bullydog tuner and a CAI. The other 05 rig has a 4" lift with 33's and stainless steel aftermarket exhaust (don't know about any tuners yet).

These are both beautiful rigs and I would be happy with either one sitting on my acerage! The question is about towing with these rigs, what affect does 4" and 6" lifts do to my towing abilities? Should I go mostly stock or should I be seriously considering these 2 lifted Ex's? There will be lots of towing in the summer months but almost none in the winter, this will be our main family vehicle for some time.

Oh and one more question
Any thoughts on a basically stock 02 7.3 with a hypertech 100hp programmer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2010, 05:27 AM

I really have no knowledge when it comes to lifts and bigger tires. Should I rename the post and put it somewhere else?
Old 05-23-2010, 05:42 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I have a 2002 7.3 powerstroke. I had a 6 inch and 35s on it. I towed 30k with it one day. It went good but took a mile to stop. My problem with the lift was it was sagging my azz down and it was making it harder to steer. I took my lift off so I could tow better and so I could get a gooseneck. Now I am fine to tow 15k easily (thats all I have done yet). I would be careful with the canned tune trucks like bullydog, edge, superchips, banks, etc. Those are harder on the drivetrain than the custom tunes.
Old 05-23-2010, 06:45 AM

There is one with a leveling kit and 33's, would that be the better option over say the 6" procomp for towing?
Old 05-23-2010, 02:50 PM

My truck drives better, gets better mileage, and has a better feel without the lift. I liked the look of a lifted truck but I got tired of it lifted after 4 months. And with it being a family car, it would be easier for the family to get in a nonlifted truck. My grandpa could barely get in my truck, and it hurt his knees to step up that high. The reason Ford makes the trucks and excursions lower in the front is so when you hook a trailer up, the vehicle will sit level. That helps with the steering and handling of a vehicle.
Old 05-23-2010, 02:55 PM

Send a message via AIM to thesmokinstroke02
Quote:
Originally Posted by big sig View Post
My truck drives better, gets better mileage, and has a better feel without the lift. I liked the look of a lifted truck but I got tired of it lifted after 4 months. And with it being a family car, it would be easier for the family to get in a nonlifted truck. My grandpa could barely get in my truck, and it hurt his knees to step up that high. The reason Ford makes the trucks and excursions lower in the front is so when you hook a trailer up, the vehicle will sit level. That helps with the steering and handling of a vehicle.
Old 05-23-2010, 03:48 PM

I want a mostly stock Ex but I missed out on a bunch of them, I have one on my list but its got the highest mileage of all my choices (219,xxx kms aka, 136,xxx mi). I still have 2 weeks until I pull the trigger on one, hopefully another one comes up by then..

I did talk to the guy that owns the one with the leveling kit, other than the kit, rims and tires its a stock truck.
If I didn't like it, how hard would it be to return to stock?
Old 05-23-2010, 03:59 PM

Well the leveling kit will be easily taken. Someone could do that in an hour. If you found some stock rims you could put them back on it and the tires will tell the stock size on the door. How many miles does the one with the leveling kit on it have? Really 136xxx miles isnt too high.
Old 05-23-2010, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big sig View Post
Well the leveling kit will be easily taken. Someone could do that in an hour. If you found some stock rims you could put them back on it and the tires will tell the stock size on the door. How many miles does the one with the leveling kit on it have? Really 136xxx miles isnt too high.
98,000mi
It came from Texas, everything on the CarProof looks good, just gotta call my ford dealership to get an Oasis. The guys dad bought it when he was working near San Antonio.
Old 05-23-2010, 04:29 PM

Yeah and be sure to get the oasis on the 136k one too. I absolutely love my truck and love to drive it even more everyday. You should be fine with either truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.