Shocks of Choice - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Ford Excursion Discussion This forum is for topics relating to the excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2010, 03:28 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Shocks of Choice

Since I found this site it seems that all I've been doing is getting my 2003 excursion better and better

I'd like to replace the shocks, I have the stock suspension with Michelin's tires with OEM wheels, I do have air bags on the back, since I tow a 28 ft enclose car trailer.

What would be the best combination of front and rear shocks? Something that won't compromise the ride, but that it will help with the towing capabilities of this great truck.

Thanks in Advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2010, 06:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

How do you like the Air Bags? I'm looking at improving the rear capcity of our Excursion. We tow a 31ft travel trailer. This weekend was a little hairy with wind. The back of this turck is too squishy for the trailer and needs some help. I'd like to get it more stable. Did the Air bags help with roll control around conners and staility? I'd like to find out more about good towing shocks also.
Old 05-16-2010, 06:41 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send Caryt a message on here. He sell some Bilsteins for the Excursions and they make a HUGE difference.
Old 05-16-2010, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emower View Post
How do you like the Air Bags? I'm looking at improving the rear capcity of our Excursion. We tow a 31ft travel trailer. This weekend was a little hairy with wind. The back of this turck is too squishy for the trailer and needs some help. I'd like to get it more stable. Did the Air bags help with roll control around conners and staility? I'd like to find out more about good towing shocks also.
Hi, I'd like the air bags a lot, what I have noticed.

1. I can raise the rear and the truck feels more stable with the trailer behind.

2. Towing the Trailer the ride inside feels super nice.

3. Front end is even with the rear

4. we don't have many corners here in Florida but I drove to Atlanta with a big car inside and the trailer felt real good.

for sure I have to add some source stability to the trailer, side winds and 18 wheelers are stressfully as the trailer likes to dance side to side to side a lot.

Here is a photo of the truck

and one with the bags at 45psi with the trailer

Last edited by Turbo Wax; 07-03-2010 at 05:15 PM.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:03 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Turbo Wax,

I tow a similar 28' Pace with my 2005 Ex, with the Equalizer WD hitch and Roadmaster Active Suspension kit. Otherwise I'm stock. I've got about 10,000lbs (two cars in the trailer) towing off the hitch and it tows well. It keeps your attention though. I was told I didn't need bags if I used the RAS and so far I've been happy. One windy day going over the Skyway Bridge I was nervous but the rig was steady. I'm looking for Shocks myself and was trying to decide between the Bilsteins and the Rancho 9000's. I'm pretty sure I'm near the limit of the truck but I'm hoping to make a few upgrades to keep everything working well together. Any advice would be appreciated.

Joe
Old 06-11-2010, 09:09 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Bilstiens would be the better choice. Also could you install camper trailer sway control arms on that car hauler. I dont see why not, that would improve the side to side sway. Reese hitch sells several sway control systems depending on the weight of your load and length....Good Luck....Steve
Old 06-11-2010, 09:29 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

I recommend the Bilstiens aswell. Bang for the buck, they cant be beat!
Old 06-11-2010, 09:53 AM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
If its a 4x4 you need..V and modded B codes, 30mm Ford rear sway bar and the Correct Bilsteins. You will not belive the difference.

Cary
Old 06-23-2010, 10:08 AM

I have heard about this suggestion before 30mm Ford rear sway bar thats a OEM part?

Reese hitch is in my parts list but I'm looking for something simple, most of them seem over complicated
Old 06-26-2010, 04:16 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Icon FTW!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.